- Is Khalifa University of Science and Technology accredited?
All academic programs at Khalifa University are accredited with the Commission for Academic Accreditation of the UAE Ministry of Education and Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc. (ABET) accreditation for the new programs is underway, with 86% of undergraduate programs having received or are eligible for ABET accreditation. All academic programs at KU are accredited with the CAA of the UAE Ministry of Education for the new programs is underway.
- Is Khalifa University recognized internationally?
The internationally top-ranked Khalifa University is the one university in the UAE with the research and academic programs that address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing the UAE’s knowledge economy transformation and our rapidly evolving world. Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world.
Khalifa University enjoys active relationships and strategic partnerships with a number of higher education institutions from around the world. These partnerships provide student exchange opportunities, student sponsorships, employment opportunities for students, internship programs, and joint research programs. Strategic partners include, but are not limited to: Georgia Tech (USA), the University of Tokyo (Japan), the University of Western Australia, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Texas A&M University (USA), Tsinghua University (China), and the University of Naples Federico II (Italy).
- Is Khalifa University a government university or a private university?
Khalifa University is an independent, non-profit, coeducational institution with its own Board of Trustees that is accountable to the Government of Abu Dhabi for its charter.
- What does the University’s campus entail?
Khalifa University of Science and Technology has three campuses – a main campus and two satellite campuses in Sas Al Nakhl and Masdar City. The campuses include:
- What is the university’s higher education system modeled on?
The University is modeled around the American system of higher education and is actively developing an international network of partners, faculty members, and research programs to advance regionally relevant research and innovation in the UAE and the region.
Admissions and Scholarships
- What nationalities does Khalifa University accept?
Khalifa University is an international university, with enrolment from all over the world. Over 50 nationalities are represented among the student population and faculty. Khalifa University has among the highest percentage of female students, who represent over 58% of the student population. KU does not discriminate on the basis of nationality, religion, sect, or any special needs that students may have. As an institution of higher learning, we welcome a plurality of backgrounds and perspectives.
- Does Khalifa University offer scholarships?
Khalifa University and its partners offer a number of undergraduate scholarships for both Emirati and international students. These include:
Khalifa University offers partial and full scholarships to eligible UAE Resident undergraduate students
For postgraduate students, Khalifa University awards full scholarships to all admitted Emirati and international students.
- How much does it cost to study at Khalifa University?
The undergraduate program costs 3,333 AED per credit hour.
The Master’s program costs 5,000 AED per credit hour.
The Doctorate programs cost 6,666 AED per credit hour.
- What GPA would I need to be accepted to study Master’s degree at KU?
To apply for a MSc program, applicants must be a Bachelor’s graduate from a STEM program with a minimum CGPA of 3.0 out of 4 or its equivalent.
- What are the requirements for undergraduate admissions to KU?
Undergraduate admission to KU is highly competitive. To be considered for admission, potential students must meet strict criteria and requirements, which are listed on the Undergraduate Admissions Requirements page.
- Are there deferment options?
Admission is only valid for the academic semester specified in the admission letter. If an applicant is granted admission and for some reason does not register but intends to join the University in the following semester, then he/she should submit a written request to the Admissions and Registration Office no later than one month before the beginning of the semester. The request for admission for the following semester will depend on the availability of places and will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
- Can I transfer from another university to Khalifa University?
All transfer candidates who are interested in applying to Khalifa University should meet the admission requirements. In addition, they should submit an official copy of their transcript(s) along with the other admission documents to be considered upon evaluation of their admission application. No credit hours will be transferred if the candidate was accepted.
- How can I apply to study at KU?
Applications can be submitted via the KU website on or before the date listed by the Admissions teams on the Undergraduate Admissions page, the Graduate Admissions page, or the Doctor of Medicine page.
- What documents do I have to provide in order to apply?
- A completed Khalifa University online application form
- An attested copy of High School certificate.
Private school students should submit copies of their grade 10 and 11 certificates
British System students should submit certificates of their O level, AS and A levels. If final certificates are yet to be issued, a letter from the school stating predicted grades is required.
- TOEFL or IELTS certificates (original, plus an extra copy) if any.
