Dr. Abdallah Sofiane Berrouk
Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Ruwais Building, Room 3-008, Sas Al Nakhl Campus
Office: +971 2 607 5408
Fax: +971 2 607 5200
Dr Berrouk was awarded a PhD degree from The University of Manchester (UK) in the area of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and turbulence modeling with particular emphasis on Large Eddy Simulation of turbulent multiphase flows. He holds several master degrees: Master of Engineering in Energetics, Master of Research in Solid Mechanics and Master of Science in Oil and Gas Management.
He has twelve years of university lecturing experience; ten of them are postdoctoral. He taught different courses in different departments both at the undergraduate and graduate levels. He has supervised five Masters students, two research engineers and two Post-Doctoral Fellows.
His domain of expertise covered: Computational Fluid Dynamics, Large Eddy Simulation, stochastic Modeling for Particle-laden Turbulent Flows, and Computational Flow Modeling for Chemical Reactor Engineering. He recently developed expertise towards sour gas sweetening, heavy oil processing and waste plastic gasification technologies. He has been the leader of three industrial projects and co-principal investigator of other three industrial projects.
During his academic career, He has published two books, three book chapters and more than 100 papers on his ongoing research work in peer-reviewed international journals, industrial magazines, and conference proceedings. He is an editorial board member of the American Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Rheology, International Journal of Petro-chemistry and Research, Petroleum & Petrochemical Engineering Journal, and Open Fuels & Energy Science Journal
He was a member of the technical committee of ADNOC Gas Sub-committee (GSC) (2011-2016), a member of the technical committee of ADIPEC Gas Theme (2013, 2017-2018) and ADIPEC People & Talent Theme (2014-2016), a member of the technical committee of TRC/JCCP/Idemitsu Annual Symposium (2015-2017) and Member of ADNOC Task Force on evaluating Rotatory Back Bed Technology (2015)
He is recipient of many awards: Algerian Government Award (2001), Worldwide University Network Award (2005), Manchester Science Enterprise (2006), ADNOC R&D Bright Finding & Integration Research Pen Award for outstanding deliverables researchers (2013), ADNOC R&D General Management Committee Award for outstanding technical support (2013 and 2014), ADNOC R&D Book of Wisdom Award– Completed research Project Members (2014), and ADNOC R&D Science Lantern Faculty Award – Faculties who worked or supported ADNOC R&D Projects (2014)
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK (2003-2007)
- M.S. Hydrocarbon Enterprise, Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK (2002–2003)
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Boumerdes, Boumerdes, Algeria (1990–1995)
- Computational Methods and Numerical Analysis
- Fluid Dynamics
- Design of Experimentation
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Multiphase Flows
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Turbulence modeling
- Multiphase flows
- Process simulation, optimization and modelling
- Gas Processing
- A. S. Berrouk, “Stochastic Lagrangian modelling for large eddy simulation of turbulent dilute two-phase flows” Bentham Publisher, ISBN: 978-1-60805-377-3, 2011.
- Y. Kahil, D. Laurence, and A. S. Berrouk, “Depot d’aerosols dans les conduites coudees a 90: Suivi de particules dans un ecoulement turbulent avec approache Lagrangienne,” Editions Universitaires Europeennes, ISBN: 978-613-1-52359-5, 2010.
- C.L. Wu, and A. S. Berrouk, “Discrete Particle Model for Dense Gas-solid Flows”, in Advances in Multiphase Flow and Heat Transfer, Bentham Science Publishers Vol. 3, Editors: Lixin Cheng and Dieter Mewes, 2012.
- C.L. Wu, and A. S. Berrouk, “Particle Collision Handling for Hard-Sphere Discretre Particle Model”, in Powder Engineering: Technology and Application Vol. 1, NOVA Science Publishers, Editor: Jason Barker, 2010.
- A. S. Berrouk, D. Laurence, J. J. Riley, D. E. Stock, “Stochastic modelling of fluid velocity seen by heavy particles for two-phase LES of non-homogeneous and anisotropic turbulent flows”, in Particle-Laden Flow: From Geophysical to Kolmogorov Scales Vol. 11, SPRINGER Publishers, Editors: B. Geurts, H. Clercx, W. Uijttewaal, 2007.
