Dr. Imad Barsoum
Associate Professor (SAN Campus), Department of Mechanical Engineering
Arzanah Building, Room 8-345
Office: +971 (0)2 607 5273
Dr. Barsoum is currently an Associate Professor at the Mechanical Engineering Department. Prior to joining the Petroleum Institute he worked as a research scientist in the European automotive industry, from which he has extensive experience. His research interest is in the field of mechanics of materials, finite element analysis, and failure modeling applied to the design and analysis of machine elements, pressure vessels and piping components, and plastic pipes.
Dr. Barsoum has published numerous research articles in renowned refereed journals and conference proceedings. His work is highly cited and recognized internationally. He also serves as a reviewer for a number of reputable international journals. Dr. Barsoum is an affiliated research faculty at Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) in Stockholm, Sweden.
Dr. Barsoum has received several educational awards for his outstanding teaching performance, including Petroleum Institute Teaching Award for Junior Faculty (2012-2013). Department of Mechanical Engineering Education Excellence Award (2013), and Imtinam Best Teacher Award (2017). His senior design team of undergraduate students were the receipt of the nation-wide Think Science award 2018.
- Ph.D.Solid Mechanics, Royal Institute of Technology – KTH, Stockholm, Sweden (2002–2008)
- M.S.Mechanical Metallurgy, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA (2000–2002)
- B.S.Materials Engineering, Royal Institute of Technology – KTH, Stockholm, Sweden (1997–2000)
- Finite Element Analysis
- Solid Mechanics
- Design of Machine Element
- Fracture Mechanics and Fatigue
- Hydrodynamics instabilities.
- Magnetohydrodynamics instabilities.
- Thin film flow and interfacial flows.
- Swirling flows and vortex instabilities.
- Fluid-Structure interactions.
Articles in Refereed Journals
- I. Barsoum and K.F. Al Ali, “A procedure to determine the tangential true stress-strain behavior of pipes”, Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 128, 2015, pp. 59-68.
- I Barsoum, AM Khalaf, “Evaluation of a pipe–flange connection method based on cold work”, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 137, 2015, pp.1-8.
- I. Barsoum, F. Khan and Z. Barsoum, “Analysis of the Torsional Strength of Hardened Splined Shafts”, Materials and Design, Vol. 54, 2014, pp. 130–136.
- I. Barsoum, F. Khan, A. Molki and A. Seibi, “Modeling of Ductile Crack Propagation in Expanded Thin-Walled Tubes of Aluminum 6063-T5”, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 80, 2014, pp. 160-168.
- J. Faleskog and I. Barsoum, “Tension-Torsion Fracture Experiments—Part I: Experiments and a Procedure to Evaluate the Equivalent Plastic Strain”, International Journal of Solids and Structures Vol. 50, Issue 25, 2013, pp. 4241-4257.
- I. Barsoum, J. Faleskog and S. Pingle, “The effect of stress state on ductility in the moderate stress triaxiality regime of medium and high strength steels”. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Volume 65, 2012, Pages 203–212.
- Z. Barsoum, M. Khurshid and I. Barsoum, “Fatigue strength evaluation of friction stir welded aluminium joints using the nominal and notch stress concepts”, Materials and Design, Volume 41, 2012, Pages 231–238.
- I. Barsoum and J. Faleskog, “Micromechanical Analysis on the Influence of the Lode Parameter on Void Growth and Coalescence”. International Journal of Solids and Structures, Volume 48, 2011, Pages 925-938.
- I. Barsoum and J. Faleskog, “Rupture Mechanisms in Combined Tension and Shear – Micromechanics”, International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 44, 2007, Pages 5481-5498.
- I. Barsoum and J. Faleskog, “Rupture Mechanisms in Combined Tension and Shear – Experiments”, International Journal of Solids and Structures, Volume 44, 2007, Pages 1768-1786.
Articles in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- I. Barsoum and K.F. Al Ali, “Development of a Method to Determine the Transverse Stress-Strain Behaviour of Pipes”, 14th International Conference on Pressure Vessel Technology (ICPVT14), Shanghai, China, 23–26 September, 2015.
- I. Barsoum and A.M. Khalaf, “Evaluation of a Pipe-Flange Connection Replacing Fusion Welding”, 14th International Conference on Pressure Vessel Technology (ICPVT14), Shanghai, China, 23–26 September, 2015.
- I. Barsoum, F. Khan, A. Molki and A. Seibi, “Ductile Failure Modeling of Expanded Aluminium Tubes With Embedded Circular Holes”, ASME Pressure Vessels & Piping Conference, Paris, France, July 14-18, 2013.
- I. Barsoum, J. Faleskog and S. Pingle, “The Influence of the Lode Parameter on Ductile Failure Strain in Steel, Procedia Engineering, Volume 10, 2011, Pages 69-75.
- A.C. Seibi, I. Barsoum and A. Molki, “Experimental and Numerical Study of Expanded Aluminum and Steel Tubes”, Procedia Engineering, Volume 10, 2011, Pages 3057-3063.
- Z. Barsoum and I. Barsoum, “Residual stress effects on fatigue life of welded structures using LEFM”, IIW Doc. No. XIII-2266-09, International Institute of Welding, 62nd Annual Assembly, Singapore, 2009.
- I. Barsoum and J. Faleskog, “Inverkan av Lode-parametern vid Duktilt Brott” (in Swedish), Swedish Mechanics Days, Luleå, Sweden, June 13-15, 2007.
Invited Seminars & Conference Presentations
- Title: “Application of Finite Element Analysis in the Plastics Pipe Industry”, GPPA Spring Conference, Kuwait City, June, 2015.
- Title: “Simulations driven strength optimization of induction hardened splined shafts”, Scania R&D Division, Materials Technology Meeting, Södertälje, Sweden, 2010
- Title: “Modeling of ductile rupture mechanisms in high strength steels”, Swedish Society for Metallurgy and Materials (SFMT), KTH – Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, 2007