Dr. Toufic Mezher
Professor and Associate Chair of Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Toufic Mezher is a Professor of Engineering Systems and Management at Khalifa University of Science and Technology (KUST) since 2017. Before Joining KUST, he was a Professor of Engineering Systems and Management at Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (2008-2016) and Professor of Engineering Management at the American University in Beirut from 1992 to 2007. He earned a BS in Civil Engineering from University of Florida, and a Master and ScD in Engineering Management from George Washington University in 1988 and 1992 respectively. Energy Strategy and Policy; Technology Strategy, Entrepreneurship and Innovation; Sustainable Development; Cybersecurity Policy; Business Analytics, Data Intelligence, and Knowledge Management; and Sustainable Construction.
Address: Abu Dhabi UAE
Telephone: +971-2-810 9160
- BS in Civil Engineering from University of Florida, and a Master and ScD in Engineering Management from George Washington University in 1988 and 1992 respectively
- ESMA607 Management & Entrepreneurship for Engineers
- ESMA618 Management of Technology and Innovation
- ESMA711 Technology Strategy
- ESMA708 Sustainable Development: Theory and Policy
- Research projects:
- Analysis of the Existing Development Strategies in UAE from Water-Energy-Food (WEF) Nexus Perspectives to Enhance the Policy Decision Making Process.
- Building an Optimization Model for Water-Energy Nexus for the Abu Dhabi Emirate: Economic & Environmental Perspectives.
- Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Market Analysis Potential for UAE
- Using Data mining Techniques to Analyze Historical Trends in Renewable Energy Technologies and Policies in the IRENA/IEA Graph Database
Energy Strategy and Policy; Technology Strategy, Entrepreneurship and Innovation; Sustainable Development; Cybersecurity Policy; Business Analytics, Data Intelligence, and Knowledge Management; and Sustainable Construction.
- Choucri N., Mezher T., Haghseta F., Baker W.R., Ortiz C., and Mistree, D. (Eds). Mapping Sustainability: Knowledge e-Networking and the Value Chain, Alliance for Global Sustainability Book series, Vol. 11, 2007, ISBN: 978-1-4020-6070-0, Springer.
- Muzhikyan, A., Mezher, T., and Farid AM. Power System Enterprise Control with Inertial Response Procurement, Accepted for publication at IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2017.2782085.
- Al Jeaidi, A., Mezher, T. The Sustainable Development Practices of the Insurance Industry in UAE. Forthcoming in International Journal of Sustainable Society, 2017.
- Mondal, A, and Mezher, T., Application of energy optimization models to design sustainable energy system: A review, Engineering Journal of Application & Scopes, 2(1), 1-8, 2017.
- Almazrouei M., Asad A., Abu Zahra M., Mezher T., Tsai, I. (2017) ,“CO2-Enhanced Oil Recovery System Optimization for Contract-Based versus Integrated Operations” Energy Procedia 105: 4357-4362.
- Al Awadhi, S. Abbas, Z., Mezher, T., Dawelbait, G., Tsai, I., and Al-Hosany, N. Analyzing Sustainable Development Impacts of Large-Scale Clean Development Mechanism Projects on Host Countries. Int. J. of Thermal & Environmental Engineering, 14 (2), 153-161, 2017.
- Mezher, T., Dawelbait, G., Tsai, I., and Al-Hosany, N. Building Eco-Cities of the Future: The Example of Masdar City. Int. J. of Thermal & Environmental Engineering, 12 (1), 1-8, 2016.
- Mezher, T., El Khatib, S., and Sooriyaarachchi, T.H. Cyberattacks on Critical Infrastructure and Potential Sustainable Development Impacts. International Journal of Cyber Warfare and Terrorism, 5(3), 1-19, July-September 2015.
- Sooriyaarachchi, T.H., Tsai, I., El Khatib, S., Farid, A., and Mezher, T. Job Creation Potentials and Skill Requirements in, PV, CSP, Wind, Water-to-Energy and Energy Efficiency Value Chains Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 52, pp. 653-668, December 2015.
- Saif, O, Mezher, T., Arafat, H. Water security in the GCC countries: Challenges and opportunities. J Environ Stud Sci, Vol. 4, pp. 329–346, 2014. (DOI: 10.1007/s13412-014-0178-8).
- Kaya, A., Mezher, T., Tsai, I. Firms’ Perspective on Technology Relatedness and Adaptation: A Survey on Renewable Energy Firms, International Journal of Trade, Economics and Finance, Vol. 5, No. 5, October 2014.
