Dr. Lianxi Zheng
Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Address: P.O.Box: 127788, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Telephone: +971 (02) 5018318
Prof. Lianxi Zheng received his BE degree on Electronic Engineering from Southeast University (China), and his PhD on Physics from the University of Hong Kong. He worked in Los Alamos National Laboratory as a Director’s Postdoctoral Fellow, CNT Technologies Inc. as a Research Scientist, Nanyang Technological University as an Assistant Professor, and now is a Full Professor in Khalifa University (UAE). He has made several significant contributions in the area of nanomaterials, among which is his invention of a chemical-vapor-deposition method to make world-record long (40mm) SWCNTs. During his career, he has gained several awards including 2 Nano 50 Award from NASA, licensed 3 US patents, published over 150 journal papers with an H-index of 36, and chaird many conference sections. He was the treasurer and a committee member of IEEE Nanotechnology Chapter (Singapore section), and has been a member of editor boards for several scientific journals. His current research activities are focused on studying carbon nanomaterials and their hybrids, targeting to the applications of flexible & smart devices, photocatalysis, energy harvest & storage, artificial muscle, e-textile, nano mechanics, and nano-electronics.
Advisor to the following students & staffs:
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Shoaib Anwer
- Fancheng Meng
- PhD, Department of Physics, the University of Hong Kong (2001)
- BSc, Electronic Engineering, Southeast University (1988)
- MEEN325 Mechanics of Solids
- MEEN225 Engineering Materials
- MECH356 Mechatronics
- MSEN621 Mechanical Property of Materials
- MEEN632 Micro/Nanotechnology and Applications
- MECH614 Advanced Manufacturing Processes
- AERO702 Advanced Composite Materials
- MEEN 705 Micromechanics of Materials
- MEEN 792 Advanced Nanomaterials and Their Mechanical Applications
- Flexible & smart materials/devices
- Energy conversion/storage materials/devices
- Carbon nanomaterials
Recent Research Projects
- “Development of smart glass with self-cleaning and infrared-shielding properties for energy-efficient buildings” [AED 2,299,348, CIRA-2018-03, Co-I (PI: Giovanni Palmisano), 2018-2021]: to develop and optimize a new generation of multifunctional smart glazing materials via a novel hybrid approach, which would allow the smart windows to efficiently switch from a transparent state to a tinted state in response to sunlight (photochromic effect) and external temperature (thermochromic effect), and to have self-cleaning/anti-fogging abilities.
- “Highly stretchable and torsionable supercapacitor for wearable electronics” [AED 1,743,814, KUIRF L2, PI, 2017-2018]: to develop fiber-shaped flexible supercapacitors that can provide stable energy storage even under severe stretching and torsional deformations. These stretchable & torsionable supercapacitors will be fabricated from newly designed shearable-carbon-nanotube films, which have unique microstructures that allow them to translate the torsional deformation into shear strain, and then accommodate such a strain through nanotube sliding, without degrading the mechanical and electrical integrity.
- “Development of Graphene-Based Energy Storage Devices” [AED 2,042,210, KUIRF L2, Co-I (PI: Kin Liao), 2016-2017]: to use graphene to design and fabricate a new generation of high performance energy storage devices including lithium batteries, super-capacitors, and flexible energy devices, aiming to provide energy devices with high energy density and high power density, and to offer deformable energy devices for applications in wearable and portable electronic products.
- “Super-strong and multifunctional carbon-nanotube-fiber reinforced composites for aerospace applications” (AED 1,717,640, KUIRF L2, PI, 2014-2016): to study/develop a new class of composite that offers an outstanding structural performance combined with continuous structural health monitoring and on-line damage detection. This new composite material is based on high-performance carbon-nanotube (CNT) fibers, which are stronger and lighter than the carbon fibers that are currently used in aerospace applications.
- “Develop super-strong and multifunctional carbon-nanotube-fiber reinforced composites” [KU-KAIST seed Fund, PI on Khalifa side (PI in KAIST: Lee, Haeng-Ki), 2015-2016]: This project brings together the world-leading and complementary expertise available from the UAE and Korea to develop multifunctional CNT fiber-reinforced composites which exhibit mechanical properties significantly improved as compared to existing fiber-reinforced polymers (FRPs) to therefore facilitate stress/strain and damage detection.
- “Nature-inspired Graphene-wrapped 3D MoS2 ultrathin microflower architecture as a high-performance anode material for sodium-ion batteries”, Shoaib Anwer, Yongxin Huang, Baosong Li, Bharath Govindan, Kin Liao, Wesley J. Cantwell, Feng Wu, Renjie Chen, Lianxi Zheng, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 11(25), 22323-22331, 2019.
- “Synthesis of joint‐welded carbon nanotube foam @ Ni(OH)2nanosheet‐based core–shell 3D architecture for freestanding flexible electrode for supercapacitor applications”, Shoaib Anwer, Ahmed Bin Ari, G Bharath, Pei Cao, Shashikant P Patole, Shaohong Luo, Hafiz Tariq Masood, Wesley J Cantwell, Kin Liao, Qingwen Li, Lianxi Zheng, Advanced Materials Interfaces, 1900670, 2019.
