Dr. Dimitris Goussis
Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Address: P.O. Box: 127788, Abu Dhabi, UAE
After obtaining his PhD degree from the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Dept. of UCLA in 1986, Dr. Dimitris Goussis joined the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Princeton University as a Research Staff until 1991. He then returned to Greece, where he joined the faculty of the Mechanical Engineering Dept. at the University of Patras and then the faculty in the Mechanics Section of the School of Applied Mathematical and Physical Sciences at the National Technical University of Athens. He joined Khalifa University in 2016.
The major focus of his work is the development of algorithmic methodologies for the acquisition of the essential physical understanding, by analyzing mathematical models that simulate physical phenomena, with applications in the fields of combustion, biology, pharmacokinetics and mechanics. He has been a member of the organizing committee of the Int. Conference on Numerical Combustion and currently serves in the organizing committee of the Int. Workshop on Model Reduction in Reacting Flows. He has participated in a number of research projects funded by the European Commission.
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, UCLA (1986)
- Engineer, Mechanical Engineering, UCLA (1984)
- MSc, Mechanical Engineering, UCLA (1982)
- BSc, Mechanical Engineering, Univ. of Patras (1978)
- MEEN 240 Thermodynamics
- MEEN 335 Fluid Mechanics
- Reacting flows
- Systems biology
- Model reduction
Recent Research Projects
- “Feasibility of Solar Fuels for Sustainable Transportation”, CIRA, 2019-2022, PI.
- “Analysis of a mathematical model simulating the immune response to a growing cancerous tumor”, Sandooq Al Watan, 2018-2019, PI.
- “Industry Consortium for Fuel Combustion”, Collaboration with KAUST, 2018-2019, PI.
- “HighFidelityComputationsforExtremeCombustion”,CollaborationwithKAUST,PurdueUniv.and Univ. of Rome, 2014-2018, PI.
- “Tools for the Algorithmic Analysis of Chemical and Biochemical Mechanisms”, ARISTEIA, EU (European Social Fund), 2012-2015, PI.
- “Chemical ignition characteristics of ethanol blending with primary reference fuels”, E. Singh, E.A. Tin- gas, D.A. Goussis, H.G. Im, S.M. Sarathy, accepted Energy & Fuel, 2019.
- “A new Michaelis-Menten equation valid everywhere multi-scale dynamics prevails”, D.G. Patsatzis and D.A. Goussis, Mathematical Biosciences, 315:108220, 2019.
- “H2/air autoignition dynamics around the 3rd explosion limit”, E.Al. Tingas, D.C. Kyritsis and D.A. Goussis, J. Energy Engineering, 145(1):1049:04018074, 2019.
- “Asymptotic analysis of a TMDD model: When a reaction contributes to the destruction of its products”, L.Y. Michalaki and D.A. Goussis, Journal of Mathematical Biology, 77:821-855, 2018.
- “Issues arising in the construction of QSSA mechanisms: the case of n-heptane/air reduced mod- els for premixed flames”, E.Al. Tingas and D.A. Goussis, Combustion Theory and Modelling, 22(6):1049:1083, 2018.
- “A comparison of two kinetics models for CH4/air autoignition”, E.Al. Tingas, D.M. Manias, S.M. Sarathy and D.A. Goussis, Fuel, 223:74-85, 2018.
- “Chemical kinetic insights into the ignition dynamics of n-hexane”, E.Al. Tingas, Z. Wang, S.M. Sarathy, H.G. Im and D.A. Goussis, Combustion and Flame, 188:28-40, 2018.
- “The use of CO2 as an additive for ignition delay and pollutant control in CH4/air autoignition”, E.Al. Tingas, D.C. Kyritsis and D.A. Goussis, Fuel, 211:898-905, 2018.
- “Comparative investigation of homogeneous autoignition of EtOH/air and DME/air mixtures at low initial temperatures”, E.Al. Tingas, D.C. Kyritsis and D.A. Goussis, Combustion Theory and Modelling, 21:93-119, 2017.
- “Asymptotic analysis of a target mediated drug disposition model: algorithmic and traditional approaches”, D.G. Patsatzis, D.T. Maris, D.A. Goussis, Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, 78:1121- 1161, 2016.