Dr. Afshin Goharzadeh
Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Ruwais Building, Room 3010-C
Office: +971 (0)2 607 5396
Dr. Goharzadeh is an expert in experimental fluid mechanics, graduated from the University of Le Havre in France (2001). His Ph.D. subject was focused on the experimental characterization of Laminar-Turbulent transition in rotating fluids. After his Ph.D., he joined the Max Planck Institute for Marine Microbiology in Bremen (Germany) as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow. His research interests are focused on experimental characterization of complex fluid flow such as multiphase flows, fluid-porous interactions and recently in asphaltene deposition in microfluidic models. He is actively involved in the development of modern Fluid Mechanics Laboratories within the Mechanical Engineering department in KU laboratories based on both (i) micro-fabrication of transparent micro-models and (ii) state-of-the-art flow visualization techniques such as Particle Image Velocimetry (Standard and Micro-PIV), Laser Doppler Velocimmetry (LDV), High Speed Photography and Infrared Thermography.
- D. Mechanical Engneering, University of Le Havre, France (2001)
- E.A (M.Sc.) Aero-Thermo-Chemistry, University of Rouen, France (1998)
- B.Sc. Applied Physics, University of Le Havre, France (1997)
- MEEN 240 Thermodynamics
- MEEN 335 Fluid Mechanics
- MEEN 343 Heat Transfer
- MEEN 435 Turbomachinery
- MEEN 497/498 Senior Design Projects I/II
- MEEN 604 Advanced Fluid Mechanics
- MEEN 613 Advanced Heat Transfer
- MEEN 615 Multiphase Flow Engineering
- MEEN 620 Measurements and Instrumentation
- Laser-based flow diagnostics
- Multiphase Flow
- Flow in Porous Media
- Fluid Instabilities
Recent Research Projects
- “Integrated Strategies for Online Monitoring, Prediction and Remediation of Asphaltene Deposition Problems” (Sponsor: ADNOC Oil-Subcommittee, Principal Investigator: Afshin Goharzadeh, 2014-2018)
The main objective is to develop an integrated approach for prediction of asphaltene deposition in wellbore, including establish fundamental understanding of asphaltene deposition mechanisms, enhancement of EOS-based simulation tools and dynamic integration with CFD model.
- “Experimental and Numerical Studies on Flow through Porous Media and Capillary Systems” (Sponsor: ADNOC Oil-Subcommittee, Principal Investigator: Afshin Goharzadeh, 2013-2017)
In this project, a combined experimental and numerical approach is employed to investigate asphaltene deposition in porous media and capillaries. A novel total concentration approach is developed to capture the moving depositing front numerically during asphaltene deposition.
- Zhang, D., Goharzadeh A. (2019) “Effect of Sudden Expansion on Two-Phase Flow in a Horizontal Pipe”, Fluid Dyn. 54 (1) pp. 123–136.
- Liu L., Stetsyuk V., Kubiak K.J., Yap Y.F., Goharzadeh A., Chai J.C. (2019) “Determination of the Convective Heat Transfer Coefficient of Nanofluids”, Chemical Engineering Communications, Vol 206 (6), pp. 761-771.
- Fouad W., Abutaqiya M., K. Mogensen K., Yap Y.F., Goharzadeh A., Vargas F., Vega L. (2018) “A Predictive Model for PVT Properties and Asphaltene Instability of Crude Oils Under Gas Injection”, Energy Fuels, Vol. 32 (8), pp 8318-8328.
- Onaka Y., Goharzadeh A., Sato K. (2018) “Effect of Wettabilities on Flow in Porous Media”, Jpn. Petrol Inst. Vol. 61 (6), pp. 342-349.
- Guan Q., Goharzadeh A., Chai J.C., Vargas F.M., Biswal S.L. , Chapman W.G. and Zhang M. and Y.F. Yap, (2018) “An Integrated Model for Asphaltene Deposition in Wellbores/Pipelines” Petrol. Sci. Eng., Vol. 169, pp. 353-373.
