Dr. Sgouris Sgouridis
Associate Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering Department
Dr. Sgouridis is an associate professor of Engineering Systems and Management at Masdar Institute, Khalifa University. He is focused on investigating the conditions for facilitating a complete transition to renewable energy or Sustainable Energy Transition (SET). He works with energy, transportation, and economic models in order address questions related to making the energy transition a reality. Dr. Sgouridis co-developed a concept of energy currency, Ergo, and was instrumental in establishing the Sustainable Bioenergy Research Consortium. He served as head of the Institute Center for Smart and Sustainable Systems (2013-2014). For the Zayed Future Energy Prize (ZFEP) he has been actively contributing as a member and previous chair of the review committee for years 2010-2017. He is also involved as a member of the jury for the MIT Climate Colab competitions from 2014-present. Prior to his role at MI, Dr. Sgouridis supported governmental and private organizations including the U.S. Department of Transportation, the Port Authority of Thessaloniki, and the Hellenic Army. At MIT he obtained a PhD in Engineering Systems, and a dual MSc in Technology and Policy and Transportation. He holds a BS (Hons.) in Civil & Environmental Engineering from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
Address: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Telephone: +971-2-810 9156
- ESMA 604/ESM504 System Dynamics
- ISYE 441 Advanced Simulation
- UCC 501 Sustainable Energy
- Energy modeling
- Simulation modeling (esp. systems dynamics and Agent-based Simulation)
- Policy analysis
Ongoing Research projects
- “Optimal Large-scale Deployment of Renewable Energy Systems for the UAE Electricity sector” with Abdulrahman Al Zaabi
- “Optimizing the Production of Ammonia as an Energy Carrier in the UAE” with Ola Osman
- “Performance Simulation of UAE Office Buildings as Islanded-systems using PV, battery and thermal storage”
- “Carbon Capture and Storage vs. Renewables for Climate Mitigation: An Energy Return on Investment Comparison”
- “Steering the Aluminum Industry in the face of the Energy Transition”
- Mathematical modeling of energy transition dynamics
- Policy mechanisms for renewable energy and storage adoption
- Behavioral incentives for consumption changes incl. energy as a complementary currency
- Techno-economic assessment and optimization of renewable energy generation technologies (e.g. solar cooling, post-combustion carbon capture and storage)
- Food security, biofuels and Agriculture and Food system Energy Return on Energy Invested
- Renewable energy and development.
- Bardi, U., & Sgouridis, S. (2017). In Support of a Physics-Based Energy Transition Planning: Sowing Our Future Energy Needs. BioPhysical Economics and Resource Quality, 2(4), 7133. http://doi.org/10.1007/s41247-017-0031-2
- Kaya, A., Csala, D., & Sgouridis, S. (2017). Constant elasticity of substitution functions for energy modeling in general equilibrium integrated assessment models: a critical review and recommendations. Climatic Change, 43, 225–14. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10584-017-2077-y
- Sgouridis, S., Helmers, E., & Hadhrami, Al, M. (2017). Light-duty electric vehicles in the gulf? Techno-economic assessment and policy implications. International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 12(2), 92–106. http://doi.org/10.1080/15568318.2017.1332256
- Raugei, M., Sgouridis, S., Murphy, D., Fthenakis, V., Frischknecht, R., Breyer, C., et al. (2017) “Energy Return on Energy Invested (ERoEI) for photovoltaic solar systems in regions of moderate insolation: A comprehensive response and rebuttal”. (2017). Energy Policy, 102(C), 377–384. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2016.12.042
