Dr. Mohamed Ibrahim Hassan Ali
Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Dr. Mohamed Ali is currently an associate professor in the Mechanical engineering department at Khalifa University, UAE. He served as an associate and assistant professor at the University of Helwan, Egypt, Masdar Institute, UAE, and as a senior research scientist and senior lecturer at the University of Kentucky, USA. During his academic careers, Dr. Ali established comprehensive experimental and computational studies on Hydrogen, Hydrocarbons, Biofuels and Syngas combustion. He developed a robust database for the laminar burning characteristics including flame-stability analysis. This database are used for developing a full and reduced reaction mechanisms for hydrogen, hydrocarbons, biofuels and syngas combustion and guided several research studies in understanding the burning rate as well as the stability conditions for hydrocarbon fuels under different preferential-diffusion conditions. He also accomplished a comprehensive computation fluid dynamics (CFD) studies for industrial burners and furnaces design, Internal-combustion-engines performance, waste heat recovery from flue gases, and water desalination. These CFD models guided to improve, optimize, and recover waste heat. He established a computational research study on the renewability of the solar CSP/gas power hybrid plant by using biofuel gas-turbine to replace the booster fire heaters and also to replace the solar shade time fire heaters to produce electricity during the night time. Also, a feasibility study is accomplished to use thermal storage technology versus CSP/gas hybrid power. In aluminum and steel industries, he developed several designs for heat to power and heat to heat recovery systems to utilize the furnaces and smelter cells flue gas to produce electricity, desalinate water and preheat solid scrap within the industrial plant. His achievements are very well cited and recognized in top journals in the field. He has served as the principle/co‐principal investigator of more than 20 projects. He was among 13 leading scientists in the US selected to improve the energy efficiency and develop an ingot-cracking index in the aluminum industry. Currently he is a member of the Center for Membrane and Advanced Water Technology (CMAT) and the Advanced Digital & Additive Manufacturing (ADAM) Centers at Khalifa University.
Advisor and co-Advisor to the following Active students & staffs:
- Gustavo Ospina-Aldana
- Mohamed Modrek
- Nada Baobaid
- Mohamad Khalil
- Alya Alhammadi
- Maryam Al Tamimi
- Saleh Mohamed
- Hamda Al Shibli
- PhD, joint program between Mechanical Engineering, Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt, and Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA (1997)
- MSc, Mechanical Engineering, Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt (1991)
- BSc, Mechanical Engineering, Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt (1987)
- MEEN603 Mechanical Engineering
- MEEN240 Mechanical Engineering
- MEEN607 Mechanical Engineering
- Boifuel combustion characterization
- Biodiesel Internal combustion engine performance
- Industrail energy and power modulation
- Water desalination
- TPMS heat sink thermal effictefness
- Industrial waste heat recovery
- Industrial furnaces exergetic efficiency
- Varaible refirgirant flow and district cooling
- Thermodynamic systems and processes performance analysis
Recent Research Projects
(Full list https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9897-3246)
- Integration of Renewable Energy in Key Industrial Sectors for UAE, Mohamed Ibrahim Hassan Ali (Co-PI), Sgouris Sgouridis (PI), Ali Bouabid (Co-PI), KU CIRA-2018, $361K, 2018 – 2021.
- Novel Micro/Nano‐Architected Metamaterials for Thermal Management, Mohamed Ibrahim Hassan Ali (Co-PI), Rashid K. Abu Al‐Rub (PI), Kamran A. Khan (Co-PI), CIRA-2018, $433K, 2018 – 2021.
- Direct Contact Membrane Distillation (MD) Performance Evaluation Using Computational Approach, Mohamed Ibrahim Hassan Ali (PI), Hassan Arafat (Co-PI), Isam Janajreh (Co-PI), Center of Excellence for Membranes & Advanced Water Technology (CMAT), $100K, 2018 – 2021.
- Predictive Shimming, STRATA, Mohamed Ibrahim Hassan Ali (Co-PI), Khaled ElBassioni (Co-PI), and Wei Woon (PI), $215,457, 2017.
- Freeze Crystallization: Near Zero Brine Rejection, Mohamed Ibrahim Hassan Ali (co-PI), Hassan Arafat (Co-PI), Isam Janajreh (PI), Center of Excellence for Membranes & Advanced Water Technology (CMAT), $100K, 2018 – 2021.
- Gustavo Ospina, Mohamed Y E Selim, Mohamed I. Hassan, “Engine Roughness and Exhaust Emissions of a Diesel Engine Fueled with Three Biofuels, Renewable Energy, 134, 1465-1472, 2019.