- Good Conduct Certificate
- Passport (two copies)
- front and back page for UAE Nationals
- with visa permit for UAE residents
- A complete copy of Khulasat Al Qaid (UAE National Family Book) for UAE Nationals.
- Passport size photograph (five copies)
- Emirates ID (two copies)
- Copies printed onto A4 paper should be submitted, unless otherwise stated. Original documents maybe requested for verification.
- Please provide the school’s grading scale equivalency where required.
- All foreign and private school certificates must be equated and attested by the Ministry of Education in UAE.
- Applications with missing documents will not be accepted.
For further details, please visit click here to view the list of documents required for undergraduate admission.
- How many programs can I apply for?
Applicants can only apply to one program per semester.
- Does KU conduct entrance exams prior to admitting students?
All applicants who meet the minimum requirements must pass an entrance exam in mathematics (algebra and pre-calculous) math and physics admission tests. This does not apply to those who are eligible for Exemption from Entry Assessment.
- Do I need to take an English language proficiency test?
The language of instruction at KU is English and as such, all applicants must demonstrate their proficiency in English. Most applicants can satisfy this requirement by passing an English-based language test such as the academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the International Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) internet-based test (iBT). Potential students who have not met the minimum required score in an English proficiency test are required to sit an English language admission test. The purpose of this test is to determine the level of English course in which the student will be placed.
- What are IELTS and TOEFL test dates? Are they given at the Khalifa University of Science and Technology?
- How does Khalifa University prepare its graduates for employment?
All undergraduate students at Khalifa University undertake an 8-week internship (national and international), where they get the opportunity to explore the different perspectives of their major outside of the classroom. KU students intern at large local and global companies, including but not limited to STRATA, IBM, Siemens, Microsoft, Diehl, AMMROC, ENEC, NPCC, Schlumberger, Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ANDOC), and many more.
Eligible students are offered international internship opportunities in Japan through the Japan International Collaboration Center (JICE) program. The program provides students with an exceptional technical and cultural learning experience, and offers internships at companies like Chiyoda Corporation and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.
This year, an elective career and development course will be offered to students to prepare them for the world of work. Additionally, students have the opportunity to engage with top employers in the market through the on campus Career Fair, Internship Fair and dedicated Employers day.
- What are the employment statistics for graduates?
- What Bachelor’s degrees are offered at KU?
Khalifa University offers 12 Bachelor’s degree programs, some of which list optional concentrations.
- Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Geoscience
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Statistics
- What Master’s degrees are offered at KU?
Khalifa University offers 16 Master’s degree programs, of which some offer optional concentrations.
- Master of Science in Chemical Engineering
- Master of Science in Computing and Information Science
- Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Master of Science in Engineering Systems and Management
- Master of Science in Information Security
- Master of Science in Materials Science and Engineering
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Science in Nuclear Engineering
- Master of Science in Petroleum Engineering
- Master of Science in Sustainable Critical Infrastructure
- Master of Science in Water and Environmental Engineering
- Master of Science in Applied Chemistry
- Master of Science in Petroleum Geoscience
- Master of Engineering in Health, Safety and Environmental Engineering
- Master of Science by Research in Engineering
- Master of Arts in International and Civil Security
- What Doctoral degrees are offered at KU?
Khalifa University offers two PhD degree programs, one of which offers eleven optional concentrations, and one Doctor of Medicine program.
Doctor of Medicine (MD) Program
- Is Khalifa University’s medical program a Bachelor’s degree or a Master’s degree?
Khalifa University offers an American Doctor of Medicine (MD) program. KU’s MD Program is a 4-year commitment after a bachelor’s degree and culminates in a Doctor of Medicine degree.
- What makes KU’s medical program different to other ones?
The Khalifa University Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree is the first four-year post-graduate medical degree of its kind to be offered in the UAE.
The College of Medicine and Health Sciences at KU is the first medical school in the UAE’s capital Abu Dhabi. Khalifa University’s medical program is based on the American MD Program and differs from the British system in that it prepares graduates for specializations. The MD Program at KU is based on US standards, to fast-track our graduates to credentials with the American Medical Board. KU medical students will benefit from training on state-of-the art technologies from master professional instructors and clinical shadowing in hospitals in Abu Dhabi.
