Dr. Firas Jarrar
Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Office: +971 (0)2 607 5018
Dr. Firas Jarrar is currently an Assistant Professor at Khalifa University of Science and Technology – KU. He joined the Petroleum Institute – PI (which later became part of KU) in 2013. Before that he worked as an Assistant Professor at the University of Jordan. He received his Ph.D. degree with honors in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Kentucky in 2009.
His research experience is related to advanced techniques for fabricating lightweight components mainly for the automotive and aerospace industries, analysis of nanosatellites, and nonlinear dynamics. In addition, Dr. Jarrar is currently involved in designing and building small satellites as a Co-PI in two ongoing satellite projects at the YahSat Space lab. at KU. His industrial experience includes working for the Jordan Petroleum Refinery Co. as a mechanical Engineer for three years. Dr. Firas has published more than twenty papers in various international journals and peer-reviewed conference proceedings. In 2017 he was awarded the Dean of the College of Engineering Teaching Award at the Petroleum Institute.
- D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA (2005–2009).
- S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan (2002–2005).
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan (1995–2001).
- Engineering Dynamics.
- Mechanics of Materials.
- Introduction to Robotics.
- Mechanical Engineering Design Project I & II.
- Applied Finite Element Analysis (Graduate Course).
- Spacecraft Systems and Design (Graduate Course).
- Design and analysis of small satellites.
- Superplastic forming of lightweight sheet metals.
- Friction-stir welding.
- Kinematic analysis of robot manipulators.
- Jarrar (PI), W. Cantwell, R. Abu Al-Rub, I. Barsoum, W. Zaki, G. Haidemenopoulos, K. Khan, K. Liao, Novel Types of Lightweight Sandwich Structures and Composites, part of RCII: Advanced Digital & Additive Manufacturing (ADAM) Center of Excellence, 2019-2022.
- Prashanth Marpu (PI), Elena Fantino (Co-PI), Firas Jarrar (Co-PI), UAE Mini Satellite Challenge, funded by the UAE Space Agency in collaboration with Khalifa University and Boeing Corporation, 2018 – 2019.
- Jarrar (Co-PI), YahSat-Orbital ATK sponsored academic program on Space Systems and Technology, funded by YahSat and Orbital ATK, 2017 – 2019.
- Firas Jarrar (PI), Fahrettin Ozturk (Co-PI), Jamal Ahmed (Co-PI), Superplastic materials for compact heat exchangers in the oil & gas Industry, funded by the Petroleum Institute Research Initiation Funding Program, 2015 – 2016.
- Fahrettin Ozturk (PI), Firas Jarrar (Co-PI), Finite element analysis of mechanically sleeved CRA pipes for oil and gas pipelines, funded by the Petroleum Institute Research Initiation Funding Program, 2015 -2016.
- Y. Sheikh-Ahmad, D.S. Ali, S. Deveci, F. Almaskari, F. Jarrar, “Friction Stir Welding of High Density Polyethylene–Carbon Black Composite,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 264, pp. 402-413, 2019.
- Jarrar, D. Sorgente, S. Aksenov, and F. Enikeev, “On the challenges and prospects of the superplastic forming process,” Materials Science Forum, vol. 941, pp. 2343-2348, 2018.
- Sheikh-Ahmad, D. Ali, F. Jarrar, S. Deveci, “A study of friction stir welding of high density polyethylene,” Proceedings of the ASME 2018 13th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC2018), June 18-22, 2018, College Station, TX, USA.
- Dai, F. Jarrar, F. Ozturk, J. Sheikh-Ahmad, “On the effect of the complexity of the constitutive model in simulating superplastic forming,” Defect and Diffusion Forum, vol. 385, pp. 379-384, 2018.
- Farman, M. Al-Shaibah, Z. Aoraiath, and F. Jarrar, “Design of a three degrees of freedom robotic arm,” International Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 179(37), pp. 12-17, 2018.
- Hou, J. Sheikh-Ahmad, F. Jarrar, and F. Ozturk, “Residual stresses in dissimilar friction stir welding of AA2024 and AZ31: experimental and numerical study,” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, vol. 140 (5), pp. 051015-1 – 051015-10, 2018.
- Dong, F. Ozturk, F. Jarrar, and J. Y. Sheikh-Ahmad “Numerical post-buckling analysis of mechanically lined CRA pipes,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, vol. 140, pp. 014502-1 – 014502-4, 2018.
- Li, F. Jarrar, J. Sheikh-Ahmad, and F. Ozturk, “Using coupled Eulerian Lagrangian formulation for accurate modeling of the friction stir welding process,” Procedia Engineering, vol. 207, pp. 574-579, 2017.
- Li, G. Dai, J. Shi, F. Jarrar, F. Ozturk, and J. Sheikh-Ahmad, “Using the particle swarm optimization method for the constitutive modeling of AZ31B,” Material Science and Engineering Technology, vol. 48 (10), pp. 993-997, 2017.
- Guo, F. Ozturk, F. Jarrar, J. Y. Sheikh-Ahmad, “Analysis of contact pressure of mechanically lined corrosion resistant alloy pipe by hydraulic expansion process,” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, vol. 139 (2), pp. 021212, 2017.
- Juneidi, R. Asha, F. Jarrar, and F. Ozturk, “Design for manufacturing of an aluminum superplastic AA5083 alloy plate-fin heat exchanger,” Journal of Materials Science Research, vol. 5 (2), pp. 115-121, 2016.
- Jarrar, R. Jafar, O. Tulupova, F. Enikeev, and N. Al-Huniti, “Constitutive modeling for the simulation of the superplastic forming of AA5083,” Materials Science Forum, vol. 838, pp. 512-517, 2016.
- Y. Sheikh-Ahmad, F. Ozturk, F. Jarrar, and Z. Evis, “Thermal history and microstructure during friction stir welding of Al–Mg Alloy,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 86, pp. 1-11, 2016.
- Jafar, F. Jarrar, and N. Al-Huniti, “Two-stage approach for improving the thickness distribution in superplastic forming,” Journal of Materials Science Research, vol. 4 (1), pp. 12-27, 2015.
- Jarrar, M. Liewald, P. Schmid, and A. Fortanier, “Superplastic forming of triangular channels with sharp radii,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, vol. 23 (4), pp. 1313-1320, 2014.
- S. Jarrar, L. G. Hector, Jr., M. K. Khraisheh, and K. Deshpande, “Gas pressure profile prediction from variable strain rate deformation paths in AA5083 bulge forming,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, vol. 21(11), pp. 2263-2273, 2012.
- I. Albakri, F. S. Jarrar, and M. K. Khraisheh, “Effects of interfacial friction distribution on the superplastic forming of AA5083,” Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, vol. 133, pp. 031008-031014, 2011.
- S. Jarrar, L. G. Hector, Jr., M. K. Khraisheh, and A. F. Bower, “New approach to gas pressure profile prediction for high temperature AA5083 sheet forming,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 210, pp. 825-834, 2010.
- S. Jarrar, F. K. Abu-Farha, L. G. Hector, Jr., and M. K. Khraisheh, “Simulation of high temperature AA5083 bulge forming with a hardening/softening material model,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, vol. 18(7), pp. 863-870, 2009.
- F. S. Jarrar and M. N. Hamdan, “Nonlinear vibrations and buckling of a flexible rotating beam: a prescribed torque approach,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, vol. 42(8), pp. 919-939, 2007.