Dr. TieJun (TJ) Zhang
Associate Professor of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Phone: +971 2 810 9424
Dr. TieJun (TJ) Zhang is an Associate Professor of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at Masdar Institute, Khalifa University in Abu Dhabi UAE. He was also a visiting assistant professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA. He has mentored over 30 PhD/MSc students and postdoctoral research fellows as well as many intern students.
Dr. Zhang is the recipient of the UAE National Research Foundation University-Industry Research Collaboration Award and the US National Academy of Sciences Arab-American Frontiers Fellowship Award. In the past few years, he has been the principal investigator of multiple research projects on energy and micro/nanotechnologies (over US$8M). Dr. Zhang was a postdoctoral research associate at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) for a US Office of Naval Research MURI project. He received his PhD degree in mechanical engineering from the City University of Hong Kong (2008), and his MSc and BEng degrees in thermal power engineering from the Southeast University, China (2004 & 2001).
Dr. Zhang has over 120 peer-reviewed publications on phase-change heat transfer and microfluidics, nanomaterials synthesis and advanced micro-fabrication, solar power generation and refrigeration cooling, subsurface multiphase flow and water treatment, energy process dynamics and control. He is an active member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) NanoEngineering for Energy and Sustainability Steering Committee and ASME Heat Transfer Division K18 Technical Committee. As a member of ASME and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), he has organized and chaired many conference sessions. He is also a member of the American Physical Society (APS), American Chemical Society (ACS), Materials Research Society (MRS) and International Solar Energy Society (ISES).
Dr. Zhang was the co-chair (Arab-side) of the Fourth Arab-American Frontiers of Science, Engineering and Medicine Symposium between USA and 22 Arab countries (organized by the US National Academies). He was also the co-chair of 2018 MRS Spring Meeting Symposium EN11 Nanomaterials for the Water and Energy Nexus in USA.
Advisor to the following students:
- Ms. Hongxia Li
- Mr. Omar AlFarisi
- Ms. Qiaoyu Ge
- Mr. Saleh Mohamed
- Ms. Tawadud AlKatheeri
Postdoctoral Research Fellows
- Dr. Aikifa Raza
- Dr. Chun-Yu Lu
- Mr. Hongtao Zhang
- MEG507 – Advanced Heat Transfer
- MEG611 – Multiphase Thermal Fluids in Power and Energy Technologies
- MEG614 – Advanced Process Dynamics and Control
- Phase-Change Heat Transfer and Microfluidic Flow
- Nanomaterials Synthesis and Micro/Nanofabrication
- Concentrated Solar Power Generation and Cooling
- Subsurface Multiphase Flow and Water Treatment
- Energy Process Dynamics, Control and Optimization
- A. Raza, J.Y. Lu, S. Alzaim, H.X, Li, T.J. Zhang, “Novel Receiver-Enhanced Solar Vapor Generation: Review and Perspectives,” Energies, vol.11, 253, 2018.
- J.Y. Lu, Q. Ge, H.X. Li, A. Raza, T.J. Zhang, “Direct Prediction of Calcite Surface Wettability with First-Principles Quantum Simulation,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, vol.8, pp.5309-5316, 2017.
- K.L. Wilke, B. Barabadi, Z. Lu, T.J. Zhang, E.N. Wang, “Parametric Study of Thin Film Evaporation from Nanoporous Membranes,” Applied Physics Letters, vol.111, 171603, 2017.
- J.Y. Lu, A. Raza, …, A. Alketbi, N.X. Fang, G. Chen, T.J. Zhang, “Near-Perfect Ultrathin Nanocomposite Absorber with Self-Formed Topping Plasmonic Nanoparticles,” Advanced Optical Materials, vol.5, 1700222, 2017.
- H.X. Li, W.L. Yang, A. Aili, T.J. Zhang, “Insights into the Impact of Surface Hydrophobicity on Droplet Coalescence and Jumping Dynamics,” Langmuir, vol.33, pp.8574-8581, 2017.
- M.H. Alhosani, T.J. Zhang, “Dynamics of Microscale Liquid Propagation in Micropillar Arrays,” Langmuir, vol.33, pp.6620-6629, 2017.
- A. Aili, Q.Y. Ge, T.J. Zhang, “How Nanostructures Affect Water Droplet Nucleation on Superhydrophobic Surfaces,” Journal of Heat Transfer, vol.139, 112401, 2017.
