Dr. Andreas Schiffer
Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Address: P.O.Box 127788, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Dr. Schiffer is a faculty member in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Khalifa University of Science and Technology. He obtained his doctorate degree from the University of Oxford in 2013, graduating with a thesis on the response of submerged structures subject to underwater blast. Before joining the Khalifa University of Science and Technology in April 2014, Dr. Schiffer was granted an EPSRC Doctoral Prize Fellowship at Imperial College London where he worked for one year as a Research Associate in the Department of Aeronautics.
Dr. Schiffer’s research interests cover multiple themes in the broad area of solid mechanics and are currently focused on theoretical and numerical modelling of deformation and failure in single and multi-phase materials under low or high rates of strain. He has a particular interest in the design of advanced lattice materials and multifunctional composites as well as in nondestructive testing of materials and structures using solitary wave-based diagnostic schemes. Dr. Schiffer’s research has led to several publications in prestigious international journals, book chapters and conference proceedings. He has spent several research visits at the Imperial College in London and delivered invited presentations and seminars at top-rank universities, including the University of Cambridge, University of Oxford, Imperial College London and the Harbin Institute of Technology. He serves as a regular reviewer for several international journals and he is a member of the European Mechanics Society.
Dr. Schiffer’s work has been awarded with several research grants, including an EPSRC Doctoral price fellowship in the UK (2013-2014) and the AARE award for research excellence by the Abu Dhabi Department of Education and Knowledge (2018-2019).
Advisor to the following students:
- Sara Almahri
- Roba Saab
- Shaohong Luo (co-advisor)
- Omar W. Saadi (co-advisor)
- Muhammad U. Azam (co-advisor)
- DPhil, Engineering Science, University of Oxford, UK (2013)
- Dipl-Ing, Mechanical Engineering, Graz University of Technology, Austria (2009)
- MEEN 201 Engineering Dynamics
- MEEN 387 Machine Element Design
- MEEN 420 Materials Strength and Fracture
- MEEN 701 Fracture Mechanics and Fatigue
- ENGR 113 Introduction to Computing using Matlab
- ENGR 455 Finite Element Analysis
- Finite element modelling
- Nonlinear wave dynamics
- Blast and impact
- Composites and lattice materials
- Non-destructive testing
Recent Research Projects
- “Development of nano-carbon-zeolite hybrid supports for novel hydro-processing catalysts” (Sponsor: Abu Dhabi Department of Education and Knowledge (ADEK), Principal/Co-Investigator: Dr. A. Schiffer / Dr. S. Kumar, 2018-2019)
Summary: Hydrocracking is used in the petrochemical industry to convert heavy hydrocarbons into lighter, value-added products using a bi-functional catalyst composed of metal particles and an acid support. This project aims to develop hybrid hydrocracking catalyst supports with hierarchical pore structure by incorporating nano-carbons (CNTs, Graphene) into the acid support (zeolite).
- “Site-specific bone quality assessment for in vivo diagnosis of osteoporosis” (Sponsor: Abu Dhabi Department of Education and Knowledge (ADEK), Principal/Co-Investigator: Dr. T.-Y. Kim / Dr. A. Schiffer, 2018-2019)
Summary: Osteoporosis is a skeletal disease mainly caused by the reduction of bone mineral density and micro-architectural degeneration of bone quality. This project aims to develop a novel diagnostic scheme for non-invasive and accurate assessment of osteoporosis via direct measurement of bone mechanical properties using a recently developed granular crystal sensor.
- “Additive Manufacturing of Multifunctional PEEK Composites for Biomedical Applications: Characterization & Modeling to Innovative Product Design – A Holistic Approach” (Sponsor: Competitive Internal Research Award (CIRA) – Khalifa University of Science and Technology, Principal/Co-Investigator: Dr. S. Kumar / Dr. A. Schiffer, 2018-2021)
Summary: Orthopaedic implants represent one of the largest segments of biomedical devices, with global market value exceeding USD 45 billion. This project focuses on additive manufacturing and design of medical grade PEEK composites with nanoscale and/or microscale fiber reinforced cellular materials architecture exhibiting multifunctional properties.
