Prof. Marwan El Rich
Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Address: P.O. Box: 127788, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Prof. Marwan El-Rich joined Khalifa University in Summer 2016. He worked at the University of Alberta in the department of Civil and Environmental Engineering from 2010 to 2016. He was also adjunct professor in the department of Biomedical Engineering at the same university. Pro. Marwan worked as engineer expert in Biomechanics for two years at Altair Engineering France after completing tow years of postdoctoral fellowship at the Laboratory of Impact Biomechanics (LBA-INRETS) in Marseille (France). Prof. Marwan was awarded a PDF scholarship from the Government of Quebec (Canada). He is professional engineer (P.Eng.) and member of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA), the European Society of Biomechanics, and the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE). Prof. Marwan’s main research is Computational Biomechanics of the Human Musculoskeletal System with particular interest in Human Spine Modeling. He worked on a variety of projects including but not limited to determination of load-sharing in the lumbar and cervical spine under various loading conditions using Finite Element and Musculoskeletal models, development of a generic prosthetic talus, physical demands analysis of manufacturing operations etc. Prof. Marwan is working on a variarty of projects in collaboration with Cleveland Clinic Abu-Dhabi and Abu-Dhabi Police. The aim of Prof. Marwan’s research is to attract the clinical and industrial communities to establish collaborations and provide partial or full financial and in-kind support to train both undergraduate and graduate students in a unique learning environment supported by multidisciplinary collaboration that would benefit and unite students from various backgrounds, including biomedical and mechanical engineering, computer science, and medicine. Since he started his academic career, Prof. Marwan has supervisied 2 post-docs, 7 PhD, 4 MSc and 5 MEng students in Mechanical and Civil engineering. He is currently the advisor of 1 MSc and 1 Post-doc fellow. Prof. Marwan is Associate Editor for Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology journal (section Biomechanics) and reviewer for many scientific journals. Prof. Marwan has been recognized several times for his excellence in teaching.
Advisor to the following students & staffs:
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Tao Liu
- Saif Khalfan Salem Mohamed Almarzooqi
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Polytechnic Montreal, Canada (2005)
- MSc, Mechanical Engineering, Polytechnic Montreal,Canada (2000)
- BSc, Civil Engineering, Polytechnic Algiers, (1995)
- MEEN200 Statics
- MEEN201 Engineering Dynamics
- MEEN 325 Mechanics of Solids
- ENGR 455 Finite Element Analysis
- MEEN 495 Special Topics in Mechanical Engineering (Computational Biomechanics)
- MEEN 694 Selected Topics in Mechanical Engineering (Computational Biomechanics)
- Personalized Cervical and Lumbar Spine Load and Load-sharing
- Development of generic implants
- Develovment of smart devices for tele-rehabilitation and posture control
Recent Research Projects
- “Obesity and Low Back Pain in the UAE: Towards A Novel Subject Specific Assessment Tool” Sponsor Khalifa University, PI: Marwan El-Rich, 2018-2021.
The aim is to develop a patient-specific Low Back Pain (LBP) assessment tool based on MRI extracted data from LBP and normal individuals. A model that predicts quantitative data not obtainable from traditional imaging modalities, such as spinal loads and muscle forces will be created for assessment of LBP.
- “Functional Biomechanical Assessment of Gait and Movement Dysfunction in Emirati Stroke Survivors” Sponsor Khalifa University, PI: Kinda Khalaf, Co-PI : Marwan El-Rich, 2018-2021
This project aims to devise and implement a comprehensive methodology for the quantification of the gait and physiological patterns and the alteration of the biomechanics of the musculoskeletal joints of stroke survivors towards developing a novel patient-specific motion analysis framework that can be used in clinical settings for reliable quantitative post-stroke gait assessment.
- “Development of a novel prevention platform for neck posture assessment enabled via smart patches and artificial intelligence” Proposal submitted to ADEK for financial support. PI: Marwan El-Rich, Co-PI: Andreas Schiffer
We propose to develop a full functional neck posture correction platform guided through artificial intelligence (AI) to alert a person who uses a touchscreen handheld device or performs a task that requires maintaining awkward neck posture for long periods of time to correct his/her neck posture in order to prevent neck pain.
- Nikkhoo M, Cheng CH, Wang JL, Khoz Z, El-Rich M, Hebela N, Khalaf K., “Development and validation of a geometrically personalized finite element model of the lower ligamentous cervical spine for clinical applications.,” Comput Biol Med. vol 109, pp.22-32, 2019.
