Dr. Hamad Karki
Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Ruwais Building, Room 3010 B
Office: +971 2 607 5330
Fax: +971 2 607 5200
Dr. Hamad Karki is currently the Director in the college of Arts and Sciences and an Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Khalifa University in Abu Dhabi. During his profession at the PI, Dr. Karki served as Director of the Internship Office.
His main research interest is in the area of system dynamics and control with the focus on robotics and mechatronics.
- Ph.D. Engineering, Tokyo University of Technology, JP (2005 – 2008)
- M.S. System Electronics Engineering, Tokyo University of Technology, JP (2003 – 2005)
- B.S. Mechatronics Engineering, Tokyo University of Technology, JP (1999 – 2003)
- Design and control robotic systems
Articles in Refereed Journals
- N. Vlajic, X. Liu, H. Karki and B. Balachandran, ‘Torsional oscillations of a rotor with continuous stator contact’, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 83, pp. 65-75, 2014.
- N. Vlajic, C. Liao, H. Karki and B. Balachandran, “Draft: Stick-Slip Motions of a Rotor-Stator System”, J. Vib. Acoust., vol. 136, no. 2, p. 021005, 2013.
- Majeed, Fesmi Abdul; Karki, Hamad; Karkoub, Mansour; Abdel Magid, Youssef Lotfy “Experimental Verification of Drill String Vibration Suppression Using an Adaptive Self-Tuning Controller” International Journal of Acoustics & Vibration;Mar2013, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p20
- F. Abdul Majeed, M. Karkoub, H. Karki, Y. Abdel Magid, “Identification of a Box Jenkins Model for Rotary Drilling Laboratory Prototype”, Int. J. of Modelling, Identification and Control, Inderscience publications, vol.17, No.4, 2012,Pp.302-314.
- C. Liao, N. Vlajic, H. Karki and B. Balachandran, ‘Parametric studies on drill-string motions’, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 260-268, 2012.
Articles in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Sweatt, M., Ayoade, A., Han, Q., Steele, J., Al-Wahedi, K., & Karki, H. (2015, May). WiFi based communication and localization of an autonomous mobile robot for refinery inspection. In Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2015 IEEE International Conference on (pp. 4490-4495). IEEE.
- Shukla, A., & Karki, H. (2014, March). Modeling Simulation and Control of 6-DOF Parallel Manipulator Using PID Controller and Compensator. In Advances in Control and Optimization of Dynamical Systems (Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 421-428).
- N. Vlajic, H. Karki and B. Balachandran, ‘Nonlinear Rotor Response with Coupled Lateral and Torsional Motions’, IEICE Proceeding Series, vol. 2, pp. 22-25, 2014.
- Steele, J. P., Han, Q., Karki, H., Al-Wahedi, K., Ayoade, A. A., Sweatt, M. R., … & Yearsley, W. A. (2014, November). Development of an Oil and Gas Refinery Inspection Robot. In ASME 2014 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (pp. V04AT04A016-V04AT04A016). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Tahir, A. B., Shiryayev, O., Vahdati, N., & Karki, H. (2013, November). Implementation of a Nonlinear Torsional Vibration Absorber for Suppression of Vibrations in Rotating Machinery. In ASME 2013 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (pp. V04AT04A064-V04AT04A064). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Shukla, A., & Karki, H. (2013, August). A review of robotics in onshore oil-gas industry. In Mechatronics and Automation (ICMA), 2013 IEEE International Conference on (pp. 1153-1160). IEEE.