Dr. Mohamed Sassi
Full Professor, Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Acting Chair, Petroleum Engineering
Sas Al Nakhl Campus,
Ruwais Building, Room 3107a
T +971 2 607 5638
M +971 55 600 4645
Prof. Sassi is highly qualified professor of mechanical/chemical engineering with over 25 years of multi-disciplinary progressive experience in Academia and Industry with very good expertise in academic program development, management, and assessment. In research he is an internationally known expert in thermo-fluids, combustion, air pollution control, carbon capture and sequestration, optical and spectroscopic diagnostics and analysis methods, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) with chemical kinetics simulation, and technology development for clean energy and environmental protection applications in general. Lately he has been very much involved and funded for Digital Rock Physics (DRP), Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR), and multiphase flow in porous media. He has a worldwide work experience and strength in USA, Europe, and Middle East North Africa (MENA) region.
Advisor to the following students & staff:
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Mouna Zaidani (advisor)
- Hazem Mubarak (co-advisor)
- Roshan Philip Saji (advisor)
- Tariq Ahmed Khalil (co-advisor)
- Wenjuan Zhang (co-advisor)
- Director of Research (Habilitation à diriger des recherches), University of Orléans, France (1993)
- PhD Mechanical Engineering (Thermal Sciences and Combustion), UC Berkeley, USA (1990)
- MSc Mechanical Engineering (Thermal Sciences and Combustion), UC Berkeley, USA (1987)
- BSc Mechanical Engineering (With High Distinction), U of Rochester, New York, USA (1985)
- MEEN 201 Statics
- MEEN 240 Thermodynamics
- MEEN 344 Mechanics of Materials
- MEEN 611 Combustion Theory and Applications
- MEEN 725 Multiphase Flow in Porous Media
- Combustion and plasma
- Heat and mass transfer
- Multiphase flow in porous media
Recent Research Projects
- Experimental And Digital Rock Physics: Mechanical Properties and Flow Properties from Nano-tomography to whole Core Scale Analysis. Funded by ADNOC/TOTAL, Principal Investigators: M. Sassi, Noomane Keskes, Ali Al-Sumaiti, Rashid K. Abu Al-Rub, M. Jouiad. Amount: US$6.4M. Collaboration with Petroleum Institute and TOTAL.
- Experimental and Simulation Approach to Optimize Hydraulic Fracturing Design for Unconventional Reservoirs. Funded by ADCO. Principal Investigators: R.K. Abu Al-Rub, M. Sassi and R. Sousa. Dates: March ’16 – Feb ’19, Amount: US$1,700,000.
- Experimental and Numerical Modeling of Fractures Related to Bending. Funded by ADCO. Principal Investigators: R.K. Abu Al-Rub, M. Sassi and R. Sousa. Dates: March ’16 – Feb ’19, Amount: US$250,000.
- Impact of Pore-scale Wettability Changes on Three-phase Relative Permeability Characterization in Carbonate Reservoirs. Funded by Abu Dhabi National Oil Company R&D Oil Sub-Committee. Principal Investigators: TJ. Zhang, M. Jouiad, and M. Sassi, Dates: Dec 15 – Nov 18, Amount: US$2,700,000. Collaboration with PI and ADMA.
- SMART particle sensors for refinery catalytic bed reactors. Funded by Takreer Research Center. Principal Investigators: M. Sanduleanu, M. Jouiad, M. Sassi, D. Choi, M. Berteau, I. Mabauk. Dates: Feb 16 – Jan 19, Amount: $2,700,000.
- Farhana Faisal T., Islam A., Jouini M.S., Jouiad M., Sassi M.; Numerical prediction of carbonate elastic properties based on multi-scale imaging, Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment 20, 100125 (2019).
- Islam A., Faisal T.F., Chevalier S., Jouini M.S., Sassi M.; Multi-scale experimental and numerical simulation workflow of absolute permeability in heterogeneous carbonates, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 173, pp. 326-338 (2019).
- Zaidani M., Hasan A., Al-Musharfy M., Sassi M.; Numerical investigation of surface wettability on gas-liquid flow hydrodynamics in microchannel: Application to trickle bed reactors, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 106576 (2019).
