||Core Lab Specialist, ACBC Core Labs
Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly integrate research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in science, engineering, and medicine, and also to be a catalyst towards Abu Dhabi’s 2030 vision for a knowledge-based economy. Khalifa University has two campuses in the city of Abu Dhabi – the KU Main Campus and the Sas Al Nakhl Campus, the latter housing two of KU’s flagship research institutes: Masdar Institute and Petroleum Institute.
The Core Labs Specialist is responsible for providing high-quality instructional support in labs, performing a broad range of duties related to the day-to-day operations of relevant laboratories, which includes equipment management, the maintenance of equipment and research support facilities, the training of users, the compliance of the lab with University Environmental, Health and Safety regulation (EHS), and proper and safe use of equipment and materials. The Core Labs Specialist will promote a culture of continuous improvement in order to ensure the shared laboratories continue to provide excellent levels of research user services.
- Drive practices and metrics that ensure the laboratories operate in compliance with all aspects of Khalifa University Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) policies.
- Coordinate operational policies and procedures and work with research staff on issues which impact laboratory services.
- Coordinate and supervise the performance of routine and specialized technical procedures in assigned laboratories.
- Assist with laboratory goals and operational procedures for quality, efficiency, and waste reduction.
- Ensure lab equipment is operational to the maximum extent possible and improve operations through efficient use of existing equipment.
- Monitors functionality of new equipment to ensure compliance.
- Improves lab operations through efficient use of existing equipment.
- Coordinate the installation of new equipment and maintaining the inventory of all lab equipment.
- Assist in the determination of fiscal requirements and in the preparation of budgetary recommendations, including recommending capital equipment expenditures, ensure appropriate resource levels, and comply with organizational expenditure requirements.
- Supervise and manage the inventory of commonly used lab supplies, maintenance parts, and any other items related to research lab operations.
- Evaluates technical requirements based on bids received from potential vendors for the purchase of lab equipment.
- Ensure information on the lab website is kept up to date including all training schedules, equipment schedules, and equipment descriptions.
- Guide the faculty and researchers on the purchase of consumables and accessories for equipment.
- Contribute to the continued innovation and development of the research program.
- Maintain liaison with investigators, research personnel, and staff to solve specific operating problems and improve technical activities.
- Adhere to the University’s information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Coordinate with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Science-related field.
- Expats: A minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience in research laboratories.
- UAE Nationals: A minimum of 3-5 years of relevant experience in research laboratories.
Required hands-on experience in the following EQUIPMENT:
- Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry system
- Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry system, GCMS (Agilent 7890B GC & 5977A MSD)
- Gas Chromatography System
- Gas Chromatography System, GC-FID (Agilent 7890B)
- Gas Chromatography System, GC-TCD-FID (SRI GC, 8610C)
- HPLC 2
- High-performance liquid chromatography system, HPLC (Agilent 1260)
- High-performance liquid chromatography system, HPLC (Waters Alliance)
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry system
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry system, ICPMS (Perkin Elmer NexIon 350X)
- Ion Chromatography System
- Ion Chromatography System, ICS (Thermo Scientific ICS 5000)
- ICP-OES (Thermo Scientific iCAP 6000)
- ICP-OES upgrade with accessories
- Ultra High Performance Chromatography System (Agilent 1290)
- Ultra High Performance Chromatography System (Waters Acquity H-Class)
|How To Apply
||A complete application includes curriculum vitae, cover letter, photo, and the names and contact information of three references.