Dr. Wael Zaki
Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Address: P.O.Box: 127788, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Telephone: +971 (0)2 501 8511
Dr. Wael Zaki is associate professor of mechanical engineering at Khalifa University of Science & Technology. He received his MSc and PhD degrees in solid mechanics from Ecole Polytechnique, in 2003 and 2006 respectively, before completing a Habilitation Degree (HDR) at Pierre & Marie Curie University – Paris VI (now part of Sorbonne University) in 2014. Dr. Zaki specializes in constitutive modeling and fatigue analysis of advanced solids, including shape memory alloys and their composites. He is the recipient of Khalifa University’s Excellence in Research award for outstanding faculty research. He is also accredited “high-end foreign expert” in the area of smart materials by the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs of China. Dr. Zaki is currently working on developing research in the area of additive manufacturing of nitinol shape memory alloys.
Advisor to the following students & staff:
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Habilitation Degree (HDR), Pierre and Marie Curie – Paris VI, France, 2014
- PhD, Solid Mechanics, Ecole Polytechnique, France, 2006
- MSc, Advanced Structural Mechanics, Ecole Polytechnique, France, 2003
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering, Lebanese University, Lebanon, 2002
- MECH 225 Mechanics of Solids
- MECH 421 Mechanics of Deformable Solids
- MECH 604 Introduction to Continuum Mechanics
- MEEN 605 Continuum Mechanics
- MEEN 606 Advanced Mechanics of Solids and Materials
- MEEN 704 Computational Inelasticity
- Constitutive modeling of shape memory alloys (SMAs)
- Fatigue and fracture analysis
- Analytical modeling of SMA-reinforced smart composites
- Additive manufacturing of SMAs
Recent Research Projects
- “Constitutive Modeling and Fatigue Prediction for 3D Printed Nitinol Smart Alloys” (Sponsor: Khalifa University – CIRA, principal investigator, 2019-2022):
The project investigates the behavior and reliability of 3D-printed (3DP) nitinol shape memory alloys using experimental and theoretical methods. Constitutive models and fatigue criteria will be developed for 3DP nitinol and correlations will be established between the parameters of the 3DP process and the microstructure, mechanical behavior, and fatigue resistance of printed samples.
- “High-Throughput Deposition and Mechanical Characterization of Shape Memory Alloy Thin Films for Thermal Energy Harvesting” (Sponsor: KAIST/KU joint project, KU investigator, 2019-2020 extendable)
The goal of this project is to establish the feasibility of SMA thin films with adjustable thermomechanical properties using magnetron deposition. The thermomechanical properties of the films will be tailored by controlling their microstructure and chemical composition. The technology will be applied to creating a micro-scale SMA/piezoelectric hybrid solution for thermal energy harvesting.
- Viet, N.V., Zaki, W. Bending model for a laminated composite cantilever beam with multiple embedded shape memory alloy layers presenting tensile-compressive asymmetry (2019) Composite Structures, 229, art. no. 111410.
- Cissé, C., Zaki, W., Ben Zineb, T. Development and implementation of an effective constitutive model for architected cellular iron-based shape memory alloys: Pressure dependency and transformation-plasticity interaction (2019) Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 30 (12), pp. 1789-1822.
- Van Viet, N., Zaki, W., Umer, R. Bending theory for laminated composite cantilever beams with multiple embedded shape memory alloy layers (2019) Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 30 (10), pp. 1549-1568.
- Viet, N.V., Zaki, W. Analytical investigation of the behavior of concrete beams reinforced with multiple circular superelastic shape memory alloy bars (2019) Composite Structures, 210, pp. 958-970.
- Viet, N.V., Zaki, W., Umer, R., Xu, Y. Mathematical model for superelastic shape memory alloy springs with large spring index (2019) International Journal of Solids and Structures,in press.
- Viet, N.V., Zaki, W., Umer, R., Cissé, C. Analytical model for the torsional response of superelastic shape memory alloy circular sections subjected to a loading-unloading cycle (2019) International Journal of Solids and Structures, 156-157, pp. 49-60.
- Van Viet, N., Zaki, W., Umer, R. Analytical model for a superelastic Timoshenko shape memory alloy beam subjected to a loading–unloading cycle (2018) Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 29 (20), pp. 3902-3922.
- Viet, N.V., Zaki, W., Umer, R. Analytical model of functionally graded material/shape memory alloy composite cantilever beam under bending (2018) Composite Structures, 203, pp. 764-776.
- Cissé, C., Zaki, W., Ben Zineb, T. Numerical simulation of the behavior of steel T-stubs connected by Fe-based shape memory alloy bolts (2018) Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 29 (16), pp. 3284-3292.
- Viet, N.V., Zaki, W., Umer, R. Bending models for superelastic shape memory alloy laminated composite cantilever beams with elastic core layer (2018) Composites Part B: Engineering, 147, pp. 86-103.
- Viet, N.V., Zaki, W., Umer, R. Interlaminar shear stress function for adhesively bonded multi-layer metal laminates (2018) International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 82, pp. 14-20.
- Gu, X., Zhang, W., Zaki, W., Moumni, Z. An extended thermomechanically coupled 3D rate-dependent model for pseudoelastic SMAs under cyclic loading (2017) Smart Materials and Structures, 26 (9), art. no. 095047.
- Wang, J., Moumni, Z., Zhang, W., Zaki, W. A thermomechanically coupled finite deformation constitutive model for shape memory alloys based on Hencky strain (2017) International Journal of Engineering Science, 117, pp. 51-77.
- Wang, J., Moumni, Z., Zhang, W., Xu, Y., Zaki, W. A 3D finite-strain-based constitutive model for shape memory alloys accounting for thermomechanical coupling and martensite reorientation (2017) Smart Materials and Structures, 26 (6), art. no. 065006.
- Cissé, C., Zaki, W., Gu, X., Ben Zineb, T. A nonlinear 3D model for iron-based shape memory alloys considering different thermomechanical properties for austenite and martensite and coupling between transformation and plasticity (2017) Mechanics of Materials, 107, pp. 1-21.
- Gu, X., Zhang, W., Zaki, W., Moumni, Z. Numerical simulation of pseudoelastic shape memory alloys using the large time increment method (2017) Smart Materials and Structures, 26 (4), art. no. 045016.
- Gu, X., Moumni, Z., Zaki, W., Zhang, W. Shakedown based model for high-cycle fatigue of shape memory alloys (2016) Smart Materials and Structures, 25 (11), art. no. 115012.
- Cisse, C., Zaki, W., Zineb, T.B. A review of modeling techniques for advanced effects in shape memory alloy behavior (2016) Smart Materials and Structures, 25 (10), art. no. 103001.
- Hammadi, R.A., Yi, Y., Zaki, W., Cho, P., Jang, C. Mechanical factors in primary water stress corrosion cracking of cold-worked stainless steel(2016) Nuclear Engineering and Design, 301, pp. 24-31.
- Cisse, C., Zaki, W., Ben Zineb, T. A review of constitutive models and modeling techniques for shape memory alloys (2016) International Journal of Plasticity, 76, pp. 244-284.