- Lin, Y., Griffiths, S., Tsai, I., and Mezher, T. Technology Strategy in the Solar and Wind Renewable Energy Industries, Engineering Management Reviews Journal, Vol. 3, pp. 1-22, 2014.
- Kapsalyamova1, Z., Mezher, T., Al Hosany, N., and Tsai, I. Are Low Carbon Cities Attractive to Clean tech Firms? Empirical Evidence from a Survey, Sustainable Cities and Society, Vol.13, Pages 125-138, 2014.
- Hawila, D., Kennedy, S. Mondal, A, and Mezher, T., Renewable Energy Readiness Assessment for North African Countries, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 33, pp. 128–140, 2014.
- Mondal, A., Kennedy, S., and Mezher, T., Long-term optimization of United Arab Emirates energy future: Policy implications, Applied Energy, Vol.114, 466-474, 2014.
- Mezher, T., Tabbara, S., and Al Hosany, N. An Overview of CSR in the Renewable Energy Sector: Examples from Masdar Initiative in Abu Dhabi. Management of Environmental Quality, v 21, n6, pp. 744 – 760, 2010.
- Chaaban, F., Mezher, T., Ouwayjan, M., “Options for Emission Reduction from Power Plants-Economic Evaluation.” International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, v26, n1, 2004, Pages 57-63.
- Hawila, D., Kennedy, S. Mondal, A, and Mezher, T. The GCC countries RE-readiness: Strengths and gaps for development of renewable energy technologies. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 54, pp. 1114-1128, 2016.
- Mezher, T., Griffiths, S., Abu Zahra, M. and Abbas, Z., Outlook for a Power Generation Fuel Transition in the MENA Region. Journal of Energy Engineering. Vol. 141, No.3, pp. 040140261-11, 2015. (DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EY.1943-7897.0000204).
- Al Abd, Y. and Mezher, T., Toward Building a National Innovation System in UAE, Int. J. of Thermal & Environmental Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 109-124, 2014.
- Mondal, A., Mezher, T., Deployment of renewable energy technologies in Bangladesh: Long-term policy implications in power sector, Energy Strategy Reviews, Vol. 2, pp. 307-312, 2014.
- Nurrokhmah, L., Mezher, T., and Abu-Zahra, Evaluation of Handling and Reuse Approaches for the Waste Generated from MEA-based CO2 Capture with the Consideration of Regulations in the UAE. Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 47, pp. 13644–13651, 2013.
- Abbas, Z., Mezher, T., and Abu-Zahra, M.R.M., CO2 Purification Part II: Techno-Economic Evaluation of Oxygen and Water Deep Removal Processes. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 16, pp. 335–341, 2013.
- Abbas, Z., Mezher, T., and Abu-Zahra, M.R.M. CO2 Purification Part I: Purification Requirement Review and the Selection of Impurities Deep Removal Technologies. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 16, pp. 324–334, 2013.
- Ferroukhi, R., Hawila, D., Ghazal, N., and Mezher, T., Renewable energy in the GCC: Status and Challenges, International Journal of Energy Sector Management, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 84-112, 2013.
- Fath H., Sadik, A., and Mezher, T., Present and Future Trend in the Production and Energy Consumption of Desalinated Water in GCC Countries, Int. J. of Thermal & Environmental Engineering, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 155-165, 2013.
- Mezher, T., Dawelbait, G., Abbas, Z. Renewable energy policy options for Abu Dhabi: drivers and barriers, Energy Policy Journal, Vol. 42, pp. 315–328, 2012.
- Mezher, T., Goldsmith, D., and Choucri, N. Renewable Energy in Abu Dhabi: Opportunities and Challenges, ASCE Journal of Energy Engineering, Vol.137, No.4, pp. 169-176, 2011.
- Henschel, A., Dawelbait, G., Mezher, T., and Woon, W.L. “Forecasting Renewable Energy Technologies in Desalination and Power Generation using Taxonomies,” Journal of Social Ecology and Sustainable Development, v2, n3, pp. 79-93, 2011.
- Mezher, T., Building Future Sustainable Cities: The Need for a New Mindset, Construction Innovation, v11, n2, pp 136-141, 2011.
- Mezher, T, Fath, H., Abbas, Z. and Khaled, A. Techno-economic Assessment and Environmental Impacts of Desalination Technologies, Desalination Journal, v266, n1-3, pp. 263-273, 2011.
- Mezher, T., Noamani, D., Abdul-Malak, M.A., and Maddah, B. Analyzing Sustainability Knowledge in the Arab World. Sustainable Development, 19, 402–416, 2011.
