Dr. Federico Renda
Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Khalifa University Robotics Institute (KURI)
Address: P.O.Box 127788, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Telephone: +971-2-401 8082
Dr. Federico Renda received his BSc and MSc degrees in Biomedical Engineering in 2007 and 2009 respectively from the University of Pisa (Italy). He completed his PhD in Robotics in 2014 from the Scuola Superiore SantAnna, Pisa. In 2013, as visiting PhD student, he joined the IRCCyN Lab, at the Ecole des Mines de Nantes (France).
Before joining the Khalifa University of Science and Technology, he has been appointed as Post-Doctoral Fellow at the BioRobotics Institute of the Scuola Superiore Sant’ Anna, Pisa, where he developed geometrically exact models of beam-like and shell-like underwater soft robots. Since 2015, he has been a Post-Doctoral Fellow with the Khalifa University Robotics Institute (KURI), where he presently serves as Assistant Professor of mechanical engineering.
His research interests include geometric mechanics, dynamic modeling of underwater robots and marine structures inspection. He is an associate member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- PhD BioRobotics, Scuola Superiore SantAnna, Italy, 2014
- MEng Biomedical Engineering, University of Pisa, Italy, 2009
- BEng Biomedical Engineering, University of Pisa, Italy, 2007
- Differential Equation and Linear Algebra
- UAV Modeling and Control
- Dynamic Systems and Vibration
- Soft Robotics
- Biologically Inspired Robotics
- Underwater Robotics
- F. Renda, M. Cianchetti, H. Abidi, J. Dias, L. Seneviratne “Screw-Based Modeling of Soft Manipulators With Tendon and Fluidic Actuation” ASME. J. Mechanisms Robotics, 2017;9(4):041012-041012-8.
- T. G. Thuruthel, E. Falotico, F. Renda, C. Laschi “Learning dynamic models for open loop predictive control of soft robotic manipulators” Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 2017, DOI:10.1088/1748-3190/aa839f.
- V. Cacucciolo, F. Renda, E. Poccia, C. Laschi, M. Cianchetti “Modelling the Nonlinear Response of Fibre-reinforced Bending Fluidic Actuators” Smart Materials and Structures, 25:10, 2016.
- F. Boyer and F. Renda. Poincar´e’s equations for cosserat media: Application to shells. Journal of Nonlinear Science, 2016.
- F. Renda, F Giorgio-Serchi, F. Boyer and C. Laschi “Modeling Cephalopod-inspired Pulsed-jet Locomotion for Underwater Soft Robots” Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 10:5, 055005, 2015.
- M. Giorelli, F. Renda, M. Calisti, A. Arienti, G. Ferri, C. Laschi “Neural Network and Jacobian Method for Solving the Inverse Statics of a Cable-Driven Soft Arm With Nonconstant
Curvature,” in Robotics, IEEE Transactions on , vol.31, no.4, pp.823-834, Aug. 2015.
- F. Renda, F. Giorgio Serchi, F. Boyer and C. Laschi. “Structural Dynamics of a Pulsed-Jet Propulsion System for Underwater Soft Robots”. Int J Adv Robot Syst, 2015, 12:68.
- M. Giorelli, F. Renda, M. Calisti, A. Arienti, G. Ferri and C. Laschi “Learning the Inverse Kinetics of an Octopus-like manipulator in Three-Dimensional Space” Bioinspiration &
Biomimetics, vol. 10, no 3, 035006, May 2015.
- F. Renda, M. Giorelli, M. Calisti, M. Cianchetti and C. Laschi “Dynamic Model of a Multibending Soft Robot Arm Driven by Cables,” Robotics, IEEE Transactions on , vol.30, no.5,
pp.1109,1122, Oct. 2014.
- F. Renda, M. Cianchetti, M. Giorelli, A. Arienti and C. Laschi “A 3D Steady State Model of a Tendon-Driven Continuum Soft Manipulator Inspired by Octopus Arm” Bioinspiration &
Biomimetics, 7 (2012), 025006.