Dr. Lianxi Zheng
Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Address: P.O.Box: 127788, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Telephone: +971 (02) 5018318
Fax: +971 (02) 447 2442
Dr. Lianxi Zheng received his BE degree in Electronic Engineering from Southeast University in China, and his Ph.D. in Physics from The University of Hong Kong. He has worked in Los Alamos National Laboratory as a director’s postdoctoral fellow, CNT Technologies Inc. as a research scientist, and Nanyang Technological University as an assistant professor. He has made many significant contributions in the area of carbon nanotube, among which is his invention of a chemical-vapor-deposition method to make word-record long (40mm) CNTs. This technology was ranked as one of the top 50 technologies that have significantly impacted, or are expected to impact, the state of the art in nanotechnology, by Nanotech Briefs (NASA’s technical magazine) in 2005. During his career, he has gained several awards, including 2 Nano 50 Award from NASA, applied 3 US patents on CNT preparation, and published over 80 journal papers. He has been the treasurer and committee member of IEEE Nanotechnology Chapter (Singapore section), and a member of the editor board of several scientific journals.
- Ph.D. in Physics, University of Hong Kong, China (2001)
- B.E. in Electronic Engineering, Southeast University, Nanjing, China (1998)
- Engineering Materials
- Advanced Manufacturing
I am working in the interdisciplinary field of nano-science and nano-technology, with the emphasis on the advanced nano-materials, targeting to their structural and functional applications. Currently, the materials are mainly carbon nanomaterials (including carbon nanotube and graphene) and their composites & hybrids. The potential applications include artificial muscle, e-textile, nano mechanics, nano-electronics, energy harvest devices, and nanostructured bio-sensors.
• “The applications of carbon nanotubes and graphene in advanced rechargeable lithium batteries”, Wenyu Yuan, Yani Zhang, Laifei Cheng, Heng Wu, Lianxi Zheng, Donglin Zhao, JOURNAL OF MATERIALS CHEMISTRY A, 2016. DOI: 10.1039/C6TA01546H.
• “An electromechanical behavior of reduced graphene oxide fiber”, Fancheng Meng, Miao Wang, Weibang Lu, Qingwen Li, Tsu-Wei Chou, Lianxi Zheng, CARBON 105, 244-247, 2016.
• “Oxygen evolution assisted fabrication of highly loaded carbon nanotube/MnO2 hybrid films for high-performance flexible pseudosupercapacitors”, Hongyuan Chen, Sha Zeng, Minhai Chen, Yongyi Zhang, Lianxi Zheng, Qingwen Li, SMALL, 2016. DOI: 10.1002/smll.201503623.
• “On the study of electrochromism in multiwalled carbon nanotube-polydiacetylene composites”, R. V. Hansen, M. Huang, Z. Y. Zhan, G. Z. Sun, J. L. Yang, L. X. Zheng, CARBON, 90, 222-230, 2015.
• “Trench structure assisted alignment in ultralong and dense carbon nanotube arrays”, J. N. An, Z. Y. Zhan, H. K. S. V. Mohan, G. Z. Sun, R. V. Hansen, L. X. Zheng, JOURNAL OF MATERIALS CHEMISTRY C, 3(10), 2215-2222, 2015.
• “Actuation triggered exfoliation of grapheme oxide at low temperature for electrochemical capacitor applications”, Gengzhi Sun, Lianxi Zheng, Zhaoyao Zhan, Jinyuan Zhou, Xianbin Liu, Lin Li, CARBON, 68, 748-754, 2014.
• “Three-dimensional plasmonic photoanodes based on Au-embedded TiO2 structures for enhanced visible-light water splitting”, Zhaoyao Zhan, Jianing An, Huanchao Zhang, Reinack Varghese Hansen, Lianxi Zheng, ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACE, 6(2), 1139-1144, 2014.
• “Preparation of weavable, all-carbon fibers for non-volatile memory devices”, Gengzhi Sun, Juqing Liu, Lianxi Zheng, Wei Huang, Hua Zhang, ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION, 52, 13351-13355, 2013.
• “Load-transfer efficiency and mechanical reliability of carbon nanotube fibers under low strain rates”, Gengzhi Sun, Lianxi Zheng, Jinyuan Zhou, Yani Zhang, Zhaoyao Zhan, John H. L. Pang, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PLASTICITY, 40, 56-64, 2013.
• “Failure mechanisms of carbon nanotube fibers under different strain rates”, Yani Zhang, Lianxi Zheng, Gengzhi Sun, Zhaoyao Zhan, Kin Liao, CARBON, 50(8), 2887-2893, 2012.
• “Bio-Inspired Nacre-like Composite Films Based on Graphene with Superior Mechanical, Electrical, and Biocompatible Properties”, Yuan-Qing Li, Ting Yu, Tian-Yi Yang, Lian-Xi Zheng, Kin Liao, ADVANCED MATERIALS, 24(25), 3426-3431, 2012.
• “Self-powered, visible-light photodetector based on thermally reduced graphene oxide-ZnO (rGO-ZnO) hybrid nanostructure”, Zhaoyao Zhan, Lianxi Zheng, Yongzheng Pan, Gengzhi Sun, and Lin Li, JOURNAL OF MATERIALS CHEMISTRY, 22(6), 2589-2595, 2012.
• “Carbene-Functionalized Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes and Their Electrical Properties”, Chao Liu, Qing Zhang, Francesco Stellacci, Nicola Marzari, Lianxi Zheng, Zhaoyao Zhan, SMALL, 7, 1257-1263, 2011.
• “Self-Built Strain in Large-Diameter Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes”, Pingqi Gao, Lianxi Zheng, Qing Zhang, Shaoning Yuan, Yumeng You, Zexiang Shen, Deyan He, ACS NANO, 4, 992-998, 2010.
• “Tuning Array Morphology for High-Strength Nanotube Fibers”, Lianxi zheng, Gengzhi Sun, Zhaoyao Zhan, SMALL, 6, 132-137, 2010.
• “Towards Chirality-pure Carbon Nanotubes”, Yani Zhang and Lianxi Zheng, NANOSCALE, 2, 1919-1929, 2010.
• “Ultrastrong, Stiff, and Lightweight Carbon-Nanotube Fibers”, Xiefei Zhang, Qingwen Li, Terry G. Holesinger, Paul N. Arendt, Jianyu Huang, P. Douglas Kirven, Timothy G. Clapp, Raymond F. DePaula, Xiazhou Liao, Yonghao Zhao, Lianxi Zheng, Dean E. Peterson, and Yuntian Zhu, ADVANCED MATERIALS, 19, 4198, 2007.
• “Carbon-Nanotube Cotton for Large-scale Fibres”, Lianxi Zheng, Xiefei Zhang, Qingwen Li, B.C. Satishkumar, Yuan Li, Yonghao Zhao, Quanxi Jia, Stephen K. Doorn, Dean E. Peterson and Yuntian T. Zhu, ADVANCED MATERIALS, 19, 2567, 2007.
• “Raman Spectral Imaging of a Carbon Nanotube Intramolecular Junction”, Stephen K. Doorn, Michael J. O’Connell, Lianxi Zheng, Yuntian T. Zhu, Shaoming Huang, Jie Liu, PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS, 94, 016802, 2005.
• “Ultra-long single-wall carbon nanotubes”, Lianxi Zheng, Michael J. O’Connell, Stephen K. Doorn, Mark A. Hoffbauer, Bobbi J. Roop, Quanxi Jia, Robert C. Dye, Dean E. Peterson, Shaoming Huang, Jie Liu, and Yuntian T. Zhu, NATURE MATERIALS, 3, 673, 2004.