- Bardi, U., Perissi, I., Csala, D., & Sgouridis, S. (2016). The Sower’s Way: A Strategy to Attain the Energy Transition. International Journal of Heat and Technology, 34 (Special Issue 2), S263–S265. http://doi.org/10.18280/ijht.34S211
- Warshay, B., Brown, J. J., & Sgouridis, S. (2016). Life cycle assessment of integrated seawater agriculture in the Arabian (Persian) Gulf as a potential food and aviation biofuel resource. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 39(6), 409. http://doi.org/10.1007/s11367-016-1215-5
- Sgouridis, S., Csala, D., & Bardi, U. (2016). The sower’s way: quantifying the narrowing net-energy pathways to a global energy transition. Environmental Research Letters, 11(9). http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/11/9/094009
- Sgouridis, S., Abdullah, A., Griffiths, S., Saygin, D., Wagner, N., Gielen, D., et al. (2015). “RE-mapping the UAE’s energy transition: An economy-wide assessment of renewable energy options and their policy implications.” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 1–15. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.05.039
- Sgouridis, S. and D. Csala, (2014) “A Framework for Defining Sustainable Energy Transitions: Principles, Dynamics, and Implications.” Sustainability, 6, 2601-2622. http://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/6/5/2601
- Sgouridis, S. (2014). “Defusing the Energy Trap: The Potential of Energy-Denominated Currencies to facilitate a Sustainable Energy Transition.” Frontiers in Energy Research: Energy Systems and Policy. http://doi.org/10.3389/fenrg.2014.00008
- Cybulska, I, T. Chaturvedi, A. Alassali, G. P. Brudecki, J. Brown, S. Sgouridis, and M. H. Thomsen. (2014). “Characterization of the Chemical Composition of the Halophyte Salicornia Bigelovii under Cultivation.” Energy & Fuels 28 (6): 3873–83. http://doi.org/10.1021/ef500478b
- Sgouridis, S., S. Griffiths, S. Kennedy, A. Khalid, and N. Zurita (2013). “A Sustainable Energy Transition Strategy For The United Arab Emirates: Evaluation Of Options Using An Integrated Energy Model.” Energy Strategy Reviews, Volume 2, Issue 1, June 2013, Pages 8–18. SPECIAL ISSUE: Strategy Options and Models for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Energy Transition. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.esr.2013.03.002
- Yousef, L., W. al Yamani, S. Kennedy, S. Sgouridis (2013). “A Land Suitability study for the sustainable cultivation of the halophyte Salicornia bigelovii: the Case of Abu Dhabi, UAE”. Arid Land Research and Management. Volume 27, Issue 4, 2013. http://doi.org/10.1080/15324982.2013.771230
- Morrison, J. K.D., R. J. Hansman and S. Sgouridis (2011). “Game Theory Analysis of the Impact of Single Aisle Aircraft Competition on Fleet Emissions.” Journal of Aircraft. Vol. 49 no. 2 (483-494). http://doi.org/10.2514/1.58040
- Mokhtar, M., M. T. Ali, R. Khalilpour, A. Abbas, N. Shah, A. Al Hajaj, P. Armstrong, M. Chiesa, and S. Sgouridis. (2011) “Solar-assisted Post-combustion Carbon Capture feasibility study.” Applied Energy. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.07.032
- Kennedy, S. and S. Sgouridis. (2011) “Rigorous Classification and Carbon Accounting Principles for Low- and Zero-carbon Cities.” Energy Policy. http://doi.org10.1016/j.enpol.2011.05.038
- Mueller, K., and S. Sgouridis (2011) “Simulation-based Analysis of Personal Rapid Transit System Implementation: Application in Masdar City Transportation System.” Journal of Advanced Transportation, http://doi.org/10.1002/atr.158
- Warshay, B., J. Pan, and S. Sgouridis. (2011) “Aviation Industry’s Quest for a Sustainable Fuel: Considerations of Scale and Modal Opportunity Carbon Benefit.” Biofuels. Volume 2, Number 1, January 2011 , pp. 33-58(26). http://doi.org/10.4155/bfs.10.70