- Kumar, S., Ubaid, J., Abishera, R., Schiffer, A., Deshpande, V.S., 2019. Tunable Energy Absorption Characteristics of Architected Honeycombs Enabled via Additive Manufacturing, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, in press.
- Andrew, J., Schiffer, A., Ubaid, J., Hafeez, F., Kumar, S., 2019. Impact performance enhancement of honeycomb structures through additive manufacturing-enabled geometrical tailoring, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 134, 103360.
- Schiffer, A., Zacharopoulos, P., Foo, D., Tagarielli, V.L., 2019. A coarse model for the multiaxial elastic-plastic response of ductile porous materials, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 86: 081002.
- Patole, S.P., Reddy, S.K., Schiffer, A., Askar, K., Prusty, B.G., Kumar, S., 2019. Piezoresistive and mechanical characteristics of graphene foam nanocomposites, ACS Applied Nano Materials, 2: 1402-1411.
- Schiffer, A., Kim, T.-Y., 2019. Modelling of the Interaction between Nonlinear Solitary Waves and Composite Beams, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 151: 181-191.
- Schiffer, A., Lee, D., Kim, E., Kim, T.-Y., 2018. Interaction of Highly Solitary Waves with Rigid Polyurethane Foams, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 152-153: 39-50.
- Al Hanaee, S., Yi, Y., Schiffer, A., 2018. Ultimate pressure capacity of nuclear reactor containment buildings under unaged and aged conditions, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 335: 128-139.
- Schiffer, A., Alkhaja, A.I., Yang, J., Esfahani, E.N., Kim, T.-Y., 2017. Interaction of Highly Nonlinear Solitary Waves with Elastic Solids Containing a Spherical Void, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 118-119: 204-212.
- Schiffer, A., Lynn, R.H., Gardner, M., Tagarielli, V.L., 2017. A new apparatus to induce lysis of planktonic microbial cells by shock compression, cavitation and spray, Royal Society Open Science, 4: 160939.
- Schiffer, A., Tagarielli, V.L., 2017. Underwater Blast Loading of Water-backed Sandwich Plates with Elastic Cores: Theoretical Modelling and Simulations, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 102: 62-73.
- Schiffer, A., Tagarielli, V.L., 2015. Predictions of the Interlaminar Tensile Failure of a Carbon/Epoxy Composite Laminate, Composite Structures, 133: 997-1008.
- Tagarielli, V.L., Schiffer, A., 2016. The Response to Underwater Blast. In: Silberschmidt, V.V. ed. Dynamic Deformation, Damage and Fracture in Composite Materials and Structures. Woodhead Publishing, pp. 279-306.
- Schiffer, A., Cantwell, W.J., Tagarielli, V.L., 2015. An analytical model of the dynamic response of circular composite plates to high-velocity impact, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 85: 67-82.
- Samad, Y.A., Li, Y., Schiffer, A., Alhassan, S.M., Liao, K., 2015. Graphene Foam Developed with a Novel Two-Step Technique for Low and High Strains and Pressure-Sensing Applications, Small, 11: 2380-2385.
- Schiffer, A., Tagarielli, V.L., 2015. The Response of Circular Composite Plates to Underwater Blast: Experiments and Modelling, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 52: 130-144.
- Schiffer, A., Tagarielli, V.L., 2014. The dynamic response of composite plates to underwater blast: theoretical and numerical modelling, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 70: 1-13.
- Schiffer, A., Tagarielli, V.L., 2014. One-dimensional Response of Sandwich Plates to Underwater Blast: Fluid-Structure Interaction Experiments and Simulations, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 71: 34-49.
- Schiffer, A., Tagarielli, V.L., 2013. The One-dimensional Response of a Water-Filled Double Hull to Underwater Blast: Experiments and Simulations, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 63: 177-187.
- Schiffer, A., Tagarielli, V.L., 2012. The Response of Rigid Plates to Blast in Deep Water: Fluid-Structure Interaction Experiments, Proceedings of the Royal Society London A, 468: 2807-2828.
- Schiffer, A., Tagarielli, V.L., Petrinic, N., Cocks, A.F.C., 2012. The Response of Rigid Plates to Deep Water Blast Loading: Analytical Models and Finite Element Predictions, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 79: 061014.