Dr. Ebrahim Al-Hajri
Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Habshan Building, Room 5339
Office: +971 2 607 5450
Fax: +971 2 607 5200
Dr. Al Hajri is currently the Director of External Relations and Collaboration and an Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering. At his capacity as a director he manages the institution’s relations locally and international, alumni relations, student exchange programs and community outreach.
His research interest areas are within conventional and micro-channel mass/heat exchangers design, micro reactors, and energy efficiency and recovery. His research group is currently involved in several project such as: evaluation of heat transfer and pressure drop of enhanced tubes, external fouling of a fin-fan heat exchanger, waste heat recovery using a double absorption systems, exploration of geothermal heat diffusion mechanism and more.
Dr. Al Hajri has published a number of articles in highly recognized journals and conference proceedings. He has organized and co-organized local and international workshops and conference and was invited to speak in several international and local conferences. He also serves as a reviewer for ASME and ASHRAE journals in the area relevant to thermal-fluids and energy systems.
Dr. Al Hajri is a recipient of several awards, including Best Service Award 2012 at the Petroleum Institute, The Fluid Engineering Division awarded an Honorable Mention in the 2011 Young Engineering Paper Contest from ASME, Rashid Award for Scientific Outstanding 2010, Special Recognition Award of ADNOC HSE Awards 2010, First place winner PI Sustainability Award 2010, Appreciation for being granted funding by ASHRAE for a distinguished research and Grant-in-aid from the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineering.
Dr. Al Hajri is currently the President of the ASHRAE Falcon Chapter in UAE and has been serving as a member of the chapter’s board of governance since 2010. He is also a member and a chair of several technical committees in ASHRAE and ASME.
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, USA (2003-2009)
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado, Denver, USA (2001-2003)
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Arizona, Tucson, USA (1998–2001)
- Design and testing of conventional & micro-channel heat/mass exchangers
- Energy efficiency and waste heat recovery
- Micro-reactors and process enhancement
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Jha, Dessiatoun, Shooshtari, Al-Hajri & Ohadi, “Experimental Characterization of a Nickel-Alloy based Manifold-Microgroove Evaporator” Heat Transfer Engineering Journal, Volume 35, Issue 18, 2014
- Ebrahim Al-Hajri , Amir H. Shooshtari, Serguei Dessiatoun, Michael M. Ohadi, “Performance Characterization of R134a and R245fa in a High Aspect Ratio Microchannel Condenser” International Journal of Refrigeration 36 (2013) 588-600
- H. Ganapathy, E. Al-Hajri, M.M. Ohadi, 2012, “Mass Transfer Characteristics of Gas-Liquid Absorption in a Taylor Flow Mini/Microchannel Reactor,” Journal of Chemical Engineering Science (submitted, 2012).
- V. Jha, S. Dessiatoun, A. Shooshtari, M. Ohadi, and E. Al-Hajri, “Force-Fed Evaporator Development for Low Grade Waste Heat Recovery”, Proceedings of the ASME 2011 Pacific Rim Technical Conference & Exposition on Packaging and Integration of Electronic and Photonic Systems, InterPACK2011, July 6-8, 2011, Portland, Oregon, USA
- H. Ganapathy, E. Al-Hajri, M.M. Ohadi, 2013, Phase field modeling of Taylor flow in mini/microchannels, Part I: Bubble formation mechanisms and phase field parameters, Chemical Engineering Science, 94, pp. 138-149.
- H. Ganapathy, E. Al-Hajri, M.M. Ohadi, 2013, Phase field modeling of Taylor flow in mini/microchannels, Part II: Hydrodynamics of Taylor flow, Chemical Engineering Science, 94, pp. 156-165.
Articles in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- H. Ganapathy, E. Al-Hajri, and M. Ohadi, “Numerical Simulation of Mass Transfer Characteristics In A Taylor Flow Microreactor” Proceedings of the ASME 2011 9th International Conference on Nanochannels, Microchannels, and Minichannels, ICNMM2011, June 19-22, 2011, Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA.
- H. Ganapathy, E. Al-Hajri, and M. Ohadi, “Numerical Simulation of Taylor Flow In Microchannels By The Phase Field Method” Proceedings of the ASME 2011 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, IMECE2011, November 11-17, 2011, Denver, CO, USA.
- Harish Ganapathy, Ebrahim Al-Hajri, Michael M. Ohadi, “Phase field method for simulation of multiphase flow”, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, November 11-19, 2011, Denver, Colorado, USA.
- Harish Ganapathy, Ebrahim Al-Hajri, Michael M. Ohadi, “Phase Field Method for Simulation of Multiphase Flow”, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, IMECE2011-66279 pp. 1309-1319, November 11-19, 2011, Denver, Colorado, USA.
- A. Al-Obaidi, K. Al-Ali, M. Rabia, K. Al-Khuffash, Y. Qaroot, K. Saleh, L. Lamont, E. Al-Hajeri, “Novel Autonomous Recycling System”, SPE Middle East Health, Safety, Security, and Environment Conference and Exhibition, 2-4 April 2012, Abu Dhabi, UAE, ISBN 978-1-61399-195-4
Invited Seminars & Conference Presentations / Posters
- T. Poddar, A. Jagannath, and A. Almansoori, “Techno-economic analysis of biodiesel production using reactive distillation,” presented at 1st UAE Graduate Students Research Conference, Abu Dhabi, 2015.
- Betancourt-Torcat and A. Almansoori, “Overview of future energy systems using mathematical modeling approaches,” presented at the World Future Energy Summit 2013, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E., 2013.
- Pitsas and A. Almansoori, “Design and optimization of combined heat and power plant with CO2 capture,” presented at the World Future Energy Summit 2013, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E., 2013.
- D. Georgis, F. V. Lima, A. Almansoori, and P. Daoutidis, “Modeling and control of water gas shift membrane reactors for hydrogen production and carbon capture,” presented at the Process Systems Engineering (PSE) Advanced Process Modeling Forum, New York City, New York, U.S., 2013.
- Kantor, A. Betancourt-Torcat, A. Almansoori, A. Elkamel, and M. Fowler, “Mixed-integer optimization of material and energy integrations in an eco-industrial park” presented at the Applied Mathematics, Modeling and Computational Science (AMMCS), Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, 2013.