Dr. Lyes Khezzar
Associate Chair and Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department
Arzanah Building, Room 8-343
Office: +971 (0)2 607 5543
Fax: +971 (0)2 607 5200
Before gaining his PhD, Lyes Khezzar obtained a BEng in mechanical engineering (1st class honours) from Bradford University and an MSc from UMIST. He has a wide professional experience that spans both industry and academia.
He has participated in a variety of research and consultancy projects sponsored by major industrial bodies and government agencies from the UAE, UK, US, Oman and Algeria that span the fields of internal flows in equipment, combustors, turbomachines, gas and water distribution networks and fluid handling facilities.
His main research interest is in the area of application of computational fluid dynamics and laser based techniques to develop and understanding of flows of industrial relevance. These include multiphase flows in separators and fluid handling equipment, liquid plunging jets, atomization of liquid impinging jets, convective heat transfer in impinging jets using RANS and LES modelling, modelling of convective heat transfer of non-Newtonian, inelastic and viscoelastic flows in ducts and their heat transfer augmentation properties.
He is a fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and a registered Chartered Engineer
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College, London, UK (1983-1987)
- D.I.C. Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College, London, UK (1983-1987)
- M.Sc. Mechanical Engineering, UMIST, Manchester, UK (1982-1983)
- B.Eng. Mechanical Engineering, Bradford University, UK (1978–1982)
- CFD for multiphase (solid/gas, liquid/gas) flows in fluid handling equipment
- RANS/LES modelling of impinging jets and liquid plunging jets
- Numerical modelling of convective heat transfer of Non Newtonian viscoelastic flows
Articles in Refereed Journals
- L Khezzar, A Fillali and M AlShehhi, “Flow and heat transfer of FENE-P fluids in ducts of various shapes: Effect of Newtonian solvent contribution”. J. of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 207, 7-20, 2014.
- A Filali, L Khezzar, “Numerical Simulation of the Graetz Problem in Ducts with Viscoelastic FENE-P Fluids”, Computers and Fluids, 84, 1-15, 2013.
- X Qu, A Goharzadeh, L Khezzar & A Molki, “Experimental characterization of air-entrainment in a plunging jet”, Experimental Thermal Fluid Science, 44, 51-61, 2013.
- N Kharoua, L Khezzar, “Large Eddy Simulation Study of Turbulent Flow Around Smooth and Rough Domes” Proc. IMechE, Part C. Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 227, 2686-2700, 2013.
- A Filali, L Khezzar & E Mitsoulis, “Some Experiences with the Numerical Simulation of Newtonian and Bingham Fluids in Dip Coating”, Computers and Fluids, 82, 110-121, 2013.
- A Filali & L Khezzar, “A Finite Element Investigation of Elastic Flow Asymmetries
- A. Filali and L. Khezzar, “A Finite Element Investigation of Elastic Flow Asymmetries in Cross-Slot Geometries Using a Direct Steady Solver,” FDMP: Fluid Dynamics & Materials Processing, vol. 9, pp. 307-329, 2013.
- N. Kharoua, L. Khezzar and H. Saadawi, “CFD Modelling of a Horizontal Three-Phase Separator: A Population Balance Approach”, American Journal of Fluid Dynamics, 3 (4), pp.101-118, 2103.
- A Filali, L Khezzar, D Siginer, Z Nemouchi, “Graetz Problem with Non-linear Viscoelastic Fluids in Non-Circular Tubes” Int. J. Thermal Sciences, 61, 50-60, 2012.
- A Benhacine, N Kharoua, L Khezzar & Z Nemouchi, 2012 “Large Eddy Simulation of a slot jet impinging on a convex surface” Heat and Mass Transfer, vol 48, 1, 1-15, 2012.
Articles in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- N. Kharoua, M. AlShehhi, and L. Khezzar, “Numerical Simulation of Solid-Phase Split at Junctions in Particle Laden Pipe Flow,” in ASME 2014 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, 2014, pp. V007T09A017-V007T09A017.
- N. Kharoua, L. Khezzar, Z. Nemouchi, and M. AlShehhi, “Large Eddy Simulation of Forced and Unforced Plane Jets Impinging on a Convex Surface,” in ASME 2014 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, 2014, pp. V007T09A043-V007T09A043.
- A Goharzadeh, L. Khezzar and A. Molki “Vortex development behind a hemisphere mounted on a horizontal surface, 12th International Symposium on Fluid Control, Measurement and Visualization FLUCOME2013, Paper no. 0175, NARA, Japan, 2013.
- N Kharoua, L Khezzar & H Saadawi, “CFD Simulation of three-phase separator: effect of size distribution”, FEDSM2013-16322, ASME 2013 Fluids Engineering Summer Meeting, July 7-11, 2013, Reno, Nevada, USA.
- Z Li, L Khezzar & N Kharoua “Large Eddy Simulation of a forced turbulent jet impacting on a semi-cylinder”, FEDSM2013-16321, ASME 2013 Fluids Engineering Summer Meeting, July 7-11, Reno, Nevada, USA, 2103
Invited Seminars & Conference Presentations / Posters
- L Khezzar “Application of CFD in the Oil and Gas Industry: Some Lessons Learned” Plenary Lecture, Congres Algerien de Mecanique, CAM 2013, Mascara, Algerie, 2013.
- K Kiger, N Kharoua and L Khezzar “Numerical simulations of transient air entrainment by rough and smooth plunging jets”, 65th Meeting of the American Physical Society Division of Fluid Dynamics San Diego, California, November 18-20, 2012.
- N Kharoua, L Khezzar & H Saadawi “ Using CFD to Model the Performance of Retrofit Production Separators in Abu Dhabi”, paper SPE-161521-PP, ADIPEC Conference and Exhibition, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, 11-14 November 2012.
- A Filali, L Khezzar & E Mitsoulis, “Numerical modeling of the dip coating problem”, IMECE2012-85726, ASME-IMECE2012, 9-15 November, Houston, USA, 2012.
- A Filali, L Khezzar, D Siginer & Z Nemouchi “Graetz problem using FENE-P fluids without viscous dissipation”, IMECE2012-89194, ASME-IMECE2012, 9-15 November, Houston, USA, 2012.