Dr. YAP Yit Fatt
ِAssistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Office: +971 (0)2 607 5175
Dr. Yap Yit Fatt is an Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engineering. He was a Post-Doctoral Fellow in Nanyang Technological University and then a Research Associate in Petroleum Institute. His research interest include but not limited to development of numerical method for moving boundary problems in heat, mass and momentum transfer. He is an active reviewer of ASME Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications and Applied Thermal Engineering. He was awarded Reviewer of the Year 2018 and Best Reviewer 2017 of ASME Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications.
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Nanyang Technological University (2007)
- MEng, Mechanical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (2002)
- BEng, Mechanical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (2000)
- MEEG221 Engineering MATLAB
- MEEG302 Fluid Mechanics & Heat Transfer
- MEEG354 Fluid Mechanics
- MEEG365 Thermodynamics
- MEEG376 Core Measurements
- MEEG565 Computational Fluid Dynamics
- MEEN240 Thermodynamics
- MEEN335 Fluid Mechanics
- MEEN343 Heat Transfer
- Moving boundary problems in heat, mass and momentum transfer
- Multiphase flows
- Particle deposition
- Phase change heat transfer
Recent Research Projects
- Integrated Strategies for On-line Monitoring, Prediction and Remediation of Asphaltene Deposition Problems (Sponsor: ADNOC Oil-Subcommittee, Co-Investigator, 2014-2018)
The main objective is to develop an integrated approach for prediction of asphaltene deposition in wellbore, including establish fundamental understanding of asphaltene deposition mechanisms, enhancement of EOS-based simulation tools and dynamic integration with CFD model.
- Experimental and numerical studies on flow through porous media and capillary systems (Sponsor: ADNOC Oil-SubCommittee, Co-Investigator, 2013-2015)
In this project, a combined experimental and numerical approach is employed to investigate asphaltene deposition in porous media and capillaries. A novel total concentration approach is developed to capture the moving depositing front numerically during asphaltene deposition.
- Guan, J.C. Chai, A. Goharzadeh, F.M. Vargas, S.L. Biswal, W.G. Chapman, M. Zhang & Y.F. Yap, A unidirectional one-dimensional approach for asphaltene deposition in large length-to-diameter ratios scenarios, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 166 (2018) 857-870.
- Guan, A. Goharzadeh, J.C. Chai, F.M. Vargas, S.L. Biswal, W.G. Chapman, M. Zhang & Y.F. Yap, An Integrated Model for Asphaltene Deposition in Wellbores/Pipelines above Bubble Pressures, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 169 (2018) 353-373.
- Guan, Y.F. Yap, H.Y. Li & Z. Che, Modeling of nanofluid-fluid two-phase flow and heat transfer, International Journal of Computational Methods 15 (2018) 1850072.
- Y. Li, Y.F. Yap, J. Lou, J.C. Chai & Z. Shang, Conjugate Heat Transfer in Stratified Two-Fluid Flows with a Growing Deposit Layer, Applied Thermal Engineering 113 (2017) 215–228.
- Ge, Y.F. Yap, M. Zhang & J.C. Chai, Modeling Anisotropic Diffusion Using A Departure From Isotropy Approach, Computers & Fluids 86 (2013) 298-309.
- Ge, Y.F. Yap, F.M. Vargas, M. Zhang & J.C. Chai, A total concentration method for modeling of deposition, Num. Heat Transfer B: Fundamentals 61 (2012) 311-328.
- F. Yap & Chai J.C., Level-set method for multiphase flows, Computational Thermal Sciences 4 (2012) 507-515.
- Y.F. Yap, F.M. Vargas & J.C. Chai, A level-set method for convective-diffusive particle deposition, Applied Mathematical Modelling 37 (2013) 5245–5259.
- Liu, Y.F. Yap & N.T. Nguyen, Numerical study of the formation process of ferrofluid droplets, Physics of Fluids 23-7 (2011) 072008.
- C. Ho, Y.F. Yap, N.T. Nguyen & J.C.K. Chai, Thermally mediated droplet formation at a microfluidic T-junction, Micro and Nanosystems 3- 1 (2011) 65-75.
- Liu, S.H. Tan, Y.F. Yap, M.Y. Ng & N.T. Nguyen, Numerical and experimental investigations of the formation process of ferrofluid droplets, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics 11-2 (2011) 177-187.
- F. Yap, J.C. Chai, T.N. Wong & N.T. Nguyen, Chapter 5: Level-Set Method for Microscale Flows, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics Handbook: Fabrication, Implementation and Applications, edited by S.K. Mitra and S. Chakraborty, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2011, 175-194.
- F. Yap, J. Liu & J.C. Chai, Chapter 3: Computational Transport Processes for Micromixers, William Andrew Micro & Nano Technologies Series, Micromixers: Fundamentals, Design and Fabrication by N.T. Nguyen, 2011, 73-112.
- F. Yap, S.H. Tan, N.T. Nguyen, S.M. Sohel Murshed, T.N. Wong & L. Yobas, Thermally mediated control of liquid microdroplets at a bifurcation, J. of Physics D: Applied Physics 42 (2009) 065503.
- Liu, Y.F. Yap & N.T. Nguyen, Motion of a droplet through microfluidic ratchets, Physical Review E 80-4, (2009) 046319.
- L. Song, N.T. Nguyen, Y.F. Yap, T.D. Luong & A.K. Asundi, Multi-functional, optofluidic, in-plane, bi-concave lens: tuning light beam from focused to divergent, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics 10 (2011) 671-678.
- F. Yap, J.C. Chai, T.N. Wong, N.T. Nguyen, K.C. Toh, H.Y. Zhang & L. Yobas, A Procedure for the motion of particle-encapsulated droplets in microchannels, Num. Heat Transfer B: Fundamentals 53-1 (2008) 59-74.
- F. Yap, J.C. Chai, T.N. Wong, N.T. Nguyen, K.C. Toh & H.Y. Zhang, Particle transport in microchannels, Num. Heat Transfer B: Fundamentals 51-2 (2007) 141-157.
- F. Yap, J.C. Chai, T.N. Wong, K.C. Toh & H.Y. Zhang, A global mass correction scheme for the level-set method, Num. Heat Transfer B: Fundamentals 50-5 (2006) 455-472.
- Y.F. Yap, J.C. Chai, K.C. Toh, T.N. Wong & Y.C. Lam, Numerical modeling of unidirectional stratified flow with and without phase change, Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer 48 (2005) 477-486.