Articles in Refereed Journals
Articles in Refereed Journals (2014-2019)
- A. Murali, A. S. Berrouk, D. Satyadileep, Y. F. AlWahedi, S. A. Adegunju, H. S. Abdulla, A. K. Das, N. Yousif, M. Al Hosani, “Efficiency Enhancement of a Commercial Natural Gas Liquid Recovery Plant: A MINLP Optimization Analysis”, Separation Science and Technology, 2019, accepted
- Y. Kahil, S. Benhamadouche, A. S. Berrouk, I. Afgan, “Simulation of subcritical-Reynolds-numbers flow around four cylinders in square arrangement configuration using LES”, European Journal of Mechanics- B: Fluids, Vol 74, Issue 2, 2019, pp. 111-122
- S. Dara, A. A. AlHammadi, A. S. Berrouk, F. Al Khasawneh, A. Al Shaiba, Y. F. AlWahedi, “Carbon Footprint Reduction of Acid Gas Enrichment Units in Hot Climates: A Techno-Economic Simulation Study”, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol 201, 2018, pp. 974-987
- S. Bale, M. Sathe, S. Tiwari, A. S. Berrouk, K. Nandakumar, J. Joshi, “Direct Numerical Simulation Study of End Effects and D/d Ratio on Mass Transfer in Packed Beds”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 127, Part B, 2018, pp. 234-244
- D. Satyadileep, A. S. Berrouk, Y. Al Wahedi, S. Leyland, A. Andrade, D. Georgis, A.S. El Nasr, F. Geuzebroek, “Advanced Model-Based Optimization of a Commercial Natural Gas Liquid Recovery Unit”, Computer Aided Chemical Engineering, Vol 44, 2018, pp. 775-780
- S. A. Adegunju, M. Awad, A. S. Berrouk, D. Satyadileep, “Tackling increased CO2 concentration in feeds for existing acid gas removal units: a simulation study”, Separation Science and Technology, Vol 53, Issue 13, 2018, pp. 2004-2015
- H. Bouyahiaoui, A, Azzi, A Zeghloul, A Hasan, A. S. Berrouk, “Experimental investigation of a vertically downward two-phase air-water slug flow”, J. of Petro. Sci. and Eng., Vol 162, 2018, pp. 12-21
- L. Aguedal, D. Semmar, S. Berrouk, A. Azzi, H. Oualli, “3D vortex structure investigation using large eddy simulation of flow around a rotary oscillating circular cylinder”, European Journal of Mechanics- B: Fluids, Vol 71, Issue 5, 2018, pp. 113-125
- A. S. Berrouk, A. Huang, S. Bale, P. Thampi, K. Nandakumar, “Numerical simulation of a commercial FCC regenerator using Multiphase Particle-in-Cell methodology (MP-PIC)”, Advanced Powder Technology Vol. 28, 2017, pp. 2947-2960
- A. S. Berrouk, C. Pornsilph, S. Bale, Y. Du, K. Nandakumar, ”Simulation of a Commercial FCC Riser using a Combination of MP-PIC and 4-Lump Oil-Cracking Kinetic Models”, Energy & Fuels Vol. 31, 2017, pp. 4758-4770
- S. Bale, K. Clavin, M. Sathe, A. S. Berrouk, F. Carl Knopf, K. Nandakumar, “Mixing in Oscillating Column: Experimental and Numerical studies”,Chemical Engineering Science Vol. 168, 2017, pp. 78-89
- S. Bale, M. Sathe, O. Ayeni, A. S. Berrouk, J. Joshi, K. Nandakumar, “Spatially resolved Mass Transfer coefficient for Moderate Reynolds Number flows in Packed Beds: Wall Effects”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 110, 2017, pp. 406-415
- D. Satyadileep, A. S. Berrouk, “Computer-based Optimization of Acid Gas Removal Unit using Modified CO2 Absorption Kinetic Models”, Int. J. of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 59, 2017, pp. 172-183
- Q. Yang, A. S. Berrouk, Y. Du, H. Zhao, C. Yang, M. Abdur Rakib, A. Mohamed, A. Taher, “CFD investigation of hydrodynamics, heat transfer and cracking reactions in a large-scale fluidized catalytic cracking riser”, Applied Mathematical Modelling Vol. 40, 2016, pp. 9378-9397
