Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly integrate research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in science, engineering, and medicine, and also to be a catalyst towards Abu Dhabi’s 2030 vision for a knowledge-based economy. Khalifa University has two campuses in the city of Abu Dhabi – the KU Main Campus and the Sas Al Nakhl Campus, the latter housing two of KU’s flagship research institutes: Masdar Institute and Petroleum Institute.
Under general supervision and instructions from the line manager, the Lab Instructor – Pathology is expected to provide support services by performing technical work in a laboratory, prepare orders for laboratory materials, prepare material for laboratory activity, maintain adequate laboratory supplies, ensure that all equipment is in working order, and perform related duties as required.
The role requires individuals to undertake duties that require considerable technical knowledge and ability in the assigned field of specialization. The incumbent is expected to exercise independent judgement in the performance of duties and will be responsible for ensuring a safe working environment, supervising staff and students in the laboratory or classroom environments, maintain adequate stocks of all laboratory supplies, ensure that equipment is in working order, and keep adequate records.
- Ensure a safe working laboratory environment at CMHS, Khalifa University
- Support the delivery of teaching and learning(T&L) activities of the CMHS
Support the research and development(R&D) activities of the CMHS
- Prepare class demonstrations and experiments from working knowledge of the subject matter, reference materials, course outline, and without specific instructions
- Ensure that inventories, orders, receivables, stock materials, supplies, and equipment for laboratory use are maintained
- Issue and maintain records on materials loaned to students and staff
- Demonstrate and provide instructions to students in the proper use and care of laboratory materials and equipment
- Assist in maintaining the security of laboratories, laboratory equipment, supplies, and materials
- Prepare and dispense solutions and chemical materials used for lab classes, which may include reagents, chemicals, acids, bases, buffers, stains, and unknowns
- Prepare stains, solutions, and preservatives by mixing, bottling, and labeling
- Order, receive, and provide care for live laboratory specimens and storage of preserved specimens including human cadavers
- Clean up after each laboratory session by washing, and if necessary, sterilizing tools, equipment, and supplies
- Calibrate, maintain, and perform repairs on scientific equipment and supplies
- Assist faculty in assembling printed class materials
- Maintain expenditure records and provide data for budget estimates
- Monitor production of, collects, and processes hazardous waste materials and toxic chemicals resulting from lab classes, collects and properly store biohazard waste
- Adhere to the University’s information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- Coordinate with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
- Provide coaching, guidance, and mentoring to students and some external stakeholders (e.g., standardized patients) as well as staff, as directed, to enhance the internal capabilities of the team and ensure the achievement of established objectives and plans
- Recommend appropriate training courses as per the pre-determined training needs, evaluate their effectiveness, and monitor their results
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in arelated field (e.g., biomedical science) or equivalent combination of education/experience in the designated field of specialty for this position.
- First aid certificate is mandatory. This can be completed upon taking up this role.
This role requires at least 4-5-years of related experience in a field of biomedical science or specializing in the nominated discipline for this role. The successful applicant must also have the following experience:
- Have the ability to troubleshoot basic hardware/software issues
- Experience with statistical software package (i.e., SPSS) would be an advantage
- Worked in a team: work collaboratively with others to maximize individual and team effectiveness in order to achieve required service levels
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to demonstrate initiative
- Good written and verbal communication and reporting capability
- Learns quickly and responds effectively to changing operational needs and circumstances.
- Solve every-day student and staff issues by quickly identifying possible corrective measures and recommending/ selecting the best solution.
The following attributes will be considered advantageous:
- Experience with health-related learning technology and/or simulation
- Experience in a clinical environment
- Customer-focused and excellent interpersonal skills