Dr. Adel Gougam
Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Prof. Gougam received his MSc and PhD in condensed matter physics from the university of Montpellier in 1993 and 1997 respectively. Prior to his current appointment (Fall 2011), he was a research associate at Michigan State University (1998-2000) and University of Toronto (2002-2007). He subsequently worked for the R&D department of a Canadian based Photovoltaic company (in Waterloo, ON) as a technical manager and moved to the R&D organization imec (www.imec.be) in Leuven, Belgium as the technical lead for the Heterojunction back contacted solar cell team.
His research focuses in the areas of thin films processing for various applications mainly for Si based solar cells, energy efficiency of glass buildings, as well as thin films for superconducting/magnetic applications.
Advised the following students & staff
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Dr Tewfik Souier (2013-2014)
- Mr Thomas Blaine (2012-2013)
- Mt Abdulla Bin Afif (2017-2018)
PhD Students (MI fellows): co-advisor
- Ibraheem Al Mansouri (2012-2016) (UNSW-Australia based)
- Khalid al Askar (2011-2015) (university of Florida, USA)
- Chowdhury (2011-2013)
- Al Bloushi (2013-2015)
- Madumelu (2013-2015)
- Al Shouq (2013-2016)
- BinAfif (2014-2016)
- Rajab (2016-2018)
- S. Obaid Al Zahmi (2016-2018)
- PhD, Condensed Matter Physics, University of Montpellier, France (1997)
- MSc, Electronics and ionics of solids, University of Montpellier, France (1993)
- BSc, Solid State Physics, Science and Technology University Houari Boumediene, Algiers, Algeria (1992)
- MEEN 225 Engineering materials (Undergraduate)
- MECH 495 Solar Photovoltaics (Undergraduate)
- MSEN 623 Electrical, optical and magnetic properties of materials (Graduate MSc)
- MSEN 624 Thermophysical properties of materials (Graduate MSc)
- MSEN 611 Photovoltaic technologies: materials, devices and systems. (Graduate MSc)
- MSEN 750 High efficiency Silicon solar cells (Graduate PhD)
- Electrical transport properties in thin films.
- Processing studies of Si based solar cells.
- Superconducting/ferromagnetic Josephson junctions
- Optical properties of thin films (glass buildings energy efficiency).
Recent Research Projects
- “In-situ monitoring of molecular sieve beds targeting life-time estimations and extensions” (Sponsor: ADNOC R&D, PI: Gougam, co-PI: Dahlem M; 2019-2022).
The aim is to research and develop an organic based sensor of humidity to be used inside the molecular sieve beds, the latter are used in the filtration of Liquid natural Gas in dehydration units.
- “Transparency-switching materials for reactive sun tracking: CPV for the roof-top market.” (Sponsor: Abu Dhabi department Education and Knowledge, PI: Gougam, co-PI: Chiesa M., 2016-2018).
To use phase switching materials to focus the sunlight in a selective manner spatially and hence tracking the sun non-mechanically. The light is then confined to a sun-light trapping concentrator for energy generation.
- “Cost effective fabrication of 3D MEMS devices using RIE and FIB techniques”. (sponsor: Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi, PI: Le Guyon, Co-PI: Gougam, 2019-2021)
To develop a novel technique to fabricate Pt based cantilevers using FIB (focused ion beam, Chemical Vapor Deposition and Reactive Ion Etching).
- “Optimization of TCO layers used as a front contact for thin film PV modules.” (Sponsor: Masdar PV GmbH, PI: Gougam, 2012-2014)
- “Fabrication, Characterization and modelling p-channel III-V MOSFET competitive with Ge p-channel MOSFET”. (Sponsor: Semiconductor Research Corporation, PI: Saadat, co-PI: Gougam, 2012-2014).
- S.V.Tamalampudi, R. Sankar, H. Apostoleris, M.A.Almahri, B. Alfakes, A. Al-Hagri, R. Li, A. Gougam, I. Al Mansouri, M. Chiesa, J.Y. Lu, “Thickness dependent resonant Raman and E’ Photoluminescence spectra of InSe and InSe/ graphene heterostructures” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 123 (2019), 15345-15353. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.9b03457
- Adel B. Gougam, Bilal Rajab, Abdulla Bin Afif, “Investigation of c-Si passivation using thermal ALD deposited HfOhttps://doi.org/10.1016/j.mssp.2019.02.012 2 films” Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing 95 (2019) 42-47.
