Dr. Mohamed Alshehhi
Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Ruwais Building, Room 3004
Office:+971 2 607 5213
Dr. Mohamed Alshehhi is an Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Khalifa University. He startred at Khalifa University (Formerly known as the Petroleum Institute) as an Assistant Professor in 2010. He has more than 10 years of experience in experimental fluid dynamics and multiphase flow. He is experienced in multiphase separation technologies (absorption using micro/mini-channels and electrostatic separation) and in particle transport and deposition. He has successfully completed major sponsored projects from ADNOC and GRC. He is expert in building and upgrading experimental facility and conducting/coordinating experiments.
He is the recipient of several awards including:
- Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Global Water Award, Third place, Innovative Research & Development Award- UAE National Institutions (2017)
- Junior Faculty Teaching Award 2015 – 2016
- Best Paper Award from The Advanced Energy System Division, 8th International Conference on Energy Sustainability, ASME (2014)
- Rashid Award for Scientific Distinction (2005 & 2011)
- Recipient of Sheikh Saqr Program for Government Excellence (2010)
- Recipient of scholarship Award from the National Capital Chapter of ASHRAE (2008)
- Recipient of ASHRAE Grant-In-Aid Award Program (2007)
He is also a member of American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) and American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
Advisor to the following students & staffs
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Tariq Saeed Khan
- Nabil Kharoua
- Abdelkader Filali
- Saqib Salam
- Harish Ganapathy (Co-Advisor)
- Ying Dai (Advisor)
- Ziqiang Yang (Advisor)
- Li Chang (Advisor)
- Xu Rumin (Advisor)
- Sara Al Melhi (Co-Advisor)
- Ayesha Almheiri (Co-Advisor)
- Wang Chaofan (Co-Advisor)
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland (2009)
- MSc, Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado (2003)
- BSc, Mechanical Engineering, University of Arizona (2001)
- MEEN 240 Thermodynamics
- MEEN 335 Fluid Mechanics
- MEEN 343 Heat Transfer
- MEEN 435 Turbomachinery
- MEEN 603 Advanced Thermodynamics
- MEEN 604 Advanced Fluid Mechanics
- MEEN 615 Multiphase Flow Engineering
- Multiphase separation
- Electrohydrodynamic Filtration
- Water Treatment
Recent Research Projects
- “Black Powder ─ Detection and Transportation in Gas Transmission and Distribution Systems” (Sponsor: GRC, Principal Investigator: Mohamed Alshehhi, Co- Principal Invesigator: Lyes Khezzar, Khaled Al-Wahedi, Mahmoud Meribout, Ahmed Al-Durra, Mohammed Abou Khousa, 2012 – 2019).
- A divice is developed to on-line measure the load of black powder in the sales gases based on micro wave radiation. Recently a US patent was granted for this new concept.
- “Investigation of Rotating Packed Bed Technology for CO2 Capture Purpose” (Sponsor: CIRA, Principal Investigator: Abdallah Berrouk, Co- Principal Invesigator: Mohamed Alshehhi, Mohammad Abu Zahra, U Zeyar Aung, 2019 – 2022).
- The objective of this research is to build well-tested and accurate physical and CFD models for a Lab-scale rotating packed bed to be used for CO2 removal under Higee conditions.
- “High-efficiency Microreactor Gas Sweetening System – Overcoming Field-Based Obstacles” (Sponsor: Gas Subcommittee, Principal Investigator: Mohamed Alshehhi, Co- Principal Invesigator: Michael Ohadi, Serguei Dessiatoun, 2010 – 2015).
- The objective of this research is to develop a microchannel absorber/desorber for gas sweetening process in oil and gas industry which will result in a compact and low cost system.
- Tianxing, Z., M. Alshehhi, L. Khezzar, Y. Xia, and N. Kharoua. “Experimental Investigation of Confined Swirling Flow and Its Interaction with a Bluff Body.” Journal of Fluids Engineering 142, no. 1 (2020).
- Tianxing, Z., L. Khezzar, M. Alshehhi, Y. Xia, and Y. Hardalupas. “Experimental Investigation of Air–Water Turbulent Swirling Flow of Relevance to Phase Separation Equipment.” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 121 (2019).
