A major focus of Nuclear Systems & Safety research is the development of robust methodologies to predict thermal hydraulic phenomena in single component and integral nuclear power plant systems to minimize the risks of faults.
Our tools lead the way for more detailed design optimization approach
to enhance the safety and the economic efficiency of nuclear power plants with the nuclear sector stakeholders’ research priorities in mind.
- Dr. Yacine Addad
- Dr. Ho Joon Yoon
- Dr. Saeed Alameri
- Dr. Ahmed Alkaabi
- Prof. Youssef Shatilla
The team’s research is focused on the following areas:
- Deterministic Safety Analysis/Probabilistic Safety Analysis
- Thermal-Hydraulic safety analysis during accident scenarios of nuclear power plants.
- Optimization of next generation reactor design and neutronic parameters, as well as the assessment of plant behavior by conducting the pertinent safety analyses studies.
- Best-Practice-Guidelines for industrial CFD users simulating nuclear industry related phenomena such as; thermal striping issues, deteriorated turbulent heat transfer in a nuclear systems, rod bundle flow and thermal field calculations, and so forth.
- Thermal-hydraulic analysis of Hybrid/renewable systems.
- H. Kim, S.A. Alameri, “Harmonizing Nuclear and Renewable Energy: Case Studies,” International Journal of Energy Research, in press. doi.org/10.1002/er.4987
- Alrwashdeh, S.A. Alameri, A.K. Alkaabi, “Preliminary Study of a Prismatic-Core Advanced High-Temperature Reactor Fuel Using Homogenization Double-Heterogeneous Method,” Nuclear Science and Engineering, vol. 194, issue 2, pp. 163-167 (2020).
- H. Kim, M.M. Song, S.A. Alameri, “Emerging areas of nuclear power applications,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 354, 110183 (2019).
- Alrwashdeh, S.A. Alameri, “Reactor Monte Carlo (RMC) model validation and verification in compare with MCNP for plate-type reactor,” AIP Advances, vol. 9, 075112 (2019).
- Alrwashdeh, S.A. Alameri, “Evaluation review of the 250Cf neutron cross section,” Applied Radiation and Isotopes, vol. 154, 108869 (2019).
- Al Nuaimi, S.A. Alameri, A.K. Alkaabi, Y. Shimazu, “New monitoring procedure of axial xenon oscillation in large pressurized water reactors,” Annals of Nuclear Energy, vol. 127, pp. 459-468, (2019).
- Alameri S.A., King, J.C., Alkaabi, A.K., Addad, Y.,  “Prismatic-core advanced high temperature reactor and thermal energy storage coupled system – A preliminary design”, Nuclear Engineering and Technology, 52(2), pp. 248-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.net.2019.07.028
- Moon, J., Jeong, Y.H., Addad, Y.,  “Design of air-cooled waste heat removal system with string type direct contact heat exchanger and investigation of oil film instability”, Nuclear Engineering and Technology, 52 (4), pp. 734-741. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.net.2019.10.010
- Amidu, M.A., Addad, Y.,  “Bubble-induced enhancement of single-phase liquid forced convection heat transfer during subcooled nucleate flow boiling”, Annals of Nuclear Energy, 134, pp. 60-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2019.06.001
- Kim S.G., Addad Y., Liu M., Lee J.I., Lee Y.,  “Computational investigation into heat transfer coefficients of randomly packed pebbles in flowing FLiBe”, Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, 145,118769. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2019.118769
- You B.-H., Jeong Y.H., Addad Y.  “Assessment of advanced RANS models’ ability to predict a turbulent swept liquid metal flow over a wire in a channel”, J. of Nuclear Eng. and Design, Volume 353, 110206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2019.110206
- Remache A., Addad Y., Sabeur-Bendehina A., Ouadha A.  “Thermal Design Optimization of Passive Cooling Capability in a Dry-Storage System by Adding Wall Undulations or semi-circular fins”, J. of Nuclear Eng. and Design, 347, pp. 140-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2019.03.028
- Abutayeh M., Addad Y., Abu-Nada E., Alazzam A.  “Doping Solar Field Heat Transfer Fluid with Nanoparticles”, ASME. J. Sol. Energy Eng., Transactions of the ASME 141(1),4041157. https://doi-org.libconnect.ku.ac.ae/10.1115/1.4041157
- Ho Joon Yoon , Waleed Al Naqbi, Omar Al Yaihi , Daeseong Jo, ” Validation of RELAP5 MOD3.3 code for Hybrid-SIT against SET and IET experimental data”, Nuclear Engineering and Technology, Feb 2020, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.net.2020.02.007
- In Seop Jeon, Ho Joon Yoon, Hyun Gook Kang,” Feasibility estimation of new mitigation system through causal inference analysis with functional model’, Annals of Nuclear Energy, Volume 137, March 2020, 107087. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2019.107087
- Omar S.Al-Yahia, Ho JoonYoon, DaeseongJo,” Bubble dynamic parameters during subcooled flow boiling under uniform and non-uniform transverse heat distribution”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Volume 143, November 2019, 118508. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2019.118508
- Do Yun Kim, Hee Cheon NO, Ho Joon Yoon, Sang Gyu Lim,” Thermal-hydraulic study of air-cooled passive decay heat removal system for APR+ under extended station blackout”, Nuclear Engineering and Technology, Volume 51, Issue 1, February 2019, Pages 60-72 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.net.2018.09.006