- “Synthesis of edge-site selectively deposited Au nanocrystals on TiO2 nanosheets: An efficient heterogeneous catalyst with enhanced visible-light photoactivity”, Shoaib Anwer, G. Bharath, Shahid Iqbal, Hongmei Qian, Tariq Masood, Kin Liao, Wesley J. Cantwell, Jiatao Zhang, Lianxi Zheng, Electrochimica Acta, 283, 1095-1104, 2018.
- “Single-step selective laser writing of flexible photodetectors for wearable optoelectronics”, Jianning An, Trong-Son Dinh Le, Chin Huat Joel Lim, Van Thai Tran, Zhaoyao Zhan, Yi Gao, Lianxi Zheng, Gengzhi Sun, Yong-Jin Kim, Advanced Science, 1800496, 2018.
- “Flexible fiber-shaped supercapacitors: design, fabrication, and multi-functionalities”, Fancheng Meng, Qingwen Li, Lianxi Zheng, Energy Storage Materials, 8, 85-109, 2017.
- “A highly torsionable fiber-shaped supercapacitor”, Fancheng Meng, Lianxi Zheng, Shaohong Luo, Da Li, Guanghui Wang, Hehua Jin, Qingwen Li, Yani Zhang, Kin Liao, Wesley J. Cantwell, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 5(9), 4397-4403, 2017.
- “An electromechanical behavior of reduced graphene oxide fiber”, Fancheng Meng, Miao Wang, Weibang Lu, Qingwen Li, Tsu-Wei Chou, Lianxi Zheng, Carbon 105, 244-247, 2016.
- “Oxygen evolution assisted fabrication of highly loaded carbon nanotube/MnO2 hybrid films for high-performance flexible pseudosupercapacitors”, Hongyuan Chen, Sha Zeng, Minhai Chen, Yongyi Zhang, Lianxi Zheng, Qingwen Li, Small 12, 2035-2045, 2016.
- “On the study of electrochromism in multiwalled carbon nanotube-polydiacetylene composites”, R. V. Hansen, M. Huang, Z. Y. Zhan, G. Z. Sun, J. L. Yang, L. X. Zheng, Carbon, 90, 222-230, 2015.
- “Trench structure assisted alignment in ultralong and dense carbon nanotube arrays”, J. N. An, Z. Y. Zhan, H. K. S. V. Mohan, G. Z. Sun, R. V. Hansen, L. X. Zheng, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 3(10), 2215-2222, 2015.
- “Actuation triggered exfoliation of grapheme oxide at low temperature for electrochemical capacitor applications”, Gengzhi Sun, Lianxi Zheng, Zhaoyao Zhan, Jinyuan Zhou, Xianbin Liu, Lin Li, Carbon, 68, 748-754, 2014.
- “Three-dimensional plasmonic photoanodes based on Au-embedded TiO2 structures for enhanced visible-light water splitting”, Zhaoyao Zhan, Jianing An, Huanchao Zhang, Reinack Varghese Hansen, Lianxi Zheng, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 6(2), 1139-1144, 2014.
- “Preparation of weavable, all-carbon fibers for non-volatile memory devices”, Gengzhi Sun, Juqing Liu, Lianxi Zheng, Wei Huang, Hua Zhang, Angewandte Chemie-International Edition, 52(50), 13351-13355, 2013.
- “Load-transfer efficiency and mechanical reliability of carbon nanotube fibers under low strain rates”, Gengzhi Sun, Lianxi Zheng, Jinyuan Zhou, Yani Zhang, Zhaoyao Zhan, John H. L. Pang, International Journal of Plasticity, 40, 56-64, 2013.
- “Bio-inspired nacre-like composite films based on graphene with superior mechanical, electrical, and biocompatible properties”, Yuan-Qing Li, Ting Yu, Tian-Yi Yang, Lian-Xi Zheng, Kin Liao, Advanced Materials, 24(25), 3426-3431, 2012.
- “Carbene-functionalized single-walled carbon nanotubes and their electrical properties”, Chao Liu, Qing Zhang, Francesco Stellacci, Nicola Marzari, Lianxi Zheng, Zhaoyao Zhan, Small, 7, 1257-1263, 2011.
- “Tuning array morphology for high-strength nanotube fibers”, Lianxi zheng, Gengzhi Sun, Zhaoyao Zhan, Small, 6, 132-137, 2010.
- “Ultrastrong, stiff, and lightweight carbon-nanotube fibers”, Xiefei Zhang, Qingwen Li, Terry G. Holesinger, Paul N. Arendt, Jianyu Huang, P. Douglas Kirven, Timothy G. Clapp, Raymond F. DePaula, Xiazhou Liao, Yonghao Zhao, Lianxi Zheng, Dean E. Peterson, and Yuntian Zhu, Advanced Materials, 19, 4198, 2007.
- “Carbon-nanotube cotton for large-scale fibres”, Lianxi Zheng, Xiefei Zhang, Qingwen Li, B.C. Satishkumar, Yuan Li, Yonghao Zhao, Quanxi Jia, Stephen K. Doorn, Dean E. Peterson and Yuntian T. Zhu, Advanced Materials, 19, 2567, 2007.
- “Ultra-long single-wall carbon nanotubes”, Lianxi Zheng, Michael J. O’Connell, Stephen K. Doorn, Mark A. Hoffbauer, Bobbi J. Roop, Quanxi Jia, Robert C. Dye, Dean E. Peterson, Shaoming Huang, Jie Liu, and Yuntian T. Zhu, Nature Materials, 3, 673, 2004.