Dr. Kyriaki Polychronopoulou
- Ph.D., Chemistry – Heterogeneous Catalysis, University of Cyprus (CYP), 2005
- M.Sc., Mechanical Engineering – Mechanical Properties of Nanostructured Materials, University of Cyprus (CYP), 2002
- B.Sc., Chemistry, University of Cyprus (CYP), 2000
- 2010-2012: Postdoctoral Fellow, Northwestern University, IL, USA.
- 2009: Postdoctoral Fellow Chemistry Dept.,University of Cyprus & Coordinator of a National Project and a Cyprus-France Bilateral Project, both Funded by the Cyprus Research Promotion Foundation (CyRPF).
- 2008: Visiting Lecturer, Chemistry Dept., University of Cyprus & British Council Exchange Researcher at the National Physical Laboratory (NPL, London, U.K).
- 2007: Fulbright Scholar for Advanced Research in US, Mech. Sci. & Eng. Dept. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA.
- 2006: Visiting Lecturer, Mech. Eng. Dept.,University of Cyprus.
- 2005-2007: Postdoctoral Fellow, Mech. Eng. Dept., University of Cyprus
- Materials Characterization Techniques (Bulk & Surface Analysis)
- Materials Structure-Properties Inter-relationship
- Heterogeneous Catalysis for Energy and Environmental Applications/Renewable Energy
- Thermodynamics/ Heat Transfer
- Heterogeneous Catalytic Chemistry
- Technologies for Hydrogen Production from Catalytic Reforming of Biomass-derived Hydrocarbons
- Investigation of Relationships between Physico-chemical and Catalytic Properties of Solid Materials/Surfaces
- Porous Materials for Selective Gas Mixtures Separation
- Design of Solid Adsorbents for Environmental De-Pollution (e.g.clean-up of gas streams from H2S)
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- K. Polychronopoulou*, Kl. Petallidou, J.L.G. Fierro, A.M. Efstathiou*, “The influence of the preparation method on the structural, acidic, redox and catalytic properties towards WGS reaction of Pt/CexLa1-xO2 catalysts” in preparation (2012).
- M. Wasim Akram, K. Polychronopoulou, Andreas A. Polycarpou, Lubricity of environmentally friendly HFO-1234yf refrigerant, Tribology Letters, submitted March 2012,accepted.
- K. Polychronopoulou, C. Malliakas, J. He, M.G. Kanatzidis, Selective Surfaces: Quaternary Co(Ni)MoS-based Chalcogels with Divalent (Pb2+, Cd2+, Pd2+) and Trivalent Metals (Cr3+, Bi3+) for Gas Separation,Chemistry of Materials, accepted (2012)DOI: 10.1021/cm301444p.
- K. Polychronopoulou, C. Giannakopoulos, A.M. Efstathiou, “Tailoring MgO-based supported catalysts for purification of gas streams from phenol”, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 111 (2012) 360-375.
- Y.S. Lambrou, K. Polychronopoulou, K.C. Petallidou, A.M. Efstathiou, “Oxygen storage cpacity studies over Pd/Al2O3-CeO2 catalysts and their redispersion using Cl-containing gas mixtures”, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 111 (2012)349-359.
- K. Roushia, K. Polychronopoulou*,C.C. Doumanidis, “Design, manufacturing and Testing of an Ultrasonic Stress Anodization Cell”, Journal of Surface Engineered Materials and Advanced Technology, 2(1) (2012) 1-10 DOI: 10.4236/jsemat.2012.21001.
- B. Luster, D. Stone, M. to Baben, J.M. Schneider, K. Polychronopoulou, C. Rebholz, P. Kohli, S.M. Aouadi, “Textured Coatings with Ag3VO4 Solid Lubricant Reservoirs” Surface & Coatings Technology 206 (7) (2011) 1932-1935.
- K. Polychronopoulou*, J.K. Lee, C. Tsotsos, N.G. Demas R. Mechewski, C. Rebholz, A.A. Polycarpou, “Nanomechanical properties of TiCN thin films”, Tribology Letters 44(2) (2011) 213-221.
- S. Betelu, K. Polychronopoulou, C. Rebholz, I. Ignatiadis, “Towards Novel and Stable CeO2-based Screen-Printed Electrodes for pH monitoring of natural waters” Talanta, 87 (2011) 126-135.
- E.E. Nunez, S.M. Yeo, K. Polychronopoulou, A.A. Polycarpou, “Tribological study of high bearing blended polymer-based coatings for air-conditioning and refrigeration compressors”, Surface & Coatings Technology 205 (2011) 2994.
- E. E. Nunez, K. Polychronopoulou, A.A. Polycarpou, “Lubricity effect of carbon dioxide used as an environmentally friendly refrigerant in air-conditioning and refrigeration compressors “, Wear 270 (2010) 46.