Qualified applicants receive generous scholarships that include tuition, assistance with student housing, and assistance to transition into the Abu Dhabi community.
- What is the Pre-Medicine Bridge Program?
KU offers interested students a one-year Pre-Medicine Bridge Program so they can transition into the American MD program. The Pre-Medicine Bridge Program provides courses to students who have completed a Bachelor’s degree and wish to pursue a Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree at the Khalifa University College of Medicine and Health Sciences.
This program helps students prepare for medical school by offering courses in the sciences necessary to study medicine. It also helps students study for and take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), a requirement for entry into the KU College of Medicine and Health Sciences. Participants receive career guidance from program faculty. Although participants are not guaranteed admission to medical school, participation in this program gives them an edge for interview and acceptance if they meet certain performance standards. Scholarships are available to all participants, and UAE Nationals receive an additional monthly stipend. Housing is available subject to availability.
Life in Abu Dhabi and KU
- Does KU offer accommodation to its accepted students?
Khalifa University provides student housing to academically able students who live beyond commuting distance to the campus (beyond 80 km). Living at Khalifa University’s residences offers students the opportunity to develop their social skills in tandem with their academic potential while forging lasting friendships and participating in social activities.
Our accommodation is only for sing-status students. Rental fees will be charged where applicable.
To see photos of the dorms, please click here.
- Are males and females allowed to interact on campus?
Khalifa University upholds a policy that aligns with the overall conservative atmosphere of the UAE. Although the campuses are co-educational, and students are allowed to meet in co-ed groups for projects, it is not permitted that male and female students casually interact without a valid purpose.
- Is alcohol consumption allowed on or off campus?
The UAE provides residents and citizens a balanced, stable and inclusive environment conducive to diversity, mutual respect, and prosperity. The ruling on alcohol consumption is a balance between globalization and conservative Islamic traditions so that non-Muslim foreigners are legally protected and allowed to purchase and consume alcohol when they follow the legal guidelines. Khalifa University however does not tolerate alcohol or tobacco use on campus or in university provided dorms.
- What is the cost of living in Abu Dhabi?
The city of Abu Dhabi ranks around the 50th percentile for the cost of living globally for major cities around the world. Food, rent, utilities, services, and transportation are of international standards and very affordable.
- How is campus life?
Campus life is operated by Student Life within the Student Services functions. Student Services are committed to enriching the University campus life by offering students a chance to take initiatives and assume leadership roles through student clubs and Student Council. Students are closely involved in organizing extracurricular activities, major and minor events on campus throughout the academic year.
- Is there transportation from the Residences to different campus location?
Student Transportation Office functions are available to ensure students are transported between the three campuses and between the Residences and campuses. A schedule for the different routes and timings is announced to all students.
- What amenities are included with the accommodation?
For undergraduate students given housing accommodation, the rooms are provided with bed linen that is cleaned on a weekly basis. The kitchen is equipped with a fridge, cooker, washing machine and microwave. The common living area is equipped with a TV. We advise students to bring their own detergent, soap, kitchen utensils and food items. All rooms have internet connection.
For Postgraduate students given housing accommodation in the Masdar City campus, they will be provided with a single apartment containing an ensuite, kitchen and living area with TV and internet connection.
Facilities on campus for all students include a gym, multi-purpose areas for sports activities, restaurants, coffee shops, and organic food store, plus a canteen that is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Do I have to attend the Orientation program?
It is essential to attend the Orientation program. Please refer to the Orientation dates for undergraduate and postgraduate through the Student Life messages. Attendance will significantly ease your transition experience to the University, and help in gaining a better understanding of the various academic and administrative services available on campus. The Orientation serves as a platform to get to know your fellow new students, and current students who will be present as volunteers, to assist throughout the program.
- Do you have a Student Council?
Khalifa University strongly believes in the active participation of students in the governance of the institute. Every student on campus, undergraduate or graduate, is eligible to serve on the student council, institute-wide committee or departmental advisory board as applicable.
One elected body of students formally named the Student Council with the mandate of advocating for and liaising between students and university management through campus life. A Charter is established and guides the Student Council and defines its functions, roles and responsibilities, and rules for its conduct and governance.
- Link to Academic calendar
Please find important dates related to our Academic Calendar here.