Dr. Grigorios Chaidemenopoulos
Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Address: P.O. Box: 127788
Grigorios N. Chaidemenopoulos, prior to his current appointment, served as Professor of Physical Metallurgy and Director of the Laboratory of Materials (LoM) at University of Thessaly, Greece since 1992. His research is concerned with processing-structure-properties in metallic materials, dealing with transformation kinetics in TRIP steels, corrosion-induced hydrogen trapping in aluminum alloys and rolling contact fatigue in rails. More recent research focuses on computational alloy and process simulation with applications in the design of homogenization of extrudable aluminum alloys, the design of medium-Mn steels and the thermomechanical process design of HSLA steels. He is the developer of the ALLOYNEERING approach for the computational design of metallic alloys (www.alloyneering.com). In addition to teaching and research, he has provided consulting services to industry in the fields of process design, failure analysis, materials selection and corrosion control. He has served as an expert for the European Commission RFCS and HORIZON 2020 research programs. He has supervised several PhD students and has earned the University of Thessaly’s Mechanical Engineering Departmental Best Teaching Award for the years 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2014, and 2015. He is Member of Editorial Board of The Open Corrosion Journal and International Journal of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering. He has published a textbook entitled “Physical Metallurgy: Principles and Design” (CRC Press), 10 book chapters, 70 papers in refereed journals, and presented many keynote and invited lectures worldwide. He received his PhD in Metallurgy, MSc in Metallurgy, and MSc in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering from MIT (USA)..
- Ph.D., Metallurgy, MIT (USA), 1988
- M.Sc., Metallurgy, MIT (USA), 1985
- M.Sc., Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, MIT (USA), 1985
- Dipl. Ing., Mechanical Engineering, Aristotle University Thessaloniki (Greece), 1982
- Physical Metallurgy
- Science and Technology of Welding
- Plastic Deformation, Fracture and Strengthening Mechanisms of Metals
- Failure Analysis of Mechanical Components
- Computational Alloy Design
- Simulation of microstructure evolution in metals and alloys
- Transformation-induced plasticity
- TRIP steels and Medium-Mn 3rd Generation automotive steels
- Corrosion-induced Hydrogen Trapping in Aluminum Alloys
- J.S. Aristeidakis and G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Alloy design based on computational thermodynamics ans multiobjective optimization: the case of medium-Mn steels, accepted for publication to Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol.48A, pp.2584-2602, 2017.
- P.I. Sarafoglou, J.S. Aristeidakis, M.I.T. Tzini, G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Metallographic index-based quantification of the homogenization state in extrudable aluminum alloys, Metals, 6(5), 121, 2016.
- Z. Cai, H. Ding, H. Kamoutsi, G.N. Haidemenopoulos, R.D.K. Misra, Interplay between deformation behavior and mechanical properties of intercritically annealed and tempered medium-manganese transformation-induced plasticity steel, Materials Science and Enginnering A, 654, pp.359-367, 2016.
- H. Kamoutsi, E. Gioti, G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Z. Cai and H. Ding, Kinetics of solute partitioning during intercritical annealing of a medium-Mn steel, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 46, No.11, pp. 4841-4846, 2015 .
- G.N. Haidemenopoulos, N. Aravas and I. Bellas, Kinetics of Strain-Induced Transformation of Dispersed Austenite in Low-Alloy TRIP Steels, Materials Science and Engineering A 615, pp.416-413, 2014..
- H. Kamoutsi, G.N. Haidemenopoulos, V. Bontozoglou, P.V. Petroyiannis and S. Pantelakis, Effect of Prior Deformation and Heat Treatment on the Corrosion-Induced Hydrogen Embrittlement in Aluminum Alloy 2024, Corrosion Science, 80, pp.139-142, 2014.
- G.N. Haidemenopoulos, A.T. Kermanidis, C. Maliaros, H.H. Dickert, P. Kucharzyk, W. Bleck, On the effect of austenite stability on high cycle fatigue of TRIP 700 steel, Materials Science and Engineering A 573, p.7-11, 2013.
- G.N. Haidemenopoulos, H. Kamoutsi and A.D. Zervaki, Simulation of the transformation of iron intermetallics during homogenization of 6xxx series extrudable aluminum alloys, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 212, pp. 2255-2260, 2012.
- M.P. Papadopoulos, C.A. Apostolopoulos, A.D. Zervaki and G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Corrosion of Exposed Rebars, Associated Degradation and Correlation with Accelerated Corrosion Tests, Construction and Building Materials Vol.25(8), pp.3367-3374, 2011.
- G.N. Haidemenopoulos, A. Katsamas and H. Kamoutsi, Thermodynamics-Based Computational Design of Al-Mg-Zr-Sc Alloys, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A Vol.41(4), p.888-899, 2010
- A.Chamos, S. Pantelakis, E. Kamoutsi and G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Tensile and Fatigue Behavior of Wrought Magnesium Alloys AZ31 and AZ61, Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures 31(9),pp.812-821, 2008.
- S. Samaras and G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Modelling of Segregation and Homogenization of 6061 Extrudable Al-Alloy, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.194, pp.63-73, 2007
- A.D. Zervaki & G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Computational Kinetics Simulation of the Dissolution and Coarsening in the HAZ during Laser Welding of 6061-T6 Al-alloy, Welding Journal, Vol.86, pp. 211s-221s, 2007.
- I.Papatriantafillou, M. Agoras, N. Aravas and G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Constitutive Modeling and Finite Element Methods for TRIP Steels, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics & Engineering, 195, pp.5094-5114, 2006
- H. Kamoutsi, G.N. Haidemenopoulos, V. Bontozoglou and S. Pantelakis, Corrosion-Induced Hydrogen Embrittlement in Aluminum Alloy 2024, Corrosion Science, 48, pp.1209-1224, 2006
- G.N. Haidemenopoulos, Coupled Thermodynamic / Kinetic Analysis of Diffusional Transformations During Laser Hardening and Laser Welding, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 320, pp.302-307, 2001.