- S.M. Aouadi, D. Stone, D.P. Singh, A. Abu-Nada, K. Polychronopoulou, F. Nahif, C. Rebholz, C. Muratore, A.A. Voevodin, “Adaptive VN/Ag Nanocomposite coatings in the 25 to 1000oC temperature range”, Acta Materialia, 58(16) (2010) 5326.
- D. P. Singh, K. Polychronopoulou, C. Rebholz, S. M. Aouadi,” Room temperature synthesis and high temperature frictional study of silver vanadate nanorods”, Nanotechnology 21 (32) (2010) article no. 325601.
- P.G. Savva, K. Polychronopoulou, R.S. Ryzkov, A.M. Efstathiou, “Low temperature catalytic decomposition of ethylene into H2 and secondary carbon nanotubes over Ni/CNTs”, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 93 (3-4) (2010) 314.
- K. Polychronopoulou*, N. Demas, P.N. Gibson, C. Rebholz, A.A. Polycarpou, “Effect of Cu content on the structure, and performance of substoichiometric Cr-N coatings” Tribology Letters 38(1) (2010) 57-68.
- E.E.Nunez, N.G. Demas, K. Polychronopoulou, A.A. Polycarpou, “Comparative scuffing performance and chemical analysis of metallic interfaces for air-conditioning compressors in the presence of environmentally friendly CO2 refrigerant”, Wear 268 (2010) 668-676.
- C. Tsotsos, K. Polychronopoulou, N.G. Demas, M.A. Baker, C. Rebholz, A.A. Polycarpou, “Low temperature reactive magnetron sputtering of nanocrystalline Ti(N,C) and amorphous DLC coatings”, Diamond and Related Materials, 19(7-9) (2010) 960.
- Y. Ioannou, M. M. Fyrillas, K. Polychronopoulou*, C. Doumanidis, “Analytical model for geometrical characteristics control of laser sintered surfaces”, accepted for publication in International Journal of Nanomanufacturing, Vol. 6 (2010) 300.
- S. Gravani, K. Polychronopoulou, Q. Cui, M.A. Baker, P.N. Gibson, S.J. Hinder, Z. Gu, C.C. Doumanidis, C. Rebholz, “Growth and Characterization of ceria thin films and ceria-doped gamma Al2O3 nanowires using sol-gel techniques”,Nanotechnology 21 (2010) 46.
- C.Tsotsos, M. A. Baker, K. Polychronopoulou, P.N. Gibson, K. Giannakopoulos, A. Polycarpou, K. Böbel, C. Rebholz, “Structure and mechanical properties of low temperature magnetron sputtered nc-Ti(N,C)/a-C:H coatings”, Thin Solid Films519 (1) (2010) 24.
- D. Dascalescu, K. Polychronopoulou*, A.A. Polycarpou, “The significance of tribochemistry on the performance of PTFE-based coatings in CO2 refrigerant environment”, Surface & Coatings Technology 204 (2009) 319.
- E. E. Nunez, N. G. Demas, K. Polychronopoulou, A. A. Polycarpou, “Tribological study comparing PAG and POE lubricants used in air conditioning compressors under the presence of CO2”, reprinted in Tribology & Lubrication Technology (TLT) asEditor’s Choice Paper , April 2009 edition.
- K. Polychronopoulou, A.M. Efstathiou, “Effects of sol-gel synthesis on 5Fe-15Mn-40Zn-40Ti-O mixed oxide structure and its H2S removal efficiency from industrial gas streams”, Environmental Science & Technology 43 (2009) 4367.
- K. Polychronopoulou*, M. Baker, C. Rebholz, J. Neidhardt, M.O. Sullivan, A.E. Reiter, K. Kanakis, A. Leyland, A. Matthews, C. Mitterer, “The nanostructure, wear and corrosion performance of arc evaporated Cr-B-N nanocomposite coatings”, Surface & Coatings Technology 204 (2009) 246.
- S. Antoniou, K. Kolokassidou, K. Polychronopoulou, I. Pashalidis, “The effect of humic acid on the solid phase stability of UO2CO3”, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry 279(3) (2009) 863-866.
- K. Polychronopoulou*, N.G. Demas, C. Rebholz, A. A. Polycarpou, “Tribological behavior of Cr-N and Al-Cr-N coatings deposited using electron-beam evaporation under laboratory ball-on-disk and realistic drill test experiments”, Tribology Letters 32 (2008) 117.
- K. Polychronopoulou*, J. Neidhardt, C. Rebholz, M.A. Baker, M. O’Sullivan, A.E. Reiter, A.E. Gunnaes, K. Giannakopoulos, C. Mitterer, “Synthesis and characterization of Cr-B-N coatings deposited by reactive arc evaporation”, Journal of Materials Research 23 (11) (2008) 3048.
- E. E. Nunez, N. G. Demas, K. Polychronopoulou, A. A. Polycarpou, “Tribological study comparing PAG and POE lubricants used in air- conditioning compressors under the presence of CO2”, Tribology Transactions 51 (6) (2008) 790.
