Dr. Ali Mohamed AlSumaiti
Assistant Professor, Department of Petroleum EngineeringRuwais Building, Room 3109,The Petroleum Institute, Khalifa University of Science & Technology
P.O. Box 2533, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Office: +971 2 607 5703
Fax: +912 2 607 5200
Dr. Ali AlSumaiti is an Assistant Professor of Petroleum Engineering at the Petroleum Institute (PI) based in Abu Dhabi. He is currently involved in developing several State-of-Art petroleum engineering labs ranging from core preparation to IOR/EOR in the new PI Research Center (PIRC) sponsored by ADNOC. He also serves as the Upstream Research coordinator in the Research and Development office.
Dr. AlSumaiti’s main research interest is in the area of experimental and numerical modeling of IOR/EOR methods with special focus on natural fracture reservoirs. He served on several technical and organizing committees for many local and international conferences and workshops, including ADIPEC. He is a board member of the Abu Dhabi SPE chapter and a reviewer in SPE journal.
- Ph.D. Petroleum Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO, USA (2011)
- M.Sc. Petroleum Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO, USA (2006)
- B.Sc. Petroleum Engineering, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, USA (2003)
- Reservoir Fluid Properties
- Reservoir Engineering
- Special Core Analysis (SCAL).
- Experimental and numerical modeling of IOR/EOR projects.
- Characterization and modeling of unconventional and natural fracture Reservoirs.
- Interdisciplinary and reservoir management projects.
- Eric Sonny Mathew, Abdul Ravoof ,Shaik, Ali M. AlSumaiti, and Waleed S. AlAmeri, “Effect of oil presence on CO2 foam based mobility control in High Temperature High Salinity Carbonate Reservoirs”, Energy & Fuels, Just Accepted Manuscript, DOI: 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.7b03490
- Muhammad R. Hashmet, Ali M. AlSumaiti, Yemna Qaiser, Waleed S. AlAmeri. “Laboratory Investigation and Simulation Modeling of Polymer Flooding in High Temperature High Salinity Carbonate Reservoirs”, Energy and Fuels, 2017, 31 (12) pp (13454 – 13465).
- Tembely, M., AlSumaiti, A. M., Jouini, M. S. and Rahimov, K. 2017. “The Effect of Heat Transfer and Polymer Concentration on Non-Newtonian Fluid from Pore-Scale Simulation of Carbonate Rock X-Ray micro-CT”, polymers, 9(10), 509; https://doi.org/10.3390/polym9100509
- Tembely, M., AlSumaiti, A. M., Rahimov, K. et al. 2017. “Numerical Simulation of Non-Newtonian Fluid Flow through a Rock Scanned with High Resolution X-ray Micro-CT”, Presented at the International Conference of Mechanical Engineering, Proc., World Congress on Engineering 2017, London, United Kingdom, 5-7 July, 958-960
- Sreela Pal, M. Mushtaq, Fawzi Banat, Ali M. Al Sumaiti “Review of Surfactant-assisted Chemical Enhanced Oil Recovery for Carbonate Reservoirs: Challenges and Future Perspectives”, Pet. Sci. (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12182-017-0198-6
- Ali M. AlSumaiti, Abdul Ravoof Shaik, Eric S. Mathew, and Waleed S. AlAmeri, ” Tuning Foam Parameters for Mobility Control using CO2 Foam: Field Application to Maximize Oil Recovery from a High Temperature High Salinity Layered Carbonate Reservoir”, Energy & Fuels 2017 31 (5), 4637-4654
- Jouini, M. S., AlSumaiti, A. M., Tembely, M. et al. 2017. “Multiscale simulation of absolute permeability in carbonate samples using 3D X-ray Micro Computed Tomography images”, Presented at the 7th International Conference on Modeling, Simulation, and Applied Optimization, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates, 4-6 April
- Muhammad Rehan Hashmet, Ali AlSumaiti, Waleed S. AlAmeri , Yemna Qaier, Eric Sony Mathews, “Risk & Sensitivity Analysis of Polymer Flooding in Carbonates Using Experimental Design and Statistical Tools” Presented at the SPE-KSA Annual Technical Symposium & Exhibition, Dammam, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 24-27 April, 2016. SPE-188125-MS, https://doi.org/10.2118/188125-MS
- Syed Muhammad Raza Qaudri, Li Jiran, Mohammed Shoaib, Muhammad Rehan Hashmet, Ali. M. AlSumaiti, Saeed AlHassaan, “Application of Biopolymer to Improve Oil Recovery in High Temperature High Salinity Carbonate Reservoirs”, SPE Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference, UAE, Nov 2015
- Teklu, T. W., Brown, J., Kazemi, H., Graves, R., & AlSumaiti, A. (2013). “A Critical Literature Review of Laboratory and Field Scale Determination of Residual Oil Saturation”, Paper presented at the 2013 SPE Production and Operations Symposium, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA.
- Teklu, T. W., Torcuk, M., Akinboyewa, J., Graves, R., Alharthy, N., Kazemi, H., & AlSumaiti, A. (2013). “Pressure and Rate Analysis of Fractured Low Permeability Gas Reservoirs: Numerical and Analytical Dual-Porosity Models”. Paper presented at the 2013 SPE Middle East Unconventional Gas Conference & Exhibition, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman.
- Teklu, T. W., Brown, J. S., Kazemi, H., Graves, R. M., & AlSumaiti, A. M. (2013b, June 10). “Residual Oil Saturation Determination – Case Studies in Sandstone and Carbonate Reservoirs”. Society of Petroleum Engineers. doi:10.2118/164825-MS
- AlSumaiti, A; Kazemi, H. “Experimental and Numerical Modeling od Double Displacement Oil Recovery in Tight Fractured Carbonate Reservoirs”. SPE 161186, presented at the Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition & Conference, Abu Dhabi, UAE, Nov. 11-14, 2012
- Teklu, T. W., Graves, R. M., Tutuncu, A. N., Kazemi, H., Alameri, W., & Alsumaiti, A. M. (2012). Geomechanics Considerations in Enhanced Oil Recovery. Paper presented at the SPE Canadian Unconventional Resources Conference, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- AlSumaiti, A. M. “Numerical and Experimental Modeling of Double Displacement Oil Recovery in Fractured Carbonate Reservoirs”, Petroleum Engineering Department, Colorado School of Mines, 2011
- AlSumaiti, A. M. “Comparison of Reserves Estimation by Deterministic and Probabilistic Techniques During Exploration, Appraisal, Development and Maturity Phases of an Offshore Oil Reservoir”, Petroleum Engineering Department, Colorado School of Mines, 2006