- Y. Zhu, D.S. Antao, …, T.J. Zhang, E.N. Wang, “Suppressing High-Frequency Temperature Oscillations in Microchannels with Surface Structures,” Applied Physics Letters, vol.110, 033501, 2017.
- W.L. Yang, H.X. Li, …, T.J. Zhang, “A Novel Approach to the Analysis of Squeezed-film Air Damping in Microelectromechanical Systems,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, vol.27, 015012, 2017.
- G. Ni, G. Li, …, T.J. Zhang, G. Chen, “Steam Generation under One Sun Enabled by a Floating Structure with Thermal Concentration,” Nature Energy, vol.1, 16126, 2016.
- J.Y. Lu, A. Raza, N. X. Fang, G. Chen, T.J. Zhang, “Effective Dielectric Constants and Spectral Density Analysis of Plasmonic Nanocomposites,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol.120, 163103, 2016.
- A. Aili, H.X. Li, M.H. Alhosani, T.J. Zhang, “Unidirectional Fast Growth and Forced Jumping of Stretched Condensing Droplets on Nanostructured Microporous Surfaces,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol.8, pp.21776-21786, 2016.
- Y. Zhu, D.S. Antao, …, T.J. Zhang, E.N. Wang, “Surface Structure Enhanced Microchannel Flow Boiling,” Journal of Heat Transfer, vol.138, 091501, 2016.
- H.R. Liu, A. Raza, …, T.J. Zhang, “Sunlight-Sensitive Anti-Fouling Nanostructured TiO2 coated Cu Meshes for Ultrafast Oily Water Treatment,” Scientific Reports, vol.6, 25414, 2016.
- J.Y. Lu, S.H. Nam, … N.X. Fang, T.J. Zhang, “Localized Surface Plasmon Enhanced Ultrathin Film Broad-Band Nanoporous Absorbers,” Advanced Optical Materials, vol.4, pp.1255-1264, 2016.
- W.L. Yang, J.W. Gao, G. Feng, T.J. Zhang, “An Optimal Approach to Output-feedback Robust Model Predictive Control of LPV Systems with Disturbances,” International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, vol.26, pp.3253-3273, 2016.
- T.J. Zhang, “Transient Characteristics and Control of Active Thermal Management Systems,” Annual Review of Heat Transfer, vol.18, pp.245-328, 2015. (Invited)
- F. Xiao, S. Yuan, …, T.J. Zhang, “Superhydrophobic CuO Nanoneedle-covered Copper Surfaces for Anti-corrosion,” RSC Journal of Materials Chemistry A, vol.3, pp.4374-4388, 2015.
- T.J. Zhang, S. Mohamed, “Conceptual Design and Analysis of Hydrocarbon-Based Solar Thermal Power and Ejector Cooling Systems in Hot Climates,” Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, vol.137, 021001, 2015.
- G.Q. Li, M.H. Alhosani, …, T.J. Zhang, “Microscopic Droplet Formation and Energy Transport Analysis of Condensation on Scalable Superhydrophobic Nanostructured Copper Oxide Surfaces,” Langmuir, vol. 30, pp.14498-14511, 2014.
- J. Catano, T.J. Zhang, M.K. Jensen, et al., “Vapor Compression Refrigeration Cycle for Electronics Cooling–Part I: Dynamic Modeling and Experimental Validation; Part II: Gain-Scheduling Control for Critical Heat Flux Avoidance,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol.66, pp.911-929, 2013.
- T.J. Zhang, J.T. Wen, et al., “Stability Analysis and Maldistribution Control of Two-Phase Flow in Parallel Evaporating Channels,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol.54, pp. 5298-5305, 2011.
- T.J. Zhang, J.T. Wen, et al., “Two-Phase Refrigerant Flow Instability Analysis and Active Control in Transient Electronics Cooling Systems,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol.37, pp.84-97, 2011.
- T.J. Zhang, Y. Peles, et al., “Analysis and Active Control of Pressure-Drop Flow Instabilities in Boiling Microchannel Systems,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol.53, pp.2347-2360, 2010.
- T.J. Zhang, T. Tong, et al., “Ledinegg Instability in Microchannels,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 52, pp. 5661-5674, 2009.
- T.J. Zhang, G. Feng, X.J. Zeng, “Output Tracking of Constrained Nonlinear Processes with Offset-Free Input-to-State Stable Fuzzy Predictive Control,” Automatica, vol.45, pp.900-909, 2009