Dr. Mohammed Raeef Haroun
Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Ruwais Building, Room 3111,
The Petroleum Institute, Khalifa University of Science & Technology
P.O. Box 2533,
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Office: +971 2 607 5326
Fax: +912 2 607 5200
Dr. Mohammed Haroun is a Technology Professional (Ph.D.) with over 18 years of experience in IOR R&D Petroleum Engineering, Science, Energy and Environmental Engineering
His academic and research is based on hybrid integrated training in Petroleum Engineering and Environmental Engineering together with focus on Energy Policy, aids in bridging aspects needed to reach comprehensive sustainable solutions.
Dr. Haroun has 80 publications, including conference proceedings, journals, book and 4 patents in emerging/hybrid EOR, oilfield scale control, environmental remediation from Abu Dhabi offshore muds, petroleum economics, risk and uncertainty in volumetric assessments of conventional and unconventional reservoirs and environomic water management technologies
- Ph.D. Environmental Engineering (Petroleum Engineering Concentration Emphasis on EOR), University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles, CA, USA (2009)
- Engineer Degree (Ph.D. Coursework) Petroleum Engineering, University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles, CA, USA (2007)
- M.S. Petroleum Engineering, University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles, CA, USA (2000)
- M.S. Environmental Engineering, University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles, CA,USA (2001)
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering Major, Petroleum Engineering Minor, University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles, CA, USA (1998)
- Economic, Risk and Formation Productivity Analysis
- Petroleum Project Economics
- HSE in Oil and Gas
- Senior Project Design
- Environmental Engineering
- Enhanced Oil Recovery
- Hybrid and Emerging EOR
- Environmental Control Technologies in the Petroleum Industry
- Hybrid EOR
- Electrokinetic EOR
- Nano/Surfactant EOR
- SMART EOR
- Hybrid Nano Acid IOR techniques
- Smart Waterflooding
- CO2 Foam Miscible gas and Advanced Mobility Control
- Petroleum Economics – Risk & Uncertainty
- Water Energy Nexus
- Ansari A., Haroun M., Al Kindy N., Ali B., Shrestha R. A., Sarma H. (2013), SPE 165909 “Smart Surfactant-EOR Approach Optimizing Mature Waterfloods in Abu Dhabi Carbonate Reservoirs”. Presented at the SPE Asia Pacific Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition, 22-24 October, Jakarta, Indonesia, 2013.
- Ansari, A., Haroun, M., Rahman: “Electrokinetic Driven Low-Concentration Acid Improved Oil Recovery in Abu Dhabi Tight Carbonate Reservoirs.” EA24928 Electrochimica Acta, (Electrochimica Acta DOI 10.1016/j.electacta.2015.04.174) Vol. 181, pp. 255-270, published by Elsevier, 2015.
- Ansari A., Haroun M., Rahman M. and Chilingar G., “A Novel Cost-Effective Approach for Enhancing Capillary Number while Stimulating Abu Dhabi Tight Carbonate Reservoirs”, SPE182046, Russian Petroleum Technology Conference and Exhibition, Moscow, 24-26 October, 2016.
- Haroun M., Chilingar G.V., Pamukcu S.: “The Efficacy of Using Electrokinetic Transport in Highly-Contaminated Offshore Sediments.” DOI: 10.1007/s10800-010-0084-z Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, (J. No. 10800; Article No. 84) published by Springer, 2010.
- Haroun M., Hassan S., Ansari A., Al Kindy N., Abou Sayed N., Ali B., Sarma H. (2012), SPE 162386 “Smart Nano-EOR Process for Abu Dhabi Carbonate Reservoirs”. Presented at the ADIPEC 2012 SPE Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference, November 2012.
- Haroun M., Al Kindy N. and Ansari A., (2014), “Applying EK to Achieve SMART (Simultaneous Assisted Recovery Techniques) EOR in Conventional and Tight Carbonate Reservoirs of Abu Dhabi” Presented at the 2014 Electrochemistry Gordon Research Conference, Ventura, CA, January, 2014.
- Haroun M., “A Novel Hybrid EOR Using Electrokinetic driven Nano/Surfactant in Developing SMART EOR in Abu Dhabi Carbonate Conventional and Tight Reservoirs”, Fourth Arab American Symposium Frontiers of Science, Engineering and Medicine, November, 2016.
- Haroun M., A. Mohammed, B. Somra, S. Punjabi, A. Temitope, Y. Yim, A. Stavroula, J. Abu Baker, L. Haoge, M. Al Kobaisi, M. Karakas, F. Aminzadeh, F. Corova “Real-Time Resistivity Monitoring Tool for in-situ Foam Front Tracking”, SPE-188391, November, 2017.
- Haroun M., Kim M, Al Kobaisi M., Rahman M., “Understanding the Impact of Hybrid Nano Acid Fluid (HNAF) Pulsed with Electrokinetics in Stimulating Carbonate Reservoirs”, Gordon Research Conference on Electrochemistry, Ventura, CA, 2018
- Y. Yim, M. Haroun, M. Al Kobaisi, Md. Motiur Rahman, Hemanta Sarma, Jorge Gomes “Experimental Investigation of Electrokinetic assisted Smart Brine Hybrid EOR in Carbonate Reservoirs”, SPE 188267, November, 2017.
- Haroun M., Wittle J., Chilingar G., Publication No. WO/2012/074510 published 2012. Title of the invention: “METHOD FOR ENHANCED OIL RECOVERY FROM CARBONATE RESERVOIRS.” Applicants: ELECTRO-PETROLEUM, INC. (US). 2012. (1st Inventor)
- Haroun M., Wittle J., Chilingar G., Ghosh, B., Publication No. WO/2012/158145 A1 published 2012. Title of the invention: “METHOD FOR ELECTROKINETIC PREVENTION OF SCALE DEPOSITION IN OIL PRODUCING WELL BORES.” Applicants: ELECTRO-PETROLEUM, INC. (US). 2012. (1st Inventor)
- Haroun M., Chilingar G., Rahman M., Publication No. WO2017060747A1 published 2017. Title of the invention: “Pulsed LOW-CONCENTRATION ACID ELECTROKINETIC METHOD FOR ENHANCED OIL RECOVERYFROM CARBONATE RESERVOIRS AND TIGHT RESERVOIRS” Applicants: Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E., 2017(1st Inventor)
- Haroun M., Al Kindy N., Sarma H., Publication No. WO2017060748A1 published 2017. Title of the invention: “ADVANCED ELECTROKINETIC (EK) OIL RECOVERY USING NANO PARTICLES AND SURFACTANTS” Applicants: Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E., 2017(1st Inventor