- Sgouridis, S. and S. Kennedy. (2010). “Tangible and fungible energy: Hybrid energy market and currency system for total energy management. A Masdar City case study.” Energy Policy Volume 38, Issue 4, April 2010, Pages 1749-1758, http://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2009.11.049
- Sgouridis, S., P. Bonnefoy, and R. J. Hansman (2010). “Air transportation for a carbon constrained world: Long-term Dynamics of Policies and Strategies for Mitigating the Carbon Footprint of Commercial Aviation.” Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.tra.2010.03.019
- Mokhtar, M., M. T. Ali, S. Bräuniger, A. Afshari, S. Sgouridis, P. Armstrong and M. Chiesa. (2010) “Systematic comprehensive techno-economic assessment of solar cooling technologies using location-specific climate data” Applied Energy. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2010.06.026
- Dikos, G., and S. Sgouridis (2008) “Double Hull Phase-In in the Maritime Industry: The Effects of Sunk Cost and Uncertainty.” International Journal of Ocean Systems Management 2008 – Vol. 1, No.1 pp. 100 – 117 http://dx.doi.org/10.1504/IJOSM.2008.017784
- Sussman, J., S. Sgouridis, and J. Ward. (2005) “New Approach to Transportation Planning for the 21st Century: Regional Strategic Transportation Planning as a CLIOS Process,” Transportation Research Record 1931 (2005), National Academy Press, Washington, DC. https://doi.org/10.3141/1931-12
- Sgouridis, S., D. Makris, and D. Angelides. (2003) “Simulation Analysis for Midterm Yard Planning in a Container Terminal.” Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, Vol. 129, No. 4, July/August. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-950X(2003)129:4(178)
Refereed Conference Papers & Proceedings
- Musi, R., Grange, B., Sgouridis, S., Guedez, R., Armstrong, P., Slocum, A., & Calvet, N. (2018). Techno-economic analysis of concentrated solar power plants in terms of levelized cost of electricity (Vol. 1850, pp. 160018–12). Presented at the SOLARPACES 2016: International Conference on Concentrating Solar Power and Chemical Energy Systems, Author(s). http://doi.org/10.1063/1.4984552
- Eom, D., Sgouridis, S., S. Kennedy (2016) “Comparison of Financing Mechanisms in Facilitating Rural Electrification in Tanzania – Using Agent-Based Modeling”, Green Growth Knowledge Platform (GGKP), Fourth Annual Conference on Transforming Development Through Inclusive Green Growth, Jeju Island, Korea, September 6-7, 2016. Won the best young researcher paper award.
- Tuomiranta, A., M. Jayyousi, L. Calisto, S. Sgouridis, S. N. Beegum, M. Ibarra, J. Estima and H. Ghedira. (2015) “Geospatial Quantification of the Energy Economic Potential for Utility-Scale Photovoltaics: Case of the United Arab Emirates.” Solar World Congress 2015. Daegu, Korea, 08 – 12 November 2015
- Sgouridis, S. and D. Csala. (2015). “Renewable Energy Investment Ratio: A Critical Parameter for the Global Energy Transition.” 34th International Energy Workshop, Abu Dhabi UAE. June 2015.
- Karapetyan, A., Yaqub, W., Kirakosyan, A., & Sgouridis, S. (2015). “A Two-stage Comparative Life Cycle Assessment of Paper-based and Software-based Business Cards.” Procedia Computer Science, 52, 819–826. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2015.05.138
- Brimmo, A., O. Ogungbesan, A. Nwobi, and S. Sgouridis. (2013) ‘Sustainable Use Of Oil Palm Products As Biomass Energy Sources: The Case Of Nigeria.” International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE). Pretoria, S. Africa.
- Rashid, K., F. Chowdhury, O. Qureshi, M. Yasin and S. Sgouridis. (2013) “Techno-Economic Analysis of Algal Biodiesel Production in UAE.” International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE). Pretoria, S. Africa.
- Hutchins J., S. Sgouridis, and M. Chiesa (2011) “Extending the Economic Life of Onshore Petroleum Wells by Using Geothermal Fluid Electricity Co-production.” Geothermal Energy Utilization Associated with Oil & Gas Development Conference, SMU. June 14-16. Texas.