- K. Polychronopoulou*, C. Rebholz, M.A. Baker, L. Theodorou, N. Demas, S.J. Hinder, A.A. Polycarpou, C.C. Doumanidis, K. Böbel, “Nanostructure, mechanical and tribological properties of reactive magnetron sputtered TiCx coatings”, Diamond and Related Materials 17 (2008) 2054.
- K. Polychronopoulou, A.M. Efstathiou, “Spillover of labile OH, H, and O species in the H2 production by steam reforming of phenol over supported-Rh catalysts”, Catalysis Today 116 (2006) 341.
- K. Polychronopoulou, C. N. Costa, A. M. Efstathiou, “The role of oxygen and hydroxyl support species on the mechanism of H2 production in the steam reforming of phenol over metal oxide-supported -Rh and -Fe catalysts”, Catalysis Today 112 (1-4) (2006) 89-93.
- K. Polychronopoulou, A. Bakandritsos, V. Tzitzios, J.L.G. Fierro, A.M. Efstathiou, “Absorption-enhanced reforming of phenol by steam over supported Fe catalysts”, Journal of Catalysis 241 (2006) 132.
- K. Polychronopoulou, F. Cabello Galisteo, M. López Granados, J.L.G. Fierro, T. Bakas, A.M. Efstathiou, “Novel Fe-Mn-Zn-Ti-O mixed-metal oxides for the low-temperature removal of H2S from gas streams in the presence of H2, CO2 and H2O”, Journal of Catalysis 236 (2) (2005) 205.
- K. Polychronopoulou, I. Zacharaki, A.M. Efstathiou, “New aspects for the hydrogen production by steam reforming of phenol over supported-Rh catalysts”, Chemical Engineering Transactions 8 (2005) 61.
- K. Polychronopoulou, J.L.G Fierro, A.M. Efstathiou, “Novel Zn-Ti-based mixed metal oxides for low-temperature adsorption of H2S from industrial gas streams”, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 57(2) (2005) 125.
- K. Polychronopoulou, J.L.G. Fierro, A.M. Efstathiou, “The phenol steam reforming reaction over MgO-based supported Rh Catalysts”, Journal of Catalysis 228 (2) (2004) 417.
- K. Polychronopoulou, C. N. Costa, A. M. Efstathiou, “The steam reforming of phenol reaction over supported-Rh catalysts”,Applied Catalysis A: General 272(1-2) (2004) 37.
- K. Polychronopoulou, Z. Theodorou, C. N. Costa, A. M. Efstathiou, “Hydrogen production by steam reforming of phenol over novel supported-Rh and Fe catalysts”,Chemical Engineering Transactions 4 (2004) 118.
- C.N Costa, P.Savva, C. Andronikou, P. S. Lambrou, K. Polychronopoulou, V.C. Belessi, V.N. Stathopoulos, P.J Pomonis, A.M. Efstathiou, “An investigation of the NO/H2/O2 (lean de-NOX) reaction on a highly active and selective Pt/La0.7Sr0.2Ce0.1FeO3 catalyst at low temperatures”, Journal of Catalysis 209 (2) (2002) 456.
Invited Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- K. Polychronopoulou, A.M. Efstathiou, Appl.Catal.B “Catalytic Steam reforming towards the conversion of hydrocarbons to H2” in preparation (2012).
- K. Polychronopoulou, A.M. Efstathiou, “Materials for H2-Selective Catalytic Reduction of NOx in Stationary and Mobile Sources”, INVITED REVIEW PAPER, Recent Patents on Materials Science, Vol. 5 (2) (2012) 87-104.
- K. Polychronopoulou, C. Kalamaras, A.M. Efstathiou,”Ceria-based Materials for Hydrogen Production via Hydrocarbon Steam Reforming and Water-Gas Shift (WGS) Reaction”. INVITED REVIEW PAPER, Recent Patents on Materials Science 4(2) (2011) 122-145.
Work associated with the Cow Corning Company Midland MI, USA in the era of porous composite materials is in preparation for patents submission
- Member of the Editorial Board ‘ISRN Nanomaterials’
- Reviewer for the National Science Foundation (NSF, USA)
JOURNAL’S REVIEWING ACTIVITY:
RSC Advances; Separation Science and Technology Process Safety and Environmental Protection; Tribology Letters; Journal of Physical Chemistry C, American Chemical Society (ACS); Applied Surface Science, Elsevier; Journal of Hazardous Materials, Elsevier; Applied Catalysis B: Environmental; Diamond and Related Materials (Journal), Elsevier; Journal of Nanoparticle Research, Springerlink; Surface and Coating Technology, Elsevier; Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, Elsevier; Tribology Transactions (STLE Journal); Journal of Sol-Gel Science & Technology (Springerlink); ASME Journal of Tribology