Dr. Md Motiur Rahman
Associate Professor, Department of Petroleum Engineering
Department of Petroleum Engineering
Arzanah Building, Room 8923,
The Petroleum Institute, Khalifa University of Science & Technology
P.O. Box 2533,
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Office: +971 2 607 5608
Fax: +971 2 607 5200
Dr. Md Motiur Rahman is currently the Associate Chair and an Associate Professor of Petroleum Engineering Department, Khalifa University of Science and Technology, Abu Dhabi. Dr. Rahman has been working as Associate Professor since January 2010 and has been teaching undergraduate and graduate courses and conducting researches.
His main research interest is in the area of Hydraulic fracturing, acid fracturing, matrix acidizing, smart water EOR and Electro-Kinetics-Low Acid EOR/IOR. He conducts researches which are internally funded and ADNOC-OSC funded. Researches include analytical, numerical and experimental works.
Dr. Rahman has published sixty articles in refereed journals and conference proceedings. He also delivered several presentations in international SPE conferences and workshops. He co-chaired several technical sessions in international conferences. Furthermore, he serves as a reviewer for reputable international journals in the area of petroleum engineering and energy resources.
Dr. Rahman has received a number of research awards, including R&D Research Top Ideas Award by ADNOC Oil & Gas Sub Committees, February 2014, and R&D Lantern Faculty Award by ADNOC Oil & Gas Sub Committees, February 2012.
Dr. Rahman also worked as an engineer (drilling and production) in an oil & gas exploration and production company (Sylhet Gas Fields Limited, an organization of Bangladesh Oil Gas & Mineral Corporation) in Bangladesh where he received hands on field experience for about five years (1985-1990).
- Ph.D. Petroleum Engineering, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia (1997-2002)
- Diploma Geothermal Energy Technology, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand, (1994-1994)
- M.E. Petroleum Engineering, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia(1991-1993)
- Grad. Dip. Petroleum Engineering, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia (1990-1990)
- B. Tech. Mining Engineering, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India (1981-1985)
- Optimization of hydraulic fracture & acid fracture treatment design
- Matrix acidizing with nanoparticles
- Electro-Kinetics EOR and EK-Low Acid IOR
- Smart Water EOR
- Reservoir fluid flow in multi-layer formations
- Olayiwola, S.O. and Rahman, M.M. “Optimizing Economic Number of Transverse Fractures in Horizontal Well – A Systematic Design for Maximum Tight Gas Recovery”, CSCanada Advances in Petroleum Exploration and Development, Vol. 13, No. 2, 2017, pp. 32-42.
- Ansari, A., Haroun, M., Rahman, M.M. and Chilingar, G.V., “Effect of Depth of Penetration on Capillary Number by Application of EK-Low-Concentration Acid IOR in Abu Dhabi Carbonates”, Interdisplinary Journal of Chemistry, 2(2), 2017, pp.1-12.
- Ansari, A., Haroun, M., Rahman, M.M., Chilingar, G.V. and Sarma, H. “A Novel Improved Oil Recovery Aproach for Increasing Capillary Number by Enhancing Depth of Penetration in Abu Dhabi Carbonate”, J. of Harmonized Research in Applied Sciences, 2017, 5(1), pp.13-36.
- Lu, J., Li, S. Rahman, M.M. and Escobar, F.H. “Production Performance of Horizontal gas Wells Associated with Non-Darcy Flow”, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 2016, 11 (11), pp.1-8.
- Ansari, A., Haroun, M., Rahman, M.M. and Chilingar, G.V. “Electrokinetic Driven Low-Concentration Acid Improved Oil Recovery in Abu Dhabi Tight Crabonate Reservoirs”, Electrochemica Acta, Elsevier, 2015, 181, pp. 255-270.
- Z. Wang and M.M. Rahman, “Numerical Modeling of Acid Fracture Conductivity to Improve Productivity Index of Tight Carbonate Oil Reservoirs”, CETI, Canadian Energy Technology & Innovation Journal, 2015, 2 (2), pp. 26-35.
- Z. Wang and M.M. Rahman, “Acid Fracturing Integrated Model to Enhance Productivity of Tight Carbonate Formation”, Petroleum Science and Technology, vol. 32, pp. 2422-2433, 2014.
- M.M. Rahman and H.K. Sarma, “Enhancing Tight Gas Recovery through Hydraulic Fracture treatment Design Optimization”, CSCanada-Advances in Petroleum Exploration and Development, vol. 5, pp. 1-7, 2013.
- M.M. Rahman and M.K.A. Abdulrazak “Enhancing Oil Production from Tight Formations Under Reverse Faulting Stress Regime by Multistage Fracturing”, Energy Sources, Part A, vol. 35, pp.2242-2249, 2013.
- M.K. Rahman, M.M. Salim and M.M. Rahman “Analytical Modeling of Non-Darcy Flow-induced Conductivity Damage in Propped Hydraulic Fractures”, J. of Energy Resources Technology, vol. 134, pp. 043101-1 – 043101-8, 2012.
- M.M. Rahman and M.K. Rahman, “Optimizing Hydraulic Fracture to Manage Sand Production by Predicting Critical Drawdown Pressure in Gas Well”, J. of Energy Resources Technology, vol. 134, pp. 013101-1 – 013101-9, 2012.
- M.A.Z. Omar and M.M. Rahman, “Modelling Pinpoint Multistage Fracturing with 2D Fracture Geometry for Tight Oil Sands”, Petroleum Science and Technology, vol. 29, pp. 1203-1213, 2011.