- Ammar Hidouri, Mohamed Hichem Gazzah, Mohamed Sassi; “Numerical investigation of piloted turbulent reacting methane/air jet”, Computational Thermal Sciences: An International Journal (2018) DOI:10.1615/ComputThermalScien.2018021850
- Islam, S. Chevalier, M. Sassi, “Structural characterization and numerical simulations of flow properties of standard and reservoir carbonate rocks using micro-tomography,” Computers & Geosciences Volume 113, p. 14-22 (2018).
- Islam, A., Chevalier, S., Ben Salem, I. and M. Sassi., ‘‘Numerical simulation of gas injection in vertical water saturated porous medium’’. Environmental Modeling & Assessment 23 (4), 459-469 (2018).
- RS Devarapalli, A Islam, TF Faisal, M Sassi, M Jouiad, “Micro-CT and FIB-SEM imaging and pore structure characterization of dolomite rock at multiple scales”, Arabian Journal of Geosciences (2017) 10:361.
- Shahid Rabbani, Tariq Shamim, and Mohamed Sassi, “Numerical Modelling and Simulation of Gas-Liquid Trickle Flow in Trickle Bed Reactor using an Improved Phenomenological Model”, Energy Procedia 105 (2017) 4140-4145.
- Shahid Rabbani, Mohamed Sassi and Tariq Shamim, “Modelling of Hydrodynamics of fine particle deposition in packed-bed reactors”, The Journal of Computational Multiphase Flows (2017) 9(4), 157-168.
- TF Faisal, A Awedalkarim, S Chevalier, MS Jouini, M Sassi, “Direct scale comparison of numerical linear elastic moduli with acoustic experiments for carbonate rock X-ray CT scanned at multi-resolutions” Int. J. Petr. Sci. Eng. (2017) 152: 653-663.
- Humair Nadeem, Imen Ben Salem, Mohamed Sassi, “Experimental Visualization and Investigation of Multiphase Flow Regime Transition in Two-Dimensional Trickle Bed Reactors”, Chemical engineering Communications. (2017) 204: 388-397.
- Faisal, T. F., Chevalier, S., Bernabé, Y., Juanes, R. and M. Sassi. Quantitative and qualitative study of density driven CO2 mass transfer in a vertical Hele-Shaw cell. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. Vol. 81, 901-914. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2014.11.017.
- Chevalier, S., Faisal, T. F., Bernabé, Y., Juanes, R. and M. Sassi. Numerical sensitivity analysis of density driven CO2 convection with respect to different modelling and boundary conditions. Heat and Mass Transfer. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00231-014-1466-2.
- Islam, A., Chevalier, S., Ben Salem, I., Bernabé, Y., Juanes, R. and M. Sassi. 2014. Characterization of the crossover from capillary invasion to viscous fingering to fracturing during drainage in a vertical 2D porous medium. International Journal of Multiphase Flow. Vol. 58. Pages 279-291. http://10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2013.10.002.
- Jundika Candra Kurnia, Imen Ben Salem, Humair Nadeem, Tariq Shamim, Mohamed Sassi, “Numerical investigation of multiphase flow hydrodynamics in Trickle bed reactor”, Journal of Fluids Engineering (2014) FE-14-1210.
- Su L., Kumar R., Ogungbesan B., Su L. and M. Sassi. Gas heating and dissociation in a microwave plasma torch for hydrogen production. Energy Conversion and Management, 02/2014, Volume 78
- Babajide Ogungbesan, Rajneesh Kumar, Liu Su, Mohamed Sassi. Experimental validation of local thermal equilibrium in a MW plasma torch for hydrogen production. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy (2013), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.09.099
- Sassi M, Amira N, Chemical reactor network modelling of a microwave plasma thermal decomposition of H2S into hydrogen and sulphur, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 37 (2012) 10010-10019.
- H. Selim, A.K. Gupta, M. Sassi. Novel error propagation approach for reducing H2S/O2 reaction mechanism. Applied Energy 93 (2012) 116-124.