Department of Petroleum Engineering
The Petroleum Engineering department aims to become a leading international center of excellence in education, training, research and professional service dedicated to serving the competence, training and technology development needs of the petroleum industry in general, and the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) and other allied sponsors in particular. Our mission is to provide a platform for life-long learning while also emphasizing the importance of interdisciplinary approach, ethical conduct, and health, safety and environmental issues.
Arears of Career Specialization
The major arears of specialization in Petroleum Engineering students to develop their career are:
- Drilling Engineering
- Reservoir Engineering
- Production Engineering
- Surface Facility Engineering
Employment Opportunities in Industry
Graduates of Petroleum Engineering have huge opportunities of job placement with secure employment in the energy sector both in National and Independent Oil companies, oil and gas service companies. These include but not limited to the following:
- ADNOC and its several subsidiaries
The Petroleum Engineering Department offers both Graduate and Undergraduate programs with the courses being taught by highly skilled faculty from diverse educational background. Below are the programs offered by the department.
The Petroleum Engineering Undergraduate Program is designed to give students a robust education in the fundamentals of petroleum engineering science as well as the specific training to apply this knowledge in the oil and gas industries. The features of the program are the extensive laboratory work and the summer internship in industry, where students gain invaluable experience in the Middle East or elsewhere in the world.
The Petroleum Engineering Program at Khalifa University has a modern curriculum that emphasizes not only petroleum engineering fundamentals, but also the business processes applied to reach optimal engineering solutions for field development and operations.
Petroleum Engineering Programs is locally accredited by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research.
The curriculum and road map of study can be found in the following link: (PE Curriculum-2017-2018).
Dr. Mohamed Sassi
Professor and Acting Chair
Dr Waleed Salem Karama Alameri
Dr. Mohammed Saad Abdulla Al Kobaisi
Dr. Ali Mohamed AlSumaiti
Dr. Emad W. Al Shalabi
Dr. Hadi Arabi Belhaj
Dr. Bisweswar Ghosh
Dr. Mohamed Raeef Mohamed Haroun
Dr. Jing Lu
Prof. Samuel Osisanya
Dr. MD Motiur Rahman
Dr. Muhammad Arif
Mr. Mimoun Kissami
Mr. Abukari Iddris
Mr. Abdessamia A. Jebbouri
Senior Laboratory Technician
Mr. Mohammed Khaliq Naik
Mr. Naeem Iqbal
Ms. Manissha Rao
Senior Administrative Assistant
Research activities of Petroleum Engineering Department have always been at a very high level due to the strong boost and continuous support received from ADNOC and other International Oil Companies as well as by Oil Service Companies who provide access to their state of the art software packages. New faculty receive a Start-Up Fund to help them kick start their intended research work while existing faculty receive funding for their research after approval of their proposals. All the research was funded in the past by the ADNOC Oil Subcommittee and in the last 7 years or so, nearly AED 50 million research fund has been made available. Significant external networking with various high level research centers around the world is continuously sought. Currently research funding is sought after internal competitive funds as well as from external funding agencies, in the country, the region and around the world.
Research emphasis has been in the following area:
- EOR/IOR- Water-flooding, Miscible Gas Injection & Polymer/Surfactant
- Reservoir Characterization and Simulation
- Unconventional Reservoirs
- Stimulation, Workover and Well Testing
- Flow Assurance
- Energy Price Modeling and Risk Analysis
- Drilling & Well Completion
Some of the funded research projects (completed and ongoing) are as follows:
- Characterization and Modeling of Thick Carbonate Transition Zones
- Polymer/surfactant System for EOR in High Salinity, High Temperature, Carbonate Reservoirs
- Advance CO2 Mobility Control to Field Application
- Prediction and Modeling of Microemulsion Phase Behavior for ASP Flooding of Carbonate Reservoirs
- Experimental and Digital Rock Physics: Mechanical properties and multiphase flow properties from nanotomography to whole core scale analysis
- Multiscale Finite Volume Method for Fractured Porous Media with Geomechanical Effects
- Deep penetrating and self-diverting nano-structured stimulation fluid
- An Evaluation of the potential of smart waterflooding to enhance oil recovery from Asab field
- Performance of Unconventional Wells in Low Permeability Reservoirs with Threshold Pressure Gradient
- Performance of Partially Penetrating Vertical Wells in Multilayer Reservoirs with Crossflow
- Development of a new combination EOR technology- Alkaline Smart Waterflood