- Choucri, N., Goldsmith, D., and Mezher, T. Renewable Energy Policy in an Oil-Exporting Country: The Case of the United Arab Emirates. Renewable Energy Law and Policy Review, v1, n1, pp. 77-86, 2010.
- Ajam, M., Alshawi, M., and Mezher, T. Augmented Process Model for e-Tendering: Towards Integrating Object Models with Document Management Systems. Automation in Construction, 19, pp. 762–778, 2010.
- Mezher, T., Abdul-Malak, A., Khaled, M. Toward Building A Knowledge Management System in A Design Firm: The Case of XYZ Firm. Journal of Cases on Information Technology (JCIT), v 11, n3, pp. 1-17, 2009.
- Mezher, T., Nassrallah, W., Alameddine, A., “Management of Technological Innovation in the Lebanese Industry,” Int. J. Arab Culture, Management and Sustainable Development, v1, n1, pp. 5-22, 2008.
- El-Souda, R., Mezher, T., Nassrallah, W., Ajam, M., “Entrepreneurship in Lebanon: A Model for Successes and Failures,” Int. J. Arab Culture, Management and Sustainable Development, v1, n1, pp. 34-52, 2008.
- Jamali, D., Mezher, T., and Bitar, H., “Corporate social responsibility and the challenge of triple bottom line integration: insights from the Lebanese context,” International Journal of Environment and Sustainable Development (IJESD), v5, n4, pp. 395 – 414, 2006.
- Majdalani, Z., Ajam, M., and Mezher, T., “Sustainable Construction in Lebanon,” Construction Innovation, v6, n1, pp. 33-46, 2006.
- Mezher, T., Abdul-Malak, M.A., Ghosn, I., and Ajam, M. “Knowledge Management in Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Consulting: A Case Study,” Journal of Management in Engineering, ASCE, v21, n3, pp. 138-147, July 2005.
- Chaaban, F, Karaki, S., Chedid, R., Mezher, T., Hamzeh, A., Yahya, A., and Harb, A., “Electric Energy Access in Developing Nations: Case Studies from Lebanon, Jordan, and Syria,” World Resources Review, vol.17, No.3, pp: 410-428, 2005.
- Mezher, T., Ajam, M., and Shehab, M., “The Historical Impact of ISO 9000 On Lebanese Firms,” Quality Assurance Journal, v11, n1, pp. 25-42, 2004.
- Mezher, T. Abdul-Malak, M.A., Arnaout S., Bassil, Z., Public Projects Programming System (3PS): A Decision Support System for Public Sector Investment. Journal of Construction Innovation, v4, n2, pp. 99-111, 2004.
- El-Fadel M., Chahine M. Baaj H. and Mezher T. “Assessment of Noise Impacts at Airports.” International Journal of Environmental Studies, v59, n4, 2002, pp. 447- 467.
- Mezher, T., Jamali, D.,and Zreik, C., “The Role of Financial Institutions in the Sustainable Development of Lebanon,” Sustainable Development, v10, n2, 2002, pp. 69-78.
- El-Fadel M., Zeinati M., Ghaddar N., and Mezher T., “Uncertainty in Estimating and Mitigating Industrial Related GHG Emissions.” Energy Policy, 29, 1031-1043, 2001.
- Mezher, T., “The Transformation of Lebanese Firms From ISO 9000 Certified To TQM,” Quality Assurance Journal, v8, n1, 2000, pp.37-56.
- Mezher, T. and Zreik, C., “Current Environmental Management Practices in the Lebanese Manufacturing Sector,” Eco-Management and Auditing Journal, v7, n3 September 2000, pp. 131-142.
- Mezher, T. “Strategies for Industrial and Technological Development of Middle Eastern Countries.” International Journal of Environmental Studies, v57, n5, 2000, pp. 543 – 562.
- Mezher, T., Abdul-Malak, M.A., and Medawar, H., “Applying Total Quality Management Techniques to Improve Software Development.” Quality Assurance Journal, v6, n3, 1999, pp.149-164.
- Mezher, T. and Ramadan, H., “The Costs and Benefits of Getting the ISO 9000 Certification in the Manufacturing Sector in Saudi Arabia.” Quality Assurance Journal, v6, n2, 1999, pp. 107-122.
- Ghaddar, N, Mezher, T., “Modeling of Current and Future Energy Intensity and Green House Gas Emissions of the Lebanese Industrial Sector: Assessment of Mitigation Options”, Applied Energy Journal, v63, n1, June 1999, pp. 53-74.
- Chedid, R., Mezher, T., Jarroush, C., “Energy Resource Allocation Using Fuzzy Linear Programming.” International Journal of Energy Research, v23, n4, 1999, pp. 303-317.
