Dr. Dinesh Shetty has been an assistant professor of chemistry at Khalifa University, UAE, since 2019. He holds a Ph.D. degree in chemistry from Seoul National University (SNU), South Korea. From 2011 to 2013, he was a postdoctoral fellow at Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University, USA. He later moved back to South Korea in 2013, where he was a research fellow at the Center for Self-assembly and Complexity, Institute for Basic Science, POSTECH. In 2016, he moved to New York University Abu Dhabi as a research scientist. He is a trained chemist with working experience in multidisciplinary research areas, including material science, porous materials, supramolecular chemistry, water purification, catalysis, and membrane science, for the last 14 years. He authors over 50 peer-reviewed journal papers in leading scientific journals, including Chem. Soc. Rev., J. Am. Chem. Soc., Angew. Chem., Acc. Chem. Res., CHEM-Cell press, and Chem. Sci. etc. He has been invited speaker in leading international scientific conferences. He received the Young Investigator Award from both the Korean Society of Nuclear Medicine and the Korean Cancer Research Foundation. In addition, he is the recipient of the US National Academy of Science Arab-American Frontiers seed grant. His group research is focused on developing multifunctional porous polymers/frameworks and hybrid materials for various applications, including water purification, renewable energy, and catalysis. He writes poems and newspaper column articles, and podcasts his thoughts in his free time.
We have demonstrated a novel pre-synthetically controlled framework growth strategy to tune the hydrophobicity of the 3D-COF membranes without changing the building blocks or post-synthetic modifications. The hydrophobic 3D-COF membrane was utilized for the demulsification of an oil-water mixture. For more details: https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.202200905 Angew
. Chem.2022,134, e2022009
A metallated isoindigo-porphyrin covalent organic framework photocatalyst with narrow bandgap for efficient CO2 conversion. For more details: ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2022, 14, 1, 2015–2022
We report the targeted synthesis of interpenetrated and non-interpenetrated calixarene-based 2-dimensional covalent organic frameworks (COFs) by tuning applied conditions, thereby altering the conformational orientation of neighboring calixarene cones. These COFs have been utilized for charge-selective dye removal with an exceptional selectivity towards cationic dyes. For more details: J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2021, 143, 9, 3407–3415
Check our critical review article on porous polymers for water remediation: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chempr.2021.01.002
Porous polymers for water remediation. For more details: ACS applied materials & interfaces 13 (13), 14802-14815 ; Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology 7 (12), 2414-2414 ; ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 12 (38), 43160-43166 ; Journal of Materials Chemistry A 8 (28), 13942-13945 ; Chemical science 11 (3), 845-850 ; ACS applied materials & interfaces 11 (13), 12898-12903
Check our critical review on macroscopic covalent organic frameworks for water remediation: Environ. Sci.: Water Res. Technol., 2021, 7, 1895-1927
Polythiacalixarene-Embedded Gold Nanoparticles for Visible-Light-Driven Photocatalytic CO2 Reduction: https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.2c05606
1. Dr. Shetty has been awarded a 2.1 million AED research grant sponsored by Khalifa University under the name Competitive Internal Research Award (CIRA).
2. Our research was selected as one of the innovations to exhibit at the Dubai Expo2020 UAE pavilion under the theme 'Land of Dreamers Who Do'. For more details: Ep 3: Dr. Dinesh Shetty - Assistant Professor of Chemistry | ?. ????? ???? - ????? ?? ???????? - YouTube
3. The author profile of Dr. Shetty was introduced by the flagship top (1%) chemistry research journal Angew Chemistry International Edition. For more details: Dinesh Shetty - 2022 - Angewandte Chemie International Edition - Wiley Online Library
4. Dr. Shetty was invited to speak at UAE Pavilion thought leadership event on water security
5. Dr. Shetty delivered the invited talk at NYUAD Water Research Center Regional Workshop: “Water Research & Development: Pathways toward Environmental Sustainability"
6. Dr. Shetty received a 1 million AED Abu Dhabi Award for Research Excellence (AARE)-2020, a competitive research funding supported by Abu Dhabi Education Council.
We have two postdoctoral positions to work on conducting polymers/membranes for electrochemical desalination