Dr. Md. Islam
Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Office: +971 (0)2 607 5230
Dr. Md. Islam is currently an Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Khalifa University of Science and Technology. Before his current appointment, he worked as an assistant /associate professor at the Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi. He also worked as a lecturer and assistant professor at the Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology, a premier national engineering university of Bangladesh. His main research interest is in the area of Energy and Heat transfer enhancement, Extended surfaces, Vortex generators, flow measurements and visualization, Fouling of heat exchangers in oil and gas industry, CSP technologies, Solar Desalination Technologies etc. Dr. Islam received ADNOC 2012 R&D Wisdom Book Award, Japan Govt. scholarship (Monbukagakusho) Award and Heiwa Nakajima Foundation (HNF), Tokyo, Japan Scholarship Award. He was the organizing committee member of the Second International ENERGY 2030 Conference, Abu Dhabi, and chaired sessions of GT India ASME 2019 Gas Turbine India Conference, ICOPE-2013, China, ADRAC R&D 2013 Conference, Abu Dhabi, HEFAT 2016, Spain. He is the current member of ASME, IEB and the past member of ASHRAE & JSME..
Advisor to the following students & staffs:
- Chong Zhai
- Arif Nurizki
- Liang Guangda
- Yunbu Xu
Visiting Graduate and undergraduate students:
- Ismail Farouq Fahmi Darawsheh, Petroleum Institute, Visiting Graduate research student, 2017
- Junaid Bin Masood, from GIK Institute, Pakistan, Visiting Graduate research student, 2017
- Siddhartha Vasireddy, from Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Bhubaneswar, India, undergraduate summer intern, 2015.
- Sunho Lee, from University of Waterloo, Canada, undergraduate summer research student, 2014.
- Daniel Kim, from University of Waterloo, Canada, undergraduate summer research student, 2014.
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of the Ryukyus, Japan(2007).
- MSc, Mechanical Engineering, University of the Ryukyus, Japan(2004).
- BSc, Mechanical Engineering, Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology (1997).
- MEEN 343 Heat Transfer
- MEEN 335 Fluid Mechanics
- MEEN 441 Applied Thermodynamics
- MEEN 630 – Advanced Heat Transfer
- MEEN 742 Advanced Convection Heat Transfer
- Heat transfer enhancement with Vortex generators
- Foulings on heat exchangers
- Cross-flow induced vibrations of heat exchanger tubes
- Solar desalination technologies
- Biofuel from waste products
Recent Research Projects
- “Study of external formation patterns and prevention of select process fin fan heat exchangers”(Sponsor:Abu Dhabi National Oil Company, ADNOC, approved amount: $322,000, co-Principal Investigator).
This is an ongoing project with ADNOC to study the fouling of heat exchangers problems of oil & gas processing plant in the dessert. Fouling is a complex phenomena. Here, we focus on the qualitative and quantitative analysis of the parameters governing wet and dry particulate foulings, particulate concentration, properties of particulates, fin tube geometry and how foulings affect heat exchanger performance.
- “Solar Energy Applications to ADNOC Facilities”, (Sponsor:Abu Dhabi National Oil Company, ADNOC, approved amount: $400,000, Post Doctoral researcher)
In this project, we studied the development of an advanced Stirling engine for solar energy system application in ADNOC facilities. The engine (1 kW output model) has several special features incorporated in the design and provides a cost effective, high performance, and reliable power converter for a concentrated modular solar thermal system. Performance tests are carried out with the use of propane gas initially and then the engine is integrated with a Fresnel lens solar collector as a total solar thermal system.
On Sun Test of of 1 kW Advanced Stirling Engine Generator
- “Develop test facility and Performance Test of a Solar Powered Multistage Flash Desalination Plant” (Sponsor: Petroleum Institute Research Initiation Funding Program, RIFP, Principal Investigator)
In this project, flat plate solar collectors were integrated with multistage vacuum chambers and operated a solar multi stage flash (MSF) desalination facility. An experimental parametric study has been carried out that leads to optimum process performance and cost effective desalination technology.
- “Application of the Microchannel for the heat pipe of Stirling Engine Generator”, (Sponsor: Petroleum Institute Research Initiation Funding Program, RIFP, Principal Investigator)
- Contributed co-author of Book Chapter 1, Ohadi, M.M., Choo, K., Dessiatoun, S., and Centegen, E., “Next Generation Micro Channel Heat Exchangers,” Springer Publishing Co., (2012).
