Dr. Nader Vahdati
Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Office: +971 2 607 5787
Dr. Nader Vahdati is currently an Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering Department at Khalifa University. Before the merger of Petroleum Institute with Khalifa University, Dr. Vahdati served as a Deputy Chair, and Department Chair of the Mechanical Engineering Department from 2010 till 2017. Prior to the Khalifa University/Petroleum Institute, he was with the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore from 2001 to 2010. While at NTU, he did his research on hard disk drives, MR-fluid dampers and rotary brakes, heath or condition monitoring systems and integrated sensors, and semi-active/active hydraulic engine mounts. He also held the position of Director of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE) Part-time Program for 6 years. Prior to NTU, Dr. Vahdati spent 12 years in industry (Lord Corporation) and he held the position of staff engineer/Application Analytics Group Supervisor. During his tenure at Lord, he worked on active/semi-active suspension system, involving sensors, actuators, and controllers used for automotive and aerospace applications. He received his Ph.D. degree from the University of California, Davis, in System Dynamics and Controls. His main research interests are fiber optics based corrosion detection sensors, scale detection sensors, gas hydrate detection sensors, active/semi-active vibration and noise control, controllable fluids and devices, and smart materials and devices. He is Faculty Lab Coordinator for Asset Integrity Management (AIM) Lab.
Advisor to the following students & research staff:
- Miss Safieh AlMahmoud
- Arjun Ravikumar
- Mohammad Basem Abu Zant
- Ahmad Adnan Al-Jarrah
- Ahmed Elfadil Salih (Co-advisor)
- Mr. Murad N. Ali (Co-advisor)
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of California, USA (1989)
- MSME, Mechanical Engineering, University of Portland, USA (1984)
- BSME, Mechanical Engineering, University of Portland (1982)
- MEEN 201 Engineering Dynamics
- MEEN 350 Dynamic Systems and Vibration
- MEEN 356 Computer Controlled Systems
- MEEN 405 Vibration Analysis
- MEEN 439 Machine Dynamics
- MEEN 601 Advanced Dynamics
- MEEN 602 Advanced Vibrations
- MEEN 621 Feedback Control
- MEEN 622 Control System Theory and Design
- MEEN 762 Analysis and Simulation of Mechatronics Systems
- MEEN 764 Optimal Control
- MEEN 765 Acoustics and Noise Control
- Fiberoptic Based Corrosion Detection Sensors for Oil/Gas Pipelines
- Passive, Semi-active and Active Hydraulic Engine Mounts
- Biomedical Devices
- Controllable Fluids and Devices
- Smart Materials and Devices
Recent Research Projects:
Pipeline System Integrity Management (PSIM) Research Project, (Sponsor: ADNOC/KU, Principal Investigator: Nader Vahdati, 2015-2020, funding: $7 Million dollars. A joint project between KU, UMD and ADNOC. The focus of PSIM research project is on Fiber optics based corrosion sensors for detection of external and internal corrosion of oil and gas pipelines, fundamentals of corrosion, and Prognosis and Health Monitoring Research.
- Nonlinear Hydraulic Engine Mounts (Sponsor: KU, Principal Investigator: Nader Vahdati) and Electronic Hydraulic Engine Mounts (Sponsor: KU, Principal Investigator: Nader Vahdati)
In the above two research projects, research is ongoing to develop hydraulic engine mount designs that are sensitive to deflection (decoupler plate is removed and replaced with a new design) and fluid is removed but hydraulic engine mount behavior is retained.
- Fatigue Crack Growth Analysis of Aerospace Components. Sponsor: Republic of Singapore Air Force and DSTA, S$199,448, Principal Investigator: Nader Vahdati, to perform fatigue crack growth analysis and experiments on the F-5 and F-16 lug components. This project was a joint project between US Air Force Academy (USAFA), Republic of Singapore Air Force, DSTA, and NTU. 2009-2011.
- Smart suspension systems to mitigate shock of operating small form factor HDDs, (Sponsor: Seagate, Principal Investigator: Nader Vahdati), Funding: S$180,000. The purpose of this research project was to develop smart suspension systems to mitigate shock of operating small form factor HDDs subject to severe shocks. 2006-2010.
- Controllable Dampers for Wheeled Military Vehicles, (Sponsor: Singapore Technology Kinetics, Principal Investigator: Nader Vahdati). Funding: S$300,000. The purpose of this research project was to develop Magneto-rheological controllable dampers for wheeled military vehicles such that it has a very smooth ride over rough bumps yet has a good handling. 2004-2010.
- Abu Seer, T., Vahdati, N., Shiryayev, O., “Adaptive Torsional Tuned Vibration Absorber for Rotary Equipment,” Vibration 2(1), 116-134, 2019.
