||Strand Leader, Medicine and Society
||Office of Academic Affairs, College of Medicine and Health Sciences
||College of Medicine and Health Sciences
Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly integrate research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in science, engineering, and medicine, and also to be a catalyst towards Abu Dhabi’s 2030 vision for a knowledge-based economy. Khalifa University has two campuses in the city of Abu Dhabi – the KU Main Campus and the Sas Al Nakhl Campus, the latter housing two of KU’s flagship research institutes: Masdar Institute and Petroleum Institute.
Essential to this role is the desire to train a new generation of medical specialists, as well as contribute to world-class research that improves practice while delivering a service to the University, the community, and the United Arab Emirates.
The responsibilities of faculty members shall be an appropriate combination of:
a) Dissemination of knowledge through undergraduate and / or graduate teaching;
b) Research, scholarly or other creative activities; and
c) Academic service
The position calls for a leading authority in clinical medicine and systems-based practice with experience in curriculum management.
The candidate is expected to have made a substantive contribution to their discipline and can show evidence of innovative curriculum development, a distinguished record of teaching, and proven academic leadership.
- Participate in the development of course outlines for all components within the strand
- Collaborate with other strand leaders to ensure that all program objectives are met
- Track program objectives within the strand
- Ensure that components within the strand have the educational resources (e.g., space, IT) to meet course objectives
- Work with the Assistant Dean for Medical Education to create the academic calendar and course calendars
- Ensure course syllabi are in compliance with institutional standards
- Contribute to the development, planning, and implementation of a high-quality curriculum
- Obtain student feedback and oversee assessments within the strand
- Provide reports to the curriculum committee regarding evaluations; advise the curriculum committee in all matters related to the strand
- Participate in the process of ensuring administration of quality assessment and evaluation tools
- Ensure timely submission of grades and evaluations
Research, Scholarly and Creative Activities
- Engage in scholarly or creative activities in their area of expertise and makes results available for critical peer review
- Deliver papers at professional association meetings, seminars, and conferences
- Participate in panels at regional and international meetings of professional organizations
- Contribute to departmental, or University-wide working groups or committees as requested
- Contribute to student recruitment, retention, and placement efforts
- Foster service by contributing to the community at large in a participatory, developmental, or advisory capacity
- Support and participate in student organization activities
- Adhere to the University’s information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- Coordinate with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
- A degree in Medicine (MD or MBBS)
- Experience in clinical medicine and healthcare systems, with demonstrable leadership in community engagement
- Demonstrable experience in teaching and mentorship at the undergraduate and postgraduate level
- Demonstrable abilities to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary and collegial team, well-developed interpersonal skills, and the ability to provide leadership and take the initiative
- A minimum of 5 years experience and experience in teaching at a level that is relevant to the position and would have made contributions to research and/or scholarship and/or teaching and administrative services of an organizational unit (e.g., a center, department)
|How To Apply
||A complete application includes curriculum vitae, cover letter, photo, and the names and contact information of three references.