||Core Lab Engineer
Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly integrate research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in science, engineering, and medicine, and also to be a catalyst towards Abu Dhabi’s 2030 vision for a knowledge-based economy. Khalifa University has two campuses in the city of Abu Dhabi – the KU Main Campus and the Sas Al Nakhl Campus, the latter housing two of KU’s flagship research institutes: Masdar Institute and Petroleum Institute.
The Core Lab Engineer is responsible for providing high-quality operational support in the University Research labs, performing a broad range of duties related to the day-to-day operations of relevant research laboratories, which includes equipment management, the maintenance of equipment and research support facilities, the training of staff, the compliance of the lab with University Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) regulations, and the proper and safe use of equipment and materials. The Core Lab Engineer will promote a culture of continuous improvement in order to ensure the shared laboratories continue to provide excellent levels of research user services.
- Drive practices and metrics that ensure the laboratories operate in compliance with all aspects of Khalifa University Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) policies.
- Assess and report safety hazards associated with maintenance of equipment.
- Ensure the safe and effective running of equipment.
- Supervise the performance of routine and specialized technical procedures in assigned laboratories.
- Contribute to laboratory goals and operational procedures for quality, efficiency, and waste reduction.
- Ensure that the procedures and protocols required to operate all laboratory equipment are recorded and available to all users and staff.
- Prepare daily operational log sheets and identify areas of analysis for repetitive equipment failures.
- Assess the need for replacements and establish replacement programs as necessary.
- Follow the work plan scheduled by the responsible faculty/PI and meet day-to-day short- and long-term objectives. Resolve issues through immediate action or short-term planning.
- Write certification test plans, design assurance test plans, test procedures, and formal test reports. Develop and write concise operational manuals and essential operational and safety procedures for equipment, instruments, and setups based on manufacturer operational manuals.
- Ensure the Research Lab equipment is operational to the maximum extent possible and improve operations through efficient use of existing equipment.
- Monitor functionality of new equipment to ensure compliance.
- Improve lab operations through efficient use of existing equipment.
- Coordinate the installation of new equipment and maintaining the inventory of all lab equipment.
- Design and fabricate systems for experimental purposes.
- Supervise the management of supply and parts inventory, manage the inventory of commonly used lab supplies.
- Evaluates technical requirements and solicits bids from potential vendors for the purchase of lab equipment.
- Advise the faculty and researchers purchase consumables and accessories for equipment.
- Prepare the list of required consumables, spares, and tools required on site as well as participate in cleaning the instruments as required
- Contribute to the continued innovation and development of the research program.
- Provide technical support to faculty members and students conducting research and participate in funded research projects.
- Compile and prepare reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends, and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Maintain liaison with investigators, research personnel, and staff to solve specific operating problems and improve technical activities.
- Manage the technical aspects of the request for quotation with spare parts approved suppliers and vendors.
- Adhere to the University’s information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Coordinate with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering in a related discipline.
- Expats: A minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience in research laboratories
- UAE Nationals: A minimum of 3-5 years of relevant experience in research laboratories
Required hands-on experience in the following:
- Hot-wire and hot-film anemometers
- Pressure scanners, Pitot tubes, and multi-hole probes
- Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) systems
- Laser-Doppler Velocimetry (LDV) systems
- Force balance
- Flow seeding and visualization equipment and consumables
- Data acquisition systems (DAQ), cameras, and optical components
- Traverse systems
- Abrasive cutting wheel
- Drill press
- Combination shear
- Rolling machine
- Instrumentation platform
- Sun aureole measurement
- C S Pond
- Energy nest project
- Azelio project
- Wahaj project
- Develop/maintain programs in Lab View for control and monitor of wind tunnel systems, such as the fan, traversing system, cooling system, turntables, and data acquisition system
- Develop/maintain programs in Lab View and Matlab for the different measurement techniques and relative data acquisition. Review test data for accuracy and completeness.
- Troubleshoot and isolate problems with aerodynamic test performance or data quality.
- Design, construction, and instrumentation of wind tunnel models, maintenance, and supply of the associated workshop
- Management of the outsourcing of manufacturing of advanced models.
- Specify and procure equipment needed to support aerodynamic testing
- Cutting metals
- Shearing sheet metal
- Rolling metal sheets
- Cutting metals
- Pressing or compacting metals
- Cutting metals
- Various measuring Instruments for solar and weather heliostats are used for daylighting or for the production of concentrated solar power
- Measure sun and weather condition
- Melting slot in high temperature
- Producing energy for oil
- Melting aluminum
- Melting steel
|How To Apply
||A complete application includes curriculum vitae, cover letter, photo, and the names and contact information of three references.