Dr. Lyes Khezzar
Associate Chair and Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Office: +971 (0)2 607 5543
Professor Khezzar obtained a B.Eng. in Mechanical Engineering (1st class honours) from Bradford University and an M.Sc. from UMIST in Manchester and a Ph.D. from Imperial College London. He has a wide professional experience that spans both industry and academia.
He has participated in a variety of research and consultancy projects sponsored by major industrial bodies and government agencies from the UAE, UK, US, Oman and Algeria that span the fields of internal flows in equipment, combustors, turbomachines, gas and water distribution networks and fluid handling facilities.
His main research interest is in the area of application of computational fluid dynamics and laser based techniques to develop an understanding of flows of industrial relevance. These include multiphase flows in separators and fluid handling equipment, liquid plunging jets, atomization of liquid impinging jets, convective heat transfer in impinging jets using RANS and LES modelling, modelling of convective heat transfer of non-Newtonian, inelastic and viscoelastic flows in ducts and their heat transfer augmentation properties.
He is a fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, a member of ASME and a registered Chartered Engineer
Advisor to the following students & staff:
- Ayesha Almheiri (Advisor)
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College London (1987)
- DIC, Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College London (1987)
- MSc, Mechanical Engineering, UMIST (1983)
- BEng, 1st Class Honours, Mech. Eng., University of Bardford (1982)
- MEEN 200 Statics
- MEEN 240 Thermodynamics
- MEEN 335 Fluid Mechanics
- MEEN 343 Heat Transfer
- MEEN 446 Internal Combustion Engines
- MEEN 605 Continuum Mechanics
- MEEN 604 Advanced Fluid Mechanics
- MEEN 613 Advanced Heat Transfer
- MEEN 742 Advanced Convection Heat Transfer
- Swirling flows for phase separation
- Liquid jet atomization
- CFD of impinging jets
Recent Research Projects
- “Swirling flows for liquid-gas separation” (Sponsor Abu Dhabi On shore Company, CO-PI)
Part of this project consisted in obtaining flowfield information inside a pilot separation duct of a swirl prototype separator developed by FRAMES. LDV was used to obtain the velocity information and LES for numerical simulation.
- “Impinging Liquid Jet Atomization” (internally sponsored project)
Phase Doppler Anemometry and high speed photography were used to obtain the atomization characteristics of several liquid-impinging jets interactiong with an air stream.
- “Plunging Jets” (internally sponsored project, PI)
PIV and High speed photography together with Large Eddy Simulation to investigate the transient liquid jet jet plunging and air entrainement mechanisms into a liquid pool.
- “CFD of Production Separators” (Sponsored by Abu Dhabi On Shore Company, PI)
CFD was used to evaluate internals retrofitting on the performance of horizontal separators
- Z Tianxing, , M Alshehhi, L Khezzar, Y Xia and Kharoua (2020) Experimental Investigation of Confined swirling Flow and its Intercation with a Bluff Body, ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, 142, 011102.
- Z Tianxing, L Khezzar, M Alshehhi, Y Xia & Y Hardalupas (2019) Experimental investigation of air- water turbulent swirling flow of relevance to phase separation equipment, 121, 103110
- Xia, L. Khezzar, Shrinivas Bojanampati, Arman Molki (2019) Breakup of the Water Sheet Formed by Two Liquid Impinging Jets, International Journal of Chemical Engineering, Article ID 9514848, Volume 2019.
- Kharoua, N., Z. Nemouchi, Khezzar, and M.S. Alshehhi (2018) Combined Effects of Groups of Vortices Generated by a Pulsating Turbulent Plane Jet Impinging on a Semi-Cylinder: Effects of the Forcing Frequency, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 133, 273-283.
- Kharoua, N., Khezzar, and M.S. Alshehhi (2018) The interaction of confined swilring flow with a conical bluff body: Numerical simulation, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 136, 207-218.
- Xia, Y Khezzar, M. S. Alshehhi and Y. Hardalupas (2018) “Atomization of Impinging Opposed water Jets Interacting with an Air jet”, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 83, 11-22.
- Xia, Y., M. S. Alshehhi, Y. Hardalupas and Khezzar (2018) Spray Characteristics of Free Air-on-Water Impinging Jets, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 100, 86-103.
- Filali, A, L Khezzar, M Alshehhi and Z Nemouchi (2018) Effect of Solvent Contribution on Thermally Developing Flow of FENE-P Fluids Between Parallel Plates, Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics, 11, 1.
- Filali, A, L Khezzar and M Alshehhi (2017) Numerical simulation of FENE-P viscoelastic fluid flow and heat transfer in grooved channel with rectangular cavities, Korea-Australia Rheology Journal, 29(3), 195-205.
- Xia, A Khezzar, M. S. Alshehhi and Y. Hardalupas (2017) Droplet size and velocity characteristics of water-air impinging jet atomizer, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 94, 31-43.
- Kharoua, N Khezzar, Z Nemouchi and M.S. Alshehhi (2017) LES study of the combined effects of groups of vortices generated by a pulsating turbulent plane jet impinging on a semi-cylinder, Applied Thermal Engineering, 114, 948-960.
- Kharoua, N, Khezzar and M.S. Alshehhi (2017) Flow dynamics of a plane jet impinging on a slotted plate: Large eddy simulation, Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics, 10(4), 1211-1222.
- AlMelhi, S, A. Filali, L. Khezzar and M.S. Alshehhi (2017) Flow and Heat Transfer of a Giesekus Fluid in Plane and 3D Ducts, Heat Transfer – Asian Research, 46, 1380-1398.
- Kharoua, N, M.S. Alshehhi and L. Khezzar, A. Filali (2017) CFD prediction of Black Powder particles’ deposition in vertical and horizontal gas pipelines, J of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 149, 822-833.
- Kharoua, N L Khezzar & Z Nemouchi (2016) “Flow structure and heat transfer in multiple impinging jets using LES”, Heat Transfer Research, 47(4), 359-382.
- Filali, A L Khezzar, M Alshehhi, N Kharoua (2016) A one-D approach for modelling transport and deposition of BP particles in gas networks, J Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 28, 241-253.
- Kharoua, N M.S. Alshehhi and Khezzar (2016) Effects of fluid flow split on black powder distribution in pipe junctions, Advanced Power Technology, 27(1), 42-52.
- Khan, T, Y Dai, , M Al Shehhi L Khezzar (2016) Experimental flow characterization of sand particles for pneumatic transport in horizontal circular pipes, Powder Technology, 292, 158-168.
- Kharoua, N, M.S. Alshehhi and L. Khezzar (2015) “Prediction of Black Powder distribution in junctions using the Discrete Phase Model” Powder Technology, 286, 202-211.