||College of Arts and Sciences
Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly integrate research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in science, engineering, and medicine, and also to be a catalyst towards Abu Dhabi’s 2030 vision for a knowledge-based economy. Khalifa University has two campuses in the city of Abu Dhabi – the KU Main Campus and the Sas Al Nakhl Campus, the latter housing two of KU’s flagship research institutes: Masdar Institute and Petroleum Institute.
The Lab technician is responsible for providing a range of lab technical support activities and support in the Labs by assisting instructors and monitoring the facilities.
This particular laboratory technician prepares thin sections from rock samples collected by faculty for their research and postgraduate students for their projects, and for usage in teaching. This lab technician can prepare samples and run the SEM. Also the laboratory technician has experience with sedimentology lab equipment (e.g. Malvern grain size analysis).
- Handle day-to-day operation and coordination of the laboratories under the supervision of Chair and faculty members.
- Provide lab support for a range of courses at various levels to ensure instructional delivery complies with the quality and educational standards of the department/program.
- Maintain accurate student records.
- Provide support as required in writing lab manuals, procedures, and safety instructions.
- Ensure all equipment are maintained, serviced and repaired as required.
- Diagnose and rectifies minor faults/problems with equipment.
- Monitor and maintain a safe working environment in accordance to Health and Safety procedures.
- Train faculty and students and junior technicians in use of equipment and techniques.
- Ensure maintenance of current and future stock requirements of equipment and consumables.
- Ensure adherence to established HSE procedures and policies.
- Provide technical support for experimental equipment including troubleshooting.
- Identify requirements and equipment specifications, and assist with the procurement process of supplies and major equipment in the specific area.
- Maintain inventory and equipment of lab supplies according to safety measures.
- Ensure accurate completion of documentation, records and reports
- Coordinate with suppliers to obtain quotations and follow up with Finance and administration for contract preparation / renewal and for payments.
- Adhere to the University’s information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Coordinate with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager.
- Prepare thin sections for teaching and research purposes.
- Prepare samples for SEM analysis.
- Assist with operating the Scanning Electron Microscope.
- Operate the Malvern grain size analysis.
- Assist in supervising lab-work related to student research projects.
- A BSc in a Science related field or Diploma in a related technical field
- Experience with the processing of rock samples, and specifically the preparation of high-quality thin sections is required.
- Preferred Experience with sedimentology lab equipment (e.g., Malvern grain size analyzer).
- Preferred experience using SEM.
- Expats: A minimum 3 years of relevant experience.
- UAE Nationals: A minimum of 0-1 year of relevant experience
|How To Apply
||A complete application includes curriculum vitae, cover letter, photo, and the names and contact information of three references.