- R. Adewale, Dalia J. Salem, A. S. Berrouk, D. Satyadileep. “Simulation of Hydrogen Production from Thermal Decomposition of Hydrogen Sulfide in Sulfur Recovery Units”, Journal of Cleaner Production Vol. 112(5), 2016, pp. 4815-4825
- Z.Y. Yu, C.L. Wu, A. S. Berrouk, K. Nandakumar. “Discrete particle modelling of granular Rayleigh-Taylor instability”, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, Vol. 77, 2015, pp. 260-270
- M. T. Mota Martinez, S. Samdani, A. S. Berrouk, M. A. A. Rocha, E. Y. Alhseinat, F. Banat, M. C. Kroon, C. J. Peters. “Design and Test of a New High Pressure Phase Equilibrium Apparatus for Highly Corrosive mixtures of importance for Natural Gas”, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering Vol. 27(2), 2015, pp. 661-665
- R. Adewale, A. S. Berrouk, D. Satyadileep. “A Process Simulation Study of Hydrogen and Sulfur Production from Hydrogen Sulfide using the Fe-Cl hybrid Process”, Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, Vol. 54, 2015, pp. 20-27
- M. Althuluth, J. P. Overbeek, H. J. van Wees, L. F. Zubeir, W. G. Haije, A. S. Berrouk,M. Kroon, C. J Peters, “Natural Gas Purification Using Supported Ionic Liquid Membrane ” Journal of Membrane Science, vol. 484, pp. 80-86, 2015
- D. Satyadileep, A. S. Berrouk, “Effect of residence time on selective H2S absorption on MDEA systems,” International Journal of Process Systems Engineering, vol. 2(3), pp. 260-272, 2014.
- Y. Du, Q. Yang, A.S. Berrouk, C. Yang, A. Al Shoaibi, “An Equivalent Reactor Network model for simulating the air gasification of polyethylene in a Spouted Bed Gasifier,” Energy & Fuels, vol. 28(11), pp. 6830-6840, 2014.
- A. S. Berrouk, Richard Ochieng, “Improved Performance of the Natural-Gas-Sweetening Benfield-HiPure Process Using Process Simulation,” Fuel Processing Technology, vol. 127, pp. 20-25, 2014
- C. L. Wu, O. PH. Ayeni, A. S.Berrouk, K. Nandakumar, “Parallel Algorithm of CFD-DEM Coupling Model for Large Scale Dense Particulate Flows,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 118, pp. 221-244, 2014.
- M. T. Mota-Martinez, S. Samdani, A. S. Berrouk, M.C. Kroon, C.J. Peters, “Effect of additives on the CO2 absorption in aqueous MDEA solutions”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 53, Issue 51, 2014, pp.20032-20035
- Y. Du, Q. Yang, A. S. Berrouk, Y. Chaohe, A. Al Shoaibi, “An Equivalent Reactor Network model for simulating the air gasification of polyethylene in a Spouted Bed Gasifier”, Energy & Fuels Vol. 28, Issue 11, 2014, pp.6830-6840
- M. Althuluth, A. Berrouk, M.C. Kroon, C.J. Peters, “Modeling Gas Solubilities in the Ionic Liquid 1-Ethyl-3-methylimidazolium Tris(pentafluoroethyl) trifluorophosphate Using the Peng-Robinson Equation of State”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 53, Issue 29, 2014, pp.11818-11821
- M. Althuluth, M. T. Mota-Martinez, A. S. Berrouk, Maaike C. Kroon, C. J. Peters, “Removal of Small Hydrocarbons (Ethane, Propane, Butane) from Natural Gas Streams using the Ionic Liquid 1-Ethyl-3 –methylimidazolium Tris(pentafluoroethyl) trifluorophosphate”, Journal of Supercritical Fluids, Vol. 90, 2014, pp. 65-72
- M. T. Mota-Martinez, M. Althuluth, A. S. Berrouk, M. C. Kroon, C. J. Peters, “High pressure phase equilibria of binary mixtures of light hydrocarbons and the ionic liquid 1-hexyl-3-methylimidazolium tetracyanoborate”, Fluid Phase Equilibria, Vol. 362, 2014, pp. 96-101.