- Mezher, T., Abdul-Malak, M.A. and Dayya, M. “Decision Support System for Managing Infrastructure Telecommunication Projects.” Management in Engineering Journal, ASCE, v15, n1, 1999, pp. 74-81.
- Mezher, T., Chedid, R., Zahabi, W., “Energy Resource Allocation Using Multiobjective Goal Programming: The Case of Lebanon”, Applied Energy Journal, v61, n4, December 1998, pp. 175-192.
- Mezher, T., Abdul-Malak, M.A. and Maarouf, B. “Embedding Critics in Decision Making Environments to Reduce Human Errors.” Knowledge-Based Systems, v11, n3, November1998, pp. 229-237.
- Mezher, T., Tawil, W. “Causes of Delays in the Construction Industry.” Engineering Construction and Architecture Management Journal, v5, n3, September 1998, pp. 252-260.
- Mezher, T., Abdul-Malak, M.A. and Mokahal, M. “A Heuristic Rule-Based Procedure for Identifying Obstacle to the Diffusion of Construction Technologies.” International Journal of ConstructionInformation Technology, v6, n1, July 1998, pp. 25-46.
- Silverman, B.G. and Mezher T. “A Study of Strategies for Computerized Critiquing of Programmers.” Empirical Software Engineering, Kluwer Academic Publishers, v2, n4, 1997, 339-60.
- Mezher, T. “Sustainable Development Strategies for Lebanon.” Sustainable Development, John Wiley,v5, n2, 1997, 55-64.
- Mezher, T. “Using Expert Critiquing Systems in Engineering Education and Training,” Computers in Education Journal, ASEE, v6, n2, 1996, 43-49.
- Abdul-Malak, M.A., Mezher, T. and Murphree, L.E. “Decision Support System Framework for Construction Technology Transfer and Diffusion,” Transportation Research Record 1491, Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, 1995, 49-61.
- Mezher, T. “Energy Expenditure in the Human Body”, Sci-Quest Magazine, v4, n3, August 1994.
- Hieb, M., Silverman, B.G. and Mezher T. “Rule Acquisition For Dynamic Engineering Domains”, Heuristics, v5, n3, 1992, 72-82.
- Silverman, B.G. and Mezher T. “Expert Critics in Engineering Design: Lessons Learned and Research Needs”, AI Magazine, v13, n1, 1992, 45-62.
- A. Al Bloushi, A. Giwa, T. Mezher, S.W. Hasan, “Environmental Impact and Techno-Economic Analysis of Hybrid MSF/RO Desalination: The Case Study Al Taweelah A2 Plant,” In Sustainable Desalination Handbook: Process Design and Implementation Strategies, Elsevier, Forthcoming, 2017.
- Kaya A., Choucri N., Tsai I., Mezher T. (2017), “Energy consumption and transition dynamics to a sustainable future under a rentier economy The case of the GCC states,” in Sustainability in the Gulf: Challenges and Opportunities, Routledge.
- Kiani, A., Mezher, T. Griffiths, S., and El Khatib, S., Potential Impact of Methane Hydrate Development on GCC and NEA Energy Trade, in Energy Relations and Policy Making in Asia, Editor: Lester, L., Springer, 2016, pp. 31-51, DOI 10.1007/978-981-10-1094-1_3.
- Mezher, T., Ajam, M., Integrating Quality, Environmental, and Supply Chain Management Systems into the Learning Organization, in Greening the Supply Chain, Editors: J. Sarkis and P. Rao, Springer Publishing, 2006, pp. 67-85.
- Mezher, T., Park, J., Meeting the Renewable Energy and Sustainability Challenges in GCC Economies: Masdar Initiative Case Study in The GCC Economies, Part 2, Springer, pp. 69-84, 2012.
- Mezher, T., El Fadel, M., Farkouh, W., “Towards Corporate Social Responsibility: The Pulp and Paper Industry in Lebanon,” in Corporate Social Responsibility: Extended Responsibility of Supply Chains. Reddy, S. Editor, ICFAI Books, pp. 121-160, 2004.
- Mezher, T., “Sustainable Manufacturing in Lebanon,” in Greener Manufacturing and Operations: From Design to Delivery and Back, ed. Joe Sarkis, Greenleaf Publishing, December 2001, pp. 121-135 (Invited).
- Ghaddar, N, and Mezher, T., “Environmental and Economic Assessment of Mitigation Options for Greenhouse Gas Emissions in the Lebanese Industrial Sector,” in Combustion Technologies for a Clean Environment Vol. 5, ed. Scott Samuelsen, Gordon and Breach Publishers, 2001.