Graduate - Doctor of Medicine (M.D)
PRE-MEDICINE BRIDGE PROGRAM
About the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) Program
The 4-year course of study leading to the doctor of medicine (M.D.) degree employs a variety of educational strategies, including problem based learning and clinical experiences to enable students to gain the competencies expected of all physicians. Additionally, the program offers an emphasis on providing technology-enhanced healthcare in service to the community. The program prepares students for postgraduate study in any specialty, for licensure, and for future medical practice. It incorporates innovative curricular design that promotes scientific inquiry, critical thinking and comprehensive clinical expertise. Overall, the program evolves medical education in such a way as to prepare physicians for the next 20 years and beyond
The goal of the M.D. Program is to graduate physicians with the knowledge, skills, and attributes necessary to advance healthcare in the UAE. Admissions criteria are based on meeting this goal. The admissions process is holistic. The factors used to evaluate applicants include academic performance, non-academic experiences (e.g. leadership, service, research, clinical work), a demonstrable interest in healthcare, and personal attributes such as maturity, leadership, and resilience. Preference is given to Emirates and UAE Nationals, however international applicants are also eligible for admission. The M.D. program is co-educational, and participants must be prepared to work together in small groups , workshops, and clinical training sessions with members of the opposite gender.
1. Graduate of an accredited college or university
2. Bachelor’s degree or higher (science discipline preferred)
3. GPA: Cumulative GPA ≥ 3.0; Science GPA ≥ 3.0
4. MCAT: Official score must be provided. Scores ≥ 500 are preferred
5. English Proficiency as evidenced by:(any one of the below fulfills the English Proficiency equirement)
- iBT TOEFL (internet-based test) score of 91 or greater or
- Overall academic IELTS score of 6.5 or greater, or
- 1550 or greater EmSAT English score
- Exemption for native English speakers who have completed a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree at an English-speaking university
6. Required Pre-requisite Courses (Grade of C (or equivalent) or higher in each)
- 1. General Biology with laboratory – 2 semesters
- 2. General Chemistry with laboratory – 2 semesters
- 3. Organic Chemistry with laboratory – 2 semesters or Organic Chemistry with laboratory 1 semester plus Biochemistry – 1 semester
- 4. Physics with laboratory – 2 semesters
- 5. Mathematics (College Algebra or higher) – 2 semesters
7. Recommended Pre-requisite Courses (minimum 2 semesters in one or more of these areas)
- 4.Epidemiology / Statistics
- 5.Cell Biology
- 6.Foreign/Additional Language
- 13.Social Sciences
8. Non-Academic Experiences (Preferred)
- 1. Healthcare
- 2. Research
- 3. Organizational leadership
- 4. Community service / volunteerism
- 5. Design experience, demonstrated innovation/entrepreneurship
9. Student can meet Technical Standards with or without reasonable accommodation
APPLICATION PROCESSThe following required documents should be scanned in a clear and legible form and uploaded to the online application:
1.Certified copy of Bachelor’s/Master’s degree certificate(s) (as applicable).
2.Equivalency certificate issued by the UAE Ministry of Education for applicants that have graduated from institutions outside of the UAE.
3.Official transcript showing the grading scale.
4.English language proficiency score certificate (IELTS, TOEFL or EmSAT). Official TOEFL score reports can be sent directly by your institution to Khalifa University of Science and Technology using the institutional TOEFL code 0960.
5.Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) score.
6.Detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
7.Passport-style photograph on a white background.
8.Valid passport. International applicants who reside in the UAE should also upload a clear copy of their valid UAE visa.
9.Family Book (Khulasat Al Qaid – UAE National applicants only).
10.Valid UAE national ID card (for national and international applicants who currently reside in the UAE).
11. Personal statement (1000 to 2000 words) describing
- Why you wish to pursue a career as a physician (500 to 1000 Words) AND
- Why you wish to attend Khalifa University College of Medicine and Health Sciences (500 to 1000 Words).
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
Accepted applicants must submit all of their official documents before they register for classes. All documents received by the University are the property of Khalifa University and will not be returned.