- P Yazgan-Birgi, M. I. H Ali, HA Arafat, “Estimation of liquid entry pressure in hydrophobic membranes using CFD tools,” Journal of Membrane Science, 552, 68-76, 2018.
- R Saab, H Al Quabeh, MIH Ali, “Variable refrigerant flow cooling assessment in humid environment using different refrigerants,” Journal of environmental management, 224, 243-251, 2018.
- P Yazgan-Birgi, MIH Ali, J Swaminathan, HA Arafat, “Computational fluid dynamics modeling for performance assessment of permeate gap membrane distillation,” Journal of Membrane Science, 568, 55-66, 2018.
- Gustavo Ospina, Mohamed I. Hassan, “Spent Pot Lining Characterization Framework,” JOM 69 (9):1639–1645 (2017).
- Eanna Farrell, Mohamed I. Hassan, Ramato A. Tufa, Arttu Tuomiranta, Ahmet H. Avci, Antonio Politano, Efrem Curcio and Hassan A. Arafat “Reverse electrodialysis powered greenhouse concept for water- and energy-self-sufficient agriculture,” Applied Energy, 187 (2017): 390-409.
- Mohamed I Hassan, Ayoola T Brimmo, Jaichander Swaminathan, John H Lienhard V, Hassan A Arafat “A new vacuum membrane distillation system using an aspirator: concept modeling and optimization,” Desalination and Water Treatment, 57 (28): 12915-12928 (2016)
- Sasmito, A. P., Ali, M. I., and Shamim, T., 2014, “A Factorial Study to Investigate the Purging Effect on the Performance of a PEM Fuel Cell Stack with a Dead-End Anode,” Fuel Cells, 15 (2015) 160–169.
- Poghosyan, Mohamed I. Hassan, “Techno-economic assessment of substituting natural gas based heater with thermal energy storage system in parabolic trough concentrated solar power plant,” Renewable Energy, 75 (2015) 152-164.
- H. Badr, M. I. Hassan, A. A. EL-Hamalawy, “On Demand Hydrogen Cell for Automobile Fuel Consumption Efficiency,” International Journal of Green Energy (2015) 12, 1086–1090.
- Mohamed I. Hassan, Pawan Singh, and Yousef Shatilla, “An Experimental Study on heat Pipe Performance using nanofluids,” International Journal of Green Energy, 12 (3): 225-229, 2015.
- Mohamed I. Hassan, W. Wu, Kozo Saito, “A combination effect of reburn, post-flame air and acoustic excitation on NOx reduction,” Fuel, 108 (2013): 231–237.
- Mohamed I. Ali, Edward K. Summers, Hassan A. Arafat, John H. Lienhard, “Effects of Membrane Properties on Water Production Cost in Small Scale Membrane Distillation Systems,” Desalination 306 (2012) 60–71.
- Tianxiang Li, Mohamed Hassan, Kazunori Kuwana, Kozo Saito, Paul King, “Performance of secondary aluminum melting: Thermodynamic analysis and plant-site experiments,” Energy, 31 (12): 1769-1779, 2006.
- I. Hassan, Eric Grulke, Keng Chuah, and Kozo Saito, “Propagation Characteristics of Flame Spread Over Carbon Nanotube/Fuel Mixtures,” Fire Safety Journal, 40 (5): 425-438, (2005).
- Omar, M. Hassan, K. Saito, and R. Alloo, “IR Self Referencing Thermography for detection of In-Depth Defects,” Infrared Physics and Technology 46 (4): 283-289, 2005.
- Hassan, M.I., Kuwana, K., Saito, K. and Hirano, T. “PIV Measurements of Flow Structures Created by a Pulsating Flame Spread Over 1-propanol,” Fire Safety Science, IAFSS Symposium 7(2003): 153-160.
- Hassan, M.I., Aung, K.T., and Faeth, G.M. “Measured and Predicted Properties of Laminar Premixed Methane/Air Flames at Various Pressures”, Combustion and Flame, 115:4 (1998).
- Hassan, M.I., Aung, K.T., and Faeth, G.M. “Measured and Predicted Properties of Laminar Premixed Hydrocarbon/Air Flames at Various Pressures”, AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, 14:479 (1998).
- Hassan, M.I., Aung, K.T., and Faeth, G.M. “Properties of Laminar Premixed CO/H2/Air Flames at Various Pressures”, AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power13:239 (1997).