- Kar, R., P. Bonnefoy, R. J. Hansman, and S. Sgouridis (2011). “Assessment of the Fleet-wide Effects of Diffusion Dynamics of New Fuel Efficient Aircraft: Implications for Aircraft Manufacturer Strategies and Public Policy.” 90th Transportation Research Board Meeting. Washington DC. Paper #11-4293
- Lin, P. Y., A. Khalid, S. Kennedy and S. Sgouridis. (2010) “Sensitivity of CO2 Emissions to Renewable Energy Penetration for Regions Utilizing Power and Water Cogeneration.” 8th Global Conference on Sustainable Manufacturing.
- Morrison, J., P. Bonnefoy, R. J. Hansman, and S. Sgouridis (2010). “Investigation of the Impacts of Effective Fuel Cost Increase on the US Air Transportation Network and Fleet.” 10th Aviation, Technology, Integration, Operations Conference. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- Kar, R., P. Bonnefoy, R. J. Hansman, and S. Sgouridis (2009). “Dynamics of Implementation of Mitigating Measures to Reduce Commercial Aviation’s Environmental Impacts.” 9th Aviation, Technology, Integration, Operations Conference. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- Sgouridis, S. and D.C. Angelides, (2002) “Simulation-based analysis of handling inbound containers in a terminal.” Proceedings of the 2002 Winter Simulation Conference
- Sgouridis S. 2016. “Keeping the Fires Lit: Energy in a Time of Transition.” Nomiki Vivliothiki, Athens, Greece.
- Lin, P., A. Khalid, S. Kennedy, and S. Sgouridis. 2011. “Sensitivity of CO2 Emissions to Renewable Energy Penetration for Regions Utilizing Power and Water Cogeneration.” In Advances in Sustainable Manufacturing, edited by Günther Seliger, Marwan M. K. Khraisheh, and I. S. Jawahir, 287–92. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-20183-7_41.
- Brown, N., and S. Sgouridis (2010) Chapter 3 in Modal Primer on Greenhouse Gas and Energy Issues for the Transportation Industry. Air Transportation. Transportation Research Circular. Number E-C143 Climate Change Taskforce. Transportation Research Board, Washington DC.
- Abdullah, A., S. Sgouridis, and S. Griffiths. (2014) IRENA Renewable Energy Roadmap 2030 (REMAP): UAE Report. Masdar Institute. Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- S. Sgouridis, M. al Hadrhami. (2013) Directory
- Warshay, B., S. Sgouridis, and S. Kennedy (2010) Sustainability Assessment of Integrated Seawater Agriculture Systems for the Production of Biofuels: Potential for Implementation, Data Gaps, and Environmental Impact.Masdar Institute, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Hutchins J., S. Sgouridis, M. Chiesa, and A. Afshari (2012) “Methodology for Evaluating the Potential for Geothermal Use of Onshore Petroleum Wells.” To be submitted to Applied Energy
- Lin, P. Y., S. Kennedy and S. Sgouridis. (2012) “Water is not Free: a methodology for evaluating water policy in arid regions.” Under review at Energy Policy
- Sgouridis S. “Evaluation of Energy-Denominated Currency Policies under a Framework for Sustainable Energy Transitions.” (2012) Under review at Energy Policy.
- Sgouridis, S., J. Sussman, H. Weil, K. Bozdogan (2008). “Taming the Business Cycles in Commercial Aviation: Trade-space analysis of strategic policies across stakeholders using simulation modeling.” ESD Working Paper Series
- Sgouridis, S., J. Sussman, C. Glazner (2006). “Characterizing Three Engineering Systems Methods for Supporting Regional Strategic Transportation Planning Applied to Freight Systems”. ESD Working Paper Series
Non-refereed conference papers
- Sgouridis S. (2009) “Is the path to a sustainable future narrowing? A framework for evaluating the implications of the financial crisis on sustainability using historical precedent and system dynamics.” Presented in 15th International Sