Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly integrate research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in science, engineering, and medicine, and also to be a catalyst towards Abu Dhabi’s 2030 vision for a knowledge-based economy. Khalifa University has two campuses in the city of Abu Dhabi – the KU Main Campus and the Sas Al Nakhl Campus, the latter housing two of KU’s flagship research institutes: Masdar Institute and Petroleum Institute.
- Contribute to the development of the Department’s strategy, as well as annual business plans.
- Contribute to the development of the Department’s policies and procedures, in line with the overall business objectives of the University, ensuring they promote leading practices and excellence.
- Contribute to the development and management of the Department’s budgets and report back on a timely basis to ensure that divergences are addressed promptly.
- Manage an intellectual property portfolio from cradle-to-grave in accordance with the University’s intellectual property policy.
- Oversee the performance of invention intake and due diligence, including technical and market (including ownership/inventorship) identification of core novelty of the disclosed invention, market application, and competitive advantage; execute technology and market assessment, prior art search, and intellectual property landscape analytics processes.
- Determine the appropriate mechanism for the protection of disclosed intellectual property and direct patent prosecution to protect those inventions deemed both patentable and potentially viable as licensing candidates.
- Direct patent prosecution including engaging and overseeing outside IP counsel; assisting in differentiating the invention from prior art; identification of the core components demonstrating not only novelty but also non-obviousness and utility; and strategizing the construction of claims and jurisdictional determinations in support of the envisioned commercialization scenario.
- Generate public-information pieces, ‘technology teasers,’ for dissemination, summarizing the competitive advantages of technology in support of efforts to engage industry in its commercialization.
- Monitor and facilitate the development of inventions toward technologies mature for commercial deployment through licensing or other technology transfer transactions, adapting commercialization strategy appropriately, as the technology matures.
- Develop technology-specific marketing strategies and targeted lead lists for engaging the industry in the commercialization of university technologies. Contact targeted companies, structure mission appropriate
deals and negotiate terms for out-licensing, optimized for achieving the objectives of the university IP Policy.
- Value deals utilizing global, industry best practices through modeling and analysis of comparable transactions, in support of licensing activities.
- Negotiate such intellectual property terms in accordance with IP Policy for a variety of agreements including Non-Disclosure Agreements, Materials Transfer Agreements, Sponsored Research
Agreements, Grant Award and Sub award- Agreements, in- and out- Licenses, Patent Management.
- Support deployment of technology transfer capacity-building initiatives that meaningfully contribute to the growth of absorptive capacities for new technology adoption in Abu Dhabi & UAE in accordance with IP Policy.
- Raise awareness and IP Policy compliance obligations among members of the university community.
- Contribute to thought leadership on the issue of technology transfer-driven economic development in transition economies.
- Exemplify best portfolio management practices, by impeccably maintaining complete and accurate electronic records in university knowledge management system, Sophia™ (or other), which is a mandatory enabler of effective teamwork.
- Ensure adherence to the University’s information security policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensure coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager.
- Provide coaching, guidance, and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities of the team and ensure the achievement of established objectives and plans.
- Recommend appropriate training courses as per the pre-determined training needs, evaluate their effectiveness, and monitor their results.
- Carry out performance appraisals for subordinates according to planned schedules and recommend necessary actions as per the applied practices.
- Conduct periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
- Follow-up on employees’ administrative affairs such as vacations, leaves, and other administrative and related affairs.