Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly integrate research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in science, engineering, and medicine, and also to be a catalyst towards Abu Dhabi’s 2030 vision for a knowledge-based economy. Khalifa University has two campuses in the city of Abu Dhabi – the KU Main Campus and the Sas Al Nakhl Campus, the latter housing two of KU’s flagship research institutes: Masdar Institute and Petroleum Institute.
The Manager, Contracts is responsible for the provision of expert advice on contractual matters, agreements of all kinds, contracts, tenders, risks, claims, disputes and all issues that are governed by contract with clients, subcontractors, suppliers, partners and inter-office entities.
- Contribute to the development of the Department’s strategy, as well as annual business plans.
- Contribute to the development of the Department’s policies and procedures, in line with the overall business objectives of the University, ensuring they promote leading practices and excellence.
- Contribute to the development and management of the Department’s budgets and report back on a timely basis to ensure those divergences are addressed promptly.
- Plans and supervises various activities related to contracts including developing policies.
- Lead the development and management of Service Level Agreements and KPIs for existing and future contracts.
- Develop improved contracting procedures, standard documentation, processes and training materials.
- Design and develop contracts’ standards, including the creation, maintenance, and approval of clauses, variables, deliverables, and contract templates.
- Develop and review agreements’ documentation in coordination with the Legal Department with regards to contractual matters, particularly those related to terms and conditions, contractual claims and counterclaims, as appropriate.
- Coordinate the technical evaluation process, and participate in the commercial evaluation on the technically acceptable bids, and prepare award recommendations.
- Analyze the business risks associated with specific contracts and contract provisions, and communicate risks to the management to facilitate the decision-making process.
- Manage and coordinate the establishment of schedules and task assignments to ensure department service levels are maintained.
- Provide advice on contractual issues pre and post contract.
- Develop and maintain relationships with vendors and service representatives including market surveys for the latest trends in prices, availability, delivery and quality to ensure that materials and requirements meet established standards and that applicable policies, practices and procedures are understood and adhere to. Also manage vendor evaluation and approval processes.
- Prepare request for proposal and specifications includes endorsing recommendations on purchases requiring management approval. Also Interprets contract provisions and reviews contracts for accuracy and changes prior to bid and renewal. Evaluate overall revisions, price and past performance of each contract.
- Follow up the preparation of reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Keep abreast of new legislation, government policy, best practice and relevant external factors relevant to procurement and contracting activity.
- Manage the University’s salvage operation regarding consolidation of items for recycle and disposal in accordance with University policy.
- Ensure adherence to the University’s information security policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensure coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager.
- Provide coaching, guidance and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities of the team and ensure the achievement of established objectives and plans.
- Recommend appropriate training courses as per the pre-determined training needs, evaluate their effectiveness, and monitor their results.
- Carry out performance appraisals for subordinates according to planned schedules and recommend necessary actions as per the applied practices.
- Conduct periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
- Follow-up on employees’ administrative affairs such as vacations, leaves and other administrative and related affairs.