- Zhuang Y., Goharzadeh A., Lin Y., Yap Yit F., Chai J. C., Mathew N., Vargas F., Biswal Sibani L., (2018) “Experimental Study of Asphaltene Deposition in Transparent Microchannels Using Light Absorption Method”, J. Dispers. Sci. Technol., Vol. 39 (5), pp. 744-753.
- Lin Y.-J., He P.; Tavakkoli M., Mathew N., Fatt Y., Chai J., Goharzadeh A., Vargas F., Biswal Sibani L., (2017) “Characterizing Asphaltene Deposition in the Presence of Chemical Dispersants in Porous Media Micromodels”, Energy and Fuels, 31 (11), pp 11660–11668.
- Zhuang Y., Goharzadeh A., Lin Y., Yap Yit F., Chai J. C., Mathew N., Vargas F., Biswal Sibani L., (2016) “Three dimensional measurements of asphaltene deposition in a transparent micro-channel”, J. Petrol. Sci. Eng., Vol. 145, pp. 77-82.
- Lin Y. J., He P., Tavakkoli , Mathew N.M., Yap Yit F., Chai J.C., Goharzadeh A., Vargas F.M., and Biswal S.L., (2016) “Examining Asphaltene Solubility on Deposition in Model Porous Media”, Langmuir, 32 Vol. 34, pp. 8729–8734.
- Goharzadeh A., Molki, A., (2015) “Measurement of Fluid Velocity Development behind a Circular Cylinder using Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV),” J. Phys. 36 015001. Highlights collection
- Goharzadeh A., Rodgers, P., Liang, W., (2013) “Experimental Characterization of Slug Flow on Solid Particle Transport in Inclined Pipelines,” ASME-Transactions – Fluids Eng. Vol. 135, Issue 8, 081304 (6 pp.).
- Qu, X., Goharzadeh, A., L. Khezzar, L., and Molki, A., (2013) “Experimental characterization of air-entrainment in a plunging jet”, Therm. Fluid Sci., Vol. 44, pp. 51-61.
- Molki A., Khezzar L., and Goharzadeh A., (2013) “Measurement of Fluid Velocity Development in Laminar Pipe Flow using Laser Doppler Velocimetry,” J. Phys. Vol. 34, pp. 1127–1134.
- Goharzadeh, A., Rodgers, P., and Touati, C., (2010) “Influence of Gas-Liquid Two-Phase Intermittent Flow on Hydraulic Sand Dune Migration in Horizontal Pipelines”, ASME-Transactions – Journal of Fluid Engineering, 132, 071301-7.
- Alshehhi, M., Shooshtari, A., Dessiatoun, S., Ohadi, M., and Goharzadeh, A., (2010) “Parametric Performance Analysis of an Electrostatic Wire-Cylinder Aerosol Separator in Laminar Flow Using a Numerical Modeling Approach “, Separation Science and Technology, 45, Issue 3, pp. 299-309.
- Goharzadeh, A., and Mutabazi, I. (2010) “Measurement of coefficients of the Ginzburg-Landau equation for patterns of Taylor spirals”, Review E 82, 016306.
- Goharzadeh, A., Rodgers, P., (2009) “Experimental Measurement of Laminar Axisymmetric Flow Through Confined Annular Geometries with Sudden Inward Expansion”, ASME-Transactions – Journal of Fluid Engineering. 131, 124501 (4pp).
- Goharzadeh, A., and Rodgers, P., (2009) “Experimental Characterization of Solid Particle Transport by Slug Flow Using Particle Image Velocimetry”, Phys.: Conf. Ser. Vol. 147, 012069 (13pp).
- Khezzar, L., Seibi, A., and Goharzadeh, A., (2009) “Water Sloshing in rectangular Tanks An Experimental Investigation & Numerical Simulation”, International Journal of Engineering (IJE), 3(2), pp. 174-184.
- Goharzadeh, A. and Mutabazi, I., (2008) “The Phase Dynamics of Spiral Turbulence in the Couette-Taylor System”, Eur. Phys. J. B, Vol. 66, pp. 8184.