Articles in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- J. Peng, A. S. Berrouk, “Numerical modelling of hydrate slurry flow in pipelines “, XXIX Inter-American Congress of Chemical Engineering & 68th Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference (CSChE2018), 28-31 October 2018, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- S. Dara, A. S. Berrouk, Y. Al Wahedi, S. Leyland, A. Andrade, D. Georgis, A.S. El Nasr, F. Geuzebroek , “Natural Gas Liquid Recovery Unit Optimization using gproms”, Advanced Process Modelling Forum, 10-11 October 2018, Houston, Texas, USA
- D. Satyadileep, A. S. Berrouk, Y. Al Wahidi, “Advanced Model-Based Optimization of a Commercial Natural Gas Liquid Recovery Unit”, Process System Engineering, PSE2018, 1-4 July 2018, San Diego, California, USA
- S. Bale, K. Clavin, M. Sathe, A. S. Berrouk, F. C. Knopf, K. Nandakumar, “Experimental and Numerical Studies of Mixing in Oscillating Columns”, World Congress on Chemical Engineering, Barcelona, Spain, 2017
- D. Satyadileep, A. S. Berrouk, “Use of Split-flow Method to Reduce the Duty Required for Amine Regeneration in Gas Sweetening Units”, XVIII International Conference on Chemical Engineering and Technology, Tokyo, Japan, 2016
- A. S. Berrouk, D. Satyadileep, “Optimization of a Commercial Acid Gas Recovery Unit”, 5th International Gas Processing Symposium, November 2016, Doha, Qatar
- D. Satyadileep Dara, A. S. Berrouk, A. A. Aziz, “Amine-sweetening Units’ Efficiency Improvement Based on a Fine Tuned Acid-gas-stripping Chemistry”, 98th Canadian Chemistry Society Conference and Exhibition, , Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, 2015
- D. Satyadileep and A. S. Berrouk, “Effects of Residence Time on Selective Absorption of Hydrogen Sulphide”, XIII International Conference on Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Paris, France, 2015
- M. T. M. Martinez, A. S. Berrouk, M. C. Kroon, Cornelis J. Peters,“Gas Separation Using Ionic Liquids: A Modeling Study”, AIChE Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 2014.
- Y. Du, A. S. Berrouk, „CFD and Process Simulations of air gasification of plastic wastes in a conical spouted bed gasifier“, 2nd World Congress on Petrochemistry and Chemical Engineering, Las Vegas, NV, USA. 2014
- S. Dara,A. S. Berrouk, ” Process simulation-based optimization of a commercial amine gas sweetening unit,” in The 2nd World Congress on Petrochemistry and Chemical Engineering, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA., 2014.
- P. Thampi, A. S. Berrouk, ” Numerical simulation of a real scale FCC Regenerator using Computational Particle-Fluid Dynamics (CPFD),” The 7th World Congress on Particle technology, 19-22 May 2014, Beijing, China PR
- Y. Qi, H. Zhao, A. S. Berrouk, “Numerical simulation of the fluidized catalytic cracking riser reactor“, The 7th World Congress on Particle technology, 19-22 May 2014, Beijing, China PR
- R. A. Adewale, D. Satyadileep, A. S. Berrouk, “A Process Simulation Study on the Pyrolysis of Hydrogen Sulfide to Produce Hydrogen and Sulfur“, International Conference on Modeling and Simulation, 16-17 June 2014. Toronto, Canada
- M. T. M. Martinez, A. S. Berrouk, M. C. Kroon, C. J. Peters, „Are Ionic Liquids an alternative for gas sweetening?”, AIChE Annual Meeting, 3-8 November 2013, San Francisco, CA, USA
- A. S. Berrouk, C.L. Wu, “Parallel CFD/DPM calculations for dense particulate systems,” in 6th International Granulation Conference, Sheffield, UK, 2013.
