Dr. Vassilios C. Kelessidis
Professor & Department Chair, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Ruwais Building, Room 3107a,
The Petroleum Institute, Khalifa University of Science & Technology
P.O. Box 2533,
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Office: +971 2 607 5386
Fax: +912 2 607 5200
Dr. Vassilios Kelessidis has joined Petroleum Engineering at Khalifa University in Abu Dhabi in January 2017 as a Professor and Department Chair. Prior to joining Khalifa University, Dr. Kelessidis was for four years at Texas A&M at Qatar, as Program Chair (2 years) and Professor of Petroleum Engineering. Before, he made it through all ranks in Mineral Resources Engineering Department at Technical University of Crete, Greece.
Prior to this, Professor Kelessidis has worked for over 9 years with different Schlumberger companies in Houston, France and England, working on drilling fluid issues, surface logging, kick control, cementing operations, drilling hydraulics, drilling optimization.
His main research interests are on, drilling engineering, drilling optimization, cuttings transport, drilling fluid development, drilling fluid rheology, formation damage, studying rock-bit interaction, and on new cement formulation. His activities extend to rock typing and understanding rock petrophysical properties and interaction of rock surfaces with formation fluids and mud filtrates and to fluid mechanics and multiphase flows.
Dr. Kelessidis is implementing a PC based drilling predictive simulator, which is a predictive tool to optimize the drilling process regarding Weight on Bit, Torque and Rotational Speed and bit condition, using field data.
Dr. Kelessidis has 41+ journal and 62+ refereed conference papers, more than 1110 citations and h-index of 18. He is leading author of Chapter 5 – Drilling Hydraulics, in ‘Fundamentals of Drilling Engineering’ edited by: Mitchell Miska in 2011 (SPE Textbook Series). He is Associate Editor in SPE Drilling and Completion Journal since October 2016.
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of Houston, TX, USA (1982–1985)
- M.Sc. Chemical Engineering, Oregon State University, OR, USA (1980–1982)
- Diploma Chemical Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, GREECE (1975–1980)
- Drilling Engineering
- Oil-Well Cementing
- Surface Production Facilities
- Well Control Operations
- Fluid Mechanics
- Senior Design Project
- Drilling fluid development, drilling fluid rheology, formation damage
- Drilling hydraulics
- Drilling optimization, rock-bit interaction
- Non-Newtonian fluid rheology and hydraulics
- Multiphase flows, fluid mechanics
- Z. Vryzas, V.C. Kelessidis. Nano-Based Drilling Fluids: A Review, Energies 10 (4), 540, 2017.
- Kelessidis, V.C., “Yield Stress of Bentonite Dispersions”, Rheology: open access, Vol. 1, 101, 1-12, 2017.
- Vryzas, Z., V.C. Kelessidis, L. Nalbandian, V. Zaspalis, D. Gerogiorgis, Y. Wubulikasimu, “Effect of temperature on the rheological properties of neat aqueous Wyoming sodium bentonite dispersions,” Applied Clay Sci., vol. 136, 26-36, 2017.
- Karakosta, E., L. Lagkaditi, S. ElHardalo, A. Biotaki, V.C. Kelessidis, M. Fardis, and G. Papavassiliou, “Pore Structure Evolution and Strength Development of G-type Elastic Oil Well Cement. A combined 1H NMR and Ultrasonic Study”, Cement & Concrete Research, vol. 72, 90–97, 2015.
- Chemeda, G.E. Christidis, N.M. Tauhid Khan, E. Koutsopoulou, V. Hatzistamou, V.C. Kelessidis, “Rheological properties of palygorskite-bentonite and sepiolite-bentonite mixed clay suspensions,” Applied Clay Science, vol. 90, 165–174, 2014.
- Mao, Z., C. Yang and V.C. Kelessidis, “Modelling and numerical simulation of yield viscoplastic fluid flow in concentric and eccentric annuli”, Chin. J. Chem. Eng., vol. 20, 1-12, 2012.
- Kelessidis, V.C., M. Poulakakis, V. Chatzistamou, “Use of Carbopol 980 and Carboxymethyl-Cellulose polymers as rheology modifiers of sodium-bentonite water dispersions”, Applied Clay Science, vol. 54, 63-69, 2011.
- Kelessidis, V.C., P. Dalamarinis, R. Maglione, “Experimental study and predictions of pressure losses of fluids modelled as Herschel-Bulkley in concentric and eccentric annuli in laminar, transitional and turbulent flow,” J Petroleum Science Engineering, vol. 77, 305-312, 2011.
- Kelessidis, V.C., “Rock drillability prediction with in-situ determined unconfined compressive strength of rock”, The Journal of The Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, vol. 111 (June), 1-8, 2011.
- Oyeneyin, M.B., V.C. Kelessidis, G. Bandelis and P. Dalamarinis, “Developing a managed pressure drilling strategy for casing drilling operations”, Advanced Materials Research, Vols. 62-64, 456-465, 2009.
- Founargiotakis, K., V.C. Kelessidis, R. Maglione, “Laminar, transitional and turbulent flow of Herschel-Bulkley fluids in concentric annulus,” J. Can. Chem. Engr., vol. 86, 676-683, 2008.
- VC Kelessidis, R Maglione, C Tsamantaki, Y Aspirtakis. Optimal determination of rheological parameters for Herschel–Bulkley drilling fluids and impact on pressure drop, velocity profiles and penetration rates during drilling, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 53 (3), 203-224, 2006.
- V.C. Kelessidis, Shallow and Specific Well Drilling (in Greek), Tziolas Publishing, 2011.
- V.C. Kelessidis, R. Maglione, R.E. Mitchel, “Chapter 5 – Drilling Hydraulics” in Fundamentals of Drilling Engineering, edited by: R.F. Mitchell and S.Z. Miska, 710 pp.; SPE Textbook Series No. 12, 2011.