- Jallad, A.H., Marpu, P., Abdul Aziz, Z., Al Marar, A. and Awad, M., 2019. MeznSat—A 3U CubeSat for Monitoring Greenhouse Gases Using Short Wave Infra-Red Spectrometry: Mission Concept and Analysis. Aerospace, 6(11), p.118.
- Di Giovanni, A., Manenti, L., AlKhouri, F., AlKindi, L.R., AlMannaei, A., Al Qasim, A., Benabderrahmane, M.L., Bruno, G., Conicella, V., Fawwaz, O. and Marpu, P., 2019. Characterisation of a CeBr3 (LB) detector for space application. Journal of Instrumentation, 14(09), p.P09017.
- Roberts, M.S., Arneodo, F., di Giovanni, A., Al Qasim, A., Al Mannaei, A., Almarri, N., Alkindi, L., AlKhouri, F., Panicker, P., Ha, S. and Manenti, L., 2019, October. RAAD: a CubeSat-based soft gamma-ray detector for the study of terrestrial gamma-ray flashes and other short timescale phenomena. In Sensors, Systems, and Next-Generation Satellites XXIII (Vol. 11151, p. 111510Y). International Society for Optics and Photonics.
- Manandhar, P. and Marpu, P.R., 2019, July. Change Detection and Transfer Learning Approach for Updating the Habitat Maps in UAE. In IGARSS 2019-2019 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (pp. 2427-2430). IEEE.
- Alhammadi, A., Al-Shaibah, M., Almesmari, A., Vu, T., Tsoupos, A., Jarrar, F. and Marpu, P., 2019. Quasi-Static and Dynamic Response of a 1U Nano-Satellite during Launching. Proceedings of 8th European Conference for Aeronautics and Space Sciences.
- Niederstrasser, C., Marpu, P. R., Alkhaja, A., Vu, T. T., Kontogiannis, E., & Alshaer, A. A. (2019). The Role of Small Satellites in the Establishment of the Gulf Region’s First Graduate Level Space Studies Program. Proceedings of the International Astronautical Congress, 2019
- Almansoori, F., Marpu, P., & Aung, Z. (2018, November). Improved Power Control Approach for Better Data Throughput in CubeSat Nanosatellites. In 2018 International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology (IIT) (pp. 52-57). IEEE.
The key feature of this MSc degree in space concentration is its full integration with the CubeSat projects, which provides students with ample opportunities to work with a team of researchers of diverse technical disciplines in a project-based learning environment.
- A 3U CubeSat for studying Terrestrial Gamma Ray Flashes
- Technology Demonstration of the High-Speed Gamma Ray Detectors developed by NYUAD
- Collaboration with NSSA (Bahrain), whose engineers are participating in the bus development as students at KU
- Expected to launch in August 2021
- Develop software modules for attitude determination and control systems (ADCS).
- Testing pointing accuracy of different ADCS control strategies and validating them by taking a picture with a digital camera in the pointing direction.
- Expected to launch in March 2021 (NG-15)
- MeznSat is a 3U CubeSat satellite initiated and funded by the UAE Space Agency and in partnership with Masdar Institute/KU and the American University of Ras Al Khaimah (AURAK).
- MeznSat is an educational/scientific satellite aimed to enhance space research and education in the UAE and provide the UAE space industry with qualified well-trained graduates through hands-on experience.
- In addition, MeznSat scientific outcome will include monitoring the Green-House Gas (GHG) concentrations above UAE.
- Successfully launched on September 28, 2020 (Soyuz)
See press release here: https://www.ku.ac.ae/khalifa-universitys-meznsat-successfully-launches-into-space
- First CubeSat mission, intended primarily as an educational satellite
- It carried an experimental coin cell battery based on technology developed at Masdar Institute/KU along with a VGA camera developed at the lab based on COTS components
- Launched in November 2018 (NG-10), deployed in February 2019 (CYGNUS External Launch). Currently operational