- Chen, B., Shiryayev, O., Vahdati, N., El-Sinawi, A., “Validation of a Modeling Tool for In-plane Longitudinal Resonators with Zigzag Topology,” International Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 11, No. 02, 2019, Q1.
- Yi, C., Rostron, P., Vahdati, N., Gunister, E., Alfantazi, A., “Curing kinetics and mechanical properties of epoxy based coatings: The influence of added solvent,” Progress in Organic Coatings, 124, pp. 165-174, 2018, Q1.
- Al-Mahmoud, S., Shiryayev, O., Vahdati, N., Rostron, P., “Detection of internal metal loss in steel pipes and storage tanks via magnetic-based fiber optic sensor,” Sensors, vol. 18, No. 3, 2018, Q1.
- Heidary, R., Gabriel S.A., Modarres, M., Groth, K.M., Vahdati, N., “A review of data-driven oil and gas pipeline pitting corrosion growth models applicable for prognostic and health management,” International Journal of Prognostics and Heath Management, Volume 9, issue 1, 2018, article number 009, Q2.
- Al Handawi, N. Vahdati, O. Shiryayev, L. Lawand, “Analytical modeling tool for design of hydrocarbon sensitive optical fibers,” Sensors, vol. 17, No. 10, 2017, Q1.
- Lawand, O. Shiryayev, K. Al Handawi, N. Vahdati, and P. Rostron, “Corrosivity Sensor for Exposed Pipelines Based on Wireless Energy Transfer,” Sensors, vol. 17, No. 6, 1238, 2017, Q1.
- Al Handawi, N. Vahdati, P. Rostron, L. Lawand, O. Shiryayev, Strain based FBG sensor for real-time corrosion rate monitoring in pre-stressed structures, Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical, 236, pp. 276-285, 2016, Q1.
- H. Hosseinloo, N. Vahdati, F.F. Yap, A Parametric Shock Analysis of Spade-less, light weight, wheeled, military vehicles Subjected to Cannon Firing Impact: a feasibility study, International Journal of Acoustics and Vibrations, 18 (4), 2013, Q3.
- H. Hosseinloo, F.F. Yap, N. Vahdati, Analytical Random Vibration Analysis of boundary-excited thin rectangular plates, International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, 13 (3), 2013, Q1.
- H. Hosseinloo, N. Vahdati, F.F. Yap, Performance of spade-less wheeled military vehicles with passive and semi-active suspensions during mortar firing, International Journal of Vehicle System Dynamics, 50 (10), pp 1515-1537, 2012, Q1.
- Tikani, S. Ziaei-Rad, N. Vahdati, Effective reduction of stiffness at peak frequency in hydraulic engine mounts by using magneto-rheological fluids, Journal of Vibroengineering, Vol. 14, issue 2, p 866-879, 2012, Q3.
- Assadsangabi, F. Daneshmand, N. Vahdati, M. Eghtesad, L.Y. Bazargan, Optimization and Design of Disk-Type MR-brakes, International Journal of Automotive Technology, V 12, n 6, p 921-932, December 2011, Q1.
- Tikani, N. Vahdati, S. Ziaei-Rad, M. Esfahanian, A New Hydraulic Engine Mount Design Without the Peak Frequency, Journal of Vibration and Control, v 17, n 11, p 1644-1656, October 2011, Q2.
- Vahdati, S. Heidari, A Novel Semi-Active Fluid Mount using a Multi-layer Piezoelectric Beam, Journal of Vibration and Control, 16 (14), pp 2215-2234, 2010. Impact factor: 0.656, Q2.
- Assadsangabi, M. Eghtesad, F. Daneshmand, N. Vahdati, Hybrid Sliding Mode Control of Semi-Active Suspension Systems, Journal of Smart Materials and Structures, v18, n 12, 10 pages, Dec 2009. Impact Factor: 1.743, Q1.
- Vahdati, N. Vahdati, Micro-machining of aluminum pipes using magnetic abrasive finishing, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, v 27, n3, p1503-5, May 2009. Impact Factor: 1.445, Q2.
- Vahdati, N. Vahdati, The influence of external load and air pressure on air slide table performance of ultra-precision machines in nano-machining, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, v 27, n4, p1989-1992, July 2009. Impact Factor: 1.445, Q2.
- Vahdati, M. Ahmdian, Hybrid Secondary Suspension Systems, Shock and Vibration (United States), v16, n 5, p 467-480, 2009. Impact Factor: 0.465, Q2.
- M. J. Mashayeki, N. Vahdati, “Application of Tuned Vibration Absorber (TVA) in fluid mounts”, Shock and Vibration (United States), v 16, n 6, p 565-580, 2009, Impact Factor: 0.465, Q2.