- W. A. Fouad, A. S.Berrouk, ” Phase Equilibria of Sour Natural Gas Systems: A Molecular Approach,” in 9th European Congress of Chemical Engineering, The Hague, The Netherlands, 2013.
- H. Zhao, A. S. Berrouk, R. Hu, C. Yang, ” Coupled Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer Analysis of a firebox of a Crude Distillation Unit,” in International Conference on Modelling Fluid Flow, Budapest, Hungary, 2012.
- R. Ochieng, A. S. Berrouk, C. J. Peters, P. E. Krouskop, L.G. Lyddon, J. Slagle, „Optimization of ADGAS Gas Sweetening Benfield – HiPure Process“, Gas Processors Association Europe Annual Meeting, 23-25 May 2012, Berlin, Germany
- D. Jia, H. Zhao, A. S. Berrouk, A. Koudil, „Numerical study of the disengager and stripper performances in FCC reactors“, International conference on Multiphase Flows and Transport Phenomena, 22-25 April 2012, Agadir, Morocco.
- C. Gutierrez, B.R. Palmer, A. S. Berrouk, C. J. Peters., „Rate Phenomena in the Reaction of Hydrogen Sulfide with a Pelletized Zinc Oxide–Based Sorbent“, AIChE Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, USA. 17-21 October 2011.
- A. S. Berrouk, H. Zhao, “Simulation of Hydrodynamics and cracking reactions of TMP riser feed mixing section“, AIChE Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, USA. 17-21 October 2011.
- A. S. Berrouk, Dominique Laurence, “Stochastic large eddy simulation of bluff-body two-way-coupled gas-particle turbulent flow“, ASME/JSME/KSME Joint Fluids Engineering Conference, Hamamatsu, Japan, July 2011
- W. A. Fouad, A. S. Berrouk, C. J. Peters,”On Mixing Tertiary Amines for Gas Purification”, International Conference on Oil, Gas and Petrochemical Engineering, Amsterdam, Netherlands. July 2011,
- C. L. Wu, A. S. Berrouk, K. Nandakumar, “On the efficiency of discrete particle modeling of gas-solid fluidized bed reactor”, International Conference on Chemical, Biological & Environmental Engineering, Singapore, October 2009
- A. S. Berrouk, A. Douce, D. Laurence, J. J. Riley, D. E. Stock, “RANS and LES of particle dispersion in turbulent pipe flow: Simulations versus experimental results” Keynote, ASME Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting 2006, Miami FL, July 2006
- A. S. Berrouk, D. Laurence, J. J. Riley, D. E. Stock, ”Stochastic modelling of fluid velocity seen by heavy particles for two-phase LES of non-homogeneous and anisotropic turbulent flows”, International Conference on Particle-Laden Flow, Twenty, Netherland, June 2006
- A. S. Berrouk,“Numerical Simulation of Hydrate Formation and Transport in Natural Gas Pipelines”, presented at 3rd Middle East Oil & Gas Training and Simulation Forum, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 2016
- A. S. Berrouk, “Enabling Process optimization through Computation: industrial case-studies” BIRS-EPIC Workshop, Banff, Calgary, Canada, 2016
- A. S. Berrouk, “Advanced steady-state and dynamic modelling and optimization of Natural Gas Liquid Recovery units”, PSE Advanced Process Modelling Forum, London, UK, 2017
- A. S. Berrouk, “Hydrogen Production from Hydrogen Sulfide: an Efficient Low Temperature Hybrid Process”, British Council Science Collaboration Symposium on Clean & Renewable Energy, Al Ain, UAE, 2017
- A. S. Berrouk, “Accidental Oil Spill Modelling,” presented at the International Oil & Gas Summit: Continental and Arctic Shelves, Dubai, UAE, 2015.
- A. S. Berrouk, ” Empowering Chemical Process Industry with a Cutting Edge Simulation Technology: Computational Fluid Dynamics,” presented at 3rd Global O&G Training & Simulation Forum, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E, 2015.
- A. S. Berrouk, “Multi-scale modelling of dense particulate systems,” presented at 2nd Annual TAKREER-Idemitsu-Kosan Technical Workshop, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E., 2013.