- Zhai, C., Islam, M.D., Simmons, R., Barsoum, I. “Heat transfer augmentation in a circular tube with delta winglet vortex generator pairs”, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol.140, pp. 480-490, 2019.
- Zhai, C., Islam, M.D., Alam, M.M., Simmons, R., Barsoum, I. ,“Parametric study of major factors affecting heat transfer enhancement in a circular tube with vortex generator pairs”, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol.153, pp. 330-340, 2019.
- Darawsheh, I., Islam, M.D., Banat, F., “Experimental characterization of a solar powered MSF desalination process performance”, Thermal Science and Engineering Progress, Vol. 10, pp. 154-162, 2019.
- Barsoum, I., Barsoum, Z., Islam, M.D., “Thermomechanical Evaluation of the Performance and Integrity of a HDPE Stub-End Bolted Flange Connection”, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Transactions of the ASME, 141(5),051206, 2019.
- Zafar, F., Mahbub Alam, Md., Muhammad, Z., Islam, M.D., “Wakes of two inline cylinders at a low Reynolds number”, Wind and Structures, An International Journal, 29(1), pp. 55-64., 2019.
- Liang, G., M.D., Islam, Kharoua, N., Simmons, R., “Numerical study of heat transfer and flow behavior in a circular tube fitted with varying arrays of winglet vortex generators”, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 134, pp. 54-65, 2018.
- Xu, M.D. Islam, N. Kharoa, “Experimental study of thermal performance and flow behaviour with winglet vortex generators in a circular tube”, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol.135 (5), pp. 257-268, 2018.
- Yunbo Xu, M.D. Islam, N. Kharoa, “Numerical study of winglets vortex generators thermal performance in a circular tube”, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol.112, pp. 304-317, 2017.
- Hussain., M.D. Islam, I. Kubo and T. Watanabe, “Study of heat transfer through a cavity receiver for a solar powered advanced Stirling engine generator”, Applied Thermal Engineering, pp. 751-757. Vol. 104, 2016.
- Younas, F. Banat and M.D. Islam, “Seasonal Behavior and Techno Economical Analysis of a Multi-Stage Solar Still Coupled with a Point Focus Fresnel lens”, Desalination and Water Treatment, pp. 4796 – 4809, Vol 57, Issue 11, 2016.
- Banat , O. Younas and D. Islam, “Energy and exergical dissection of a natural gas sweetening plant using methyldiethanol amine (MDEA) solution” Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, , pp. 1–7 , Vol 16, 2014.
- Al-Alili, M.D. Islam and Kubo, Y. Hwang, and R. Radermacher, “Modeling of a solar Powered Absorption Cycle for Abu Dhabi”, J. Applied Energy, pp.160-167, Vol.93, May 2012.
- D. Islam, K. Oyakawa and I. Kubo, ”Investigation of heat transfer and fluid flow behavior between straight and inclined fins in tall duct” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 49, pp. 118–123, 2012.
- Saidur, M.T Sambandam, M. Hasanuzzaman, D. Devaraj, S. Rajakarunakarn and M.D. Islam, “An energy flow analysis in a paper-based industry”, Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy Journal, pp. 905-916, Vol. 14, Issue 5, 2012.
- D. Islam, A. A. Alili, I. Kubo and M. Ohadi, “Measurement of solar energy (Direct Beam Radiation) in Abu Dhabi, UAE” , Renewable Energy, Vol. 35, Issue 2, pp. 515-519, 2010.
- D. Islam, I. Kubo, M. Ohadi and A. A. Alili, “Measurement of solar energy radiation in Abu Dhabi, UAE”, Applied Energy, Vol. 86, Issue 4, pp. 511-515, April 2009.
- D. Islam, K. Oyakawa, M. Yaga and I. Kubo, “The influence of channel height on heat transfer enhancement of a co-angular type rectangular finned surface in narrow channel” International Journal of Thermal science, Vol. 48, Issue 8, pp. 1639-1648, 2009.
- D. Islam, K. Oyakawa, M. Yaga and I. Kubo, “The effects of duct height on heat transfer enhancement of a co-rotating type rectangular finned surface in duct” Experimental, Thermal and Fluid Science , Vol. 33, pp.348-356, 2009.
- M.D. Islam, M. Al-Shehi and M. Ohadi, “Emerging applications in Cryogenics- Nitrogen injection for Reservoir Enhanced Oil Recovery”, ASHRAE Transaction, Vol. 115, Part 2, 2009.