- Joseph A. Glick, Victor Aguilar, Adel B. Gougam, Bethany M. Niedzielski, E.C. Gingrich, Reza Loloee, W.P. Pratt, Jr., and Norman O. Birge, “Phase Control in a Spin-Triplet SQUID” Science Advances 4 (2018) eaat 9457. https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.aat9457
- J Glick, A Gougam, V Aguilar, R Loloee, W Pratt, N Birge “Phase-controllable spin triplet Josephson junctions containing a synthetic antiferromagnet” Bulletin of the American Physical Society, March 2018 American Physical Society (APS) meeting.
- A. A. Al Shouq, A.B. Gougam, “Review of the interdigitated back contacted full heterojunction solar cell (IBC-SHJ): A simulation approach” (2016) Book chapter (20) in “3D Stacked chips: from emerging processes to heterogeneous systems” Ed. Springer International Publishing.
- Alamin Dow A.B., Gougam A & Kherani, N.P., Rangelow, I.W. “Single mask fabrication process for movable MEMS devices” Microsystem Technologies 20 (4-5) 2014, pp: 955-961
- Chowdhury, F.I. Blaine, T., Gougam A.B. “Optical transmission of FTO on Glass for thin film photovoltaic applications” Energy Procedia 42, 2013 pp: 660-669
- Alamin Dow A.B., Gougam A & Kherani, N.P., Rangelow, I.W. “Self-aligned single mask fabrication process for electro-thermal microactuators using ICP-RIE” Proceedings of SPIE – The International Society for Optical Engineering 8763, Smart sensors, Actuators and MEMS VI, 87632W; 2013 (DOI:10.1117/12.2015547)
- Alnemer, O & al. “Electrical characteristics of graphene wrinkles extracted by C-AFM and electrical measurements on Kelvin structures” Proceedings of the 2013 8th International Conference on Design and Technology of Integrated Systems in Nanoscale Era, DTIS 2013 6527806, pp. 182-183 (DOI: 1109/DTIS.2013).6527806)
- Dross F., & al. “Crystalline thin-foil silicon solar cells: where crystalline meets thin film processing” Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications 20(6) 2012 pp: 770-784
- Saha, J.K. & al. “Spectroscopic ellipsometry studies on hydrogenated amorphous silicon thin films deposited using DC saddle field PECVD system” Thin Solid Films 519 (9) 2011, pp. 2863-2866
- Bahardoust, B. & al. “Passivation study of the amorphous-crystalline silicon interface formed using DC saddle field glow discharge” Physica Status Solidi (A) Applications and Materials Science 207(3) 2010, pp. 539-543
- Boudjella A, Gougam A.B., Alizadeh, H. “Electron transport in molecular wires” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics 47 (6 part 2) 2008, pp: 4969-4974
- Pierre, F, Gougam A.B. & al. “Dephasing of electrons in mesoscopic metal wires” Physical Review B- Condensed Matter and Materials Physics 68(8), 2003 pp: 85413-85415
- Pierre F, Pothier H, Esteve D, Devoret M.H., Gougam A.B., Birge N.O., “Probing interactions in mesoscopic gold wires” p119-132. Chapter in “Kondo Effect and Dephasing in Low-Dimensional Metallic Systems” Ed, V.Chandrasekhar, C. Van Haesendonck and A. Zawadowski, (Kluwer, Dordrecht, 2001) (Cond-mat/0012038).
- Gougam, A.B, Pierre, F. & al. “Comparison of energy and phase relaxation in metallic wires” Journal of Low Temperature Physics 118(5-6) 2000 pp 447-456
- Gougam A.B, Sicart J, Robert, J.L, Etienne B. “Electron localization and anisotropic magnetoconductivity in GaAs-AlAs superlattices” Physical Review B-Condensed Matter and Materials Physics 59(23), 1999 pp: 15308-15311
- Gougam A.B, Gandit P, Sicart J, Robert, J.L. “Negative magnetoresistance and electron localization in GaAs-AlAs superlattices” Semiconductor Science and Technology 14(3), 1999 pp: 231-238
- Gougam A.B, Sicart J, Robert, J.L. “Negative magnetoresistance in Silicon doped GaAs-AlAs short period superlattices” Journal de Physique III 7(1), 1997 pp: 133-141
- Robert J.L., & al. “Determination of the energetical separation of DX states in GaAs and in AlAs by using planar doped superlattices” Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids 56(4) 1995 pp. 615-618