- Vafaeian B, Adeeb S, El-Rich M, Dulai SK, Jaremko JL., “Prediction of mechanical behavior of cartilaginous infant hips in pavlik harness: A subject-specific simulation study on normal and dysplastic hips.” J Orthop Res. vol 37, pp. 655-664, 2019
- Liu T, Khalaf K, Adeeb S, El-Rich M., “Effects of lumbo-pelvic rhythm on trunk muscle forces and disc loads during forward flexion: A combined musculoskeletal and finite element simulation study.” J Biomech. vol. 82, pp. 116-123, 2019
- Vafaeian B, Adeeb S, El-Rich M, Zonoobi D, Hareendranathan AR, Jaremko JL., “Hip Joint Contact Pressure Distribution During Pavlik Harness Treatment of an Infant Hip: A Patient-Specific Finite Element Model.” J Biomech Eng. vol 140, pp. 71009-1-91009-10, 2018
- Trovato AN, Bornes TD, El-Rich M, Dhillon SS, Adeeb S, Jomha NM. “Analysis of a generic talar prosthetic with a biological talus: A cadaver study.” J Orthop. 15, pp. 230-235, 2018
- Nikkhoo M, Wang JL, Parnianpour M, El-Rich M, Khalaf K. “Biomechanical response of intact, degenerated and repaired intervertebral discs under impact loading – Ex-vivo and In-Silico investigation” J Biomech. vol 70, pp. 26-32, 2018
- Liu T, Khalaf K, Naserkhaki S, El-Rich M. “Load-sharing in the lumbosacral spine in neutral standing & flexed postures – A combined finite element and inverse static study.” J Biomech., 70, pp. 43-50, 2018
- Arshad R, Angelini L, Zander T, Di Puccio F, El-Rich M, Schmidt H. “Spinal loads and trunk muscles forces during level walking – A combined in vivo and in silico study on six subjects.” J Biomech. 70, pp. 113-123, 2018
- Naserkhaki S, Arjmand N, Shirazi-Adl A, Farahmand F, El-Rich M. “Effects of eight different ligament property datasets on biomechanics of a lumbar L4-L5 finite element model.” J Biomech. 70, pp. 33-42, 2018
- Li X, Han SH, Gül M., Al-Hussein M., El-Rich M. “3D Visualization-Based Ergonomic Risk Assessment and Work Modification Framework and Its Validation for a Lifting Task” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management vol 144, pp. 04017093-1-04017093-13, 2018
- Li X, Komeili A, Gül M, El-Rich M.“A framework for evaluating muscle activity during repetitive manual material handling in construction manufacturing” Automation in Construction, vol 79, pp. 39-48, 2018
- Trovato A, El-Rich M, Adeeb S, Dhillon S, Jomha N. “Geometric analysis of the talus and development of a generic talar prosthetic.” Foot Ankle Surg. 23, pp. 89-94, 2017
- Naserkhaki S, El-Rich M. “Sensitivity of lumbar spine response to follower load and flexion moment: finite element study.” Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin. 20, pp. 550-557, 2017
- Vafaeian B, Zonoobi D, Mabee M, Hareendranathan AR, El-Rich M, Adeeb S, Jaremko JL. “Finite element analysis of mechanical behavior of human dysplastic hip joints: a systematic review.” Osteoarthritis Cartilage. vol. 25, pp. 438-447, 2017
- Vafaeian B, Adeeb S, El-Rich M, J Jaremko “Finite Element Modeling of Cartilage Contact Pressures During Harness Treatment of Hip Dysplasia” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage vol 25, S226-S227, 2017
- Kim MA, Trovato A, Prasad VI, El-Rich M, Dhillon S, Adeeb S, Jomha N. “Intra-operator and inter-operator reliability, and CT scan repeatability in 3D modelling of talus bone using CT imaging” Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin vol 6, pp. 660-667, 2017
- Naserkhaki S, Jaremko JL, El-Rich M. “Effects of inter-individual lumbar spine geometry variation on load-sharing: Geometrically personalized Finite Element study.” J Biomech. vol 49, pp.2909-2917, 2016
- Vafaeian B, Le LH, Tran TN, El-Rich M, El-Bialy T, Adeeb S. “Micro-scale finite element modeling of ultrasound propagation in aluminum trabecular bone-mimicking phantoms: A comparison between numerical simulation and experimental results.” Ultrasonics, vol 68, pp. 17-28, 2016
- Naserkhaki S, Jaremko JL, Adeeb S, El-Rich M. “On the load-sharing along the ligamentous lumbosacral spine in flexed and extended postures: Finite element study.” J Biomech. 49, pp. 974-982, 2016
- Mustafy T, Moglo K, Adeeb S, El-Rich M. “Injury mechanisms of the ligamentous cervical C2-C3 Functional Spinal Unit to complex loading modes: Finite Element study.” J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. vol. 53, pp. 384-396, 2016