- Kharoua, N., Nemouchi , L. Khezzar, and M. Alshehhi. “Combined effects of groups of vortices generated by a pulsating turbulent plane jet impinging on a semi-cylinder: Effects of the forcing frequency,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences 133 (2018): 273-283.
- Kharoua, N., L. Khezzar, and M. Alshehhi. “The Interaction of Confined Swirling Flow with a Conical Bluff Body: Numerical Simulation,” Chemical Engineering Research and Design 136 (2018): 207-218.
- Xia, Y., L. Khezzar, M. Alshehhi, and Y. Hardalupas. “Atomization of Impinging Opposed Water Jets Interacting with an Air Jet,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid 93 (2018): 11-22.
- Yang, Z., T. Khan, M. Alshehhi, and Y. Alwahedi. “Economic Assessment of Carbon Capture by Minichannel Absorbers.” AIChE Journal 64, no. 2 (2018): 620-31.
- Filali, A., L. Khezzar, M Alshehhi, and Nemouchi. “Effect of Solvent Contribution on Thermally Developing Flow of FENE-P Fluids between Parallel Plates.” Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics 11, no. 1 (2018): 1-9.
- Xia, Y., M. Alshehhi, Y. Hardalupas and L. Khezzar. “Spray Characteristics of Free Air-on-Water Impinging Jets.” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 100 (2018): 86-103.
- Kharoua, N., L. Khezzar, Z. Nemouchi, and M. Alshehhi. “LES Study of the Combined Effects of Groups of Vortices Generated by a Pulsating Turbulent Plane Jet Impinging on a Semi-Cylinder.” Applied Thermal Engineering 114 (2017): 948-60.
- Xia, Y., L. Khezzar, M. Alshehhi, and Y. Hardalupas. “Droplet Size and Velocity Characteristics of Water-Air Impinging Jet Atomizer.” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 94 (2017): 31-43.
- Kharoua, N., M. Alshehhi, L. Khezzar, and A. Filali. “CFD Prediction of Black Powder Particles’ Deposition in Vertical and Horizontal Gas Pipelines.” Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 149 (2017): 822-33.
- Filali, A., L. Khezzar, and M Alshehhi. “Numerical Simulation of FENE-P Viscoelastic Fluids Flow and Heat Transfer in Grooved Channel with Rectangular Cavities.” Korea Australia Rheology Journal 29, no. 3 (2017): 195-205.
- Kharoua, N., L. Khezzar, and M. Alshehhi. “Flow Dynamics of a Plane Jet Impinging on a Slotted Plate: Large Eddy.” Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics 10, no. 4 (2017): 1211-22.
- Al Melhi, S., A. Filali, L. Khezzar, and M. Alshehhi. “Flow and Heat Transfer of a Giesekus Fluid in Plane and 3d Ducts.” Heat Transfer – Asian Research 46, no. 8 (2017): 1380-98.
- Ganapathy, H., S. Steinmayer, A. Shooshtari, S. Dessiatoun, M. Ohadi, and M. Alshehhi. “Process Intensification Characteristics of a Microreactor Absorber for Enhanced CO2 ” Applied Energy 162 (2016): 416-27.
- Khan, T., Y. Dai, M. Alshehhi, and L. Khezzar. “Experimental Flow Characterization of Sand Particles for Pneumatic Transport in Horizontal Circular Pipes.” Powder Technology 292 (2016): 158-68.
- Kharoua, N., M. Alshehhi, and L. Khezzar. “Effects of Fluid Flow Split on Black Powder Distribution in Pipe Junctions.” Advanced Powder Technology 27, no. 1 (2016): 42-52.
- Filali, A., L. Khezzar, M Alshehhi, and N. Kharoua. “A One-D Approach for Modeling Transport and Deposition of Black Powder Particles in Gas Network.” Journal of Natural Gas Science & Engineering 28 (2016): 241-53.
- Ganapathy, H., A. Shooshtari, S. Dessiatoun, M. Ohadi, and M. Alshehhi. “Hydrodynamics and Mass Transfer Performance of a Microreactor for Enhanced Gas Separation Processes.” Chemical Engineering Journal 266 (2015): 258-70.
- Kharoua, N., M. Alshehhi, and L. Khezzar. “Prediction of Black Powder Distribution in Junctions Using the Discrete Phase Model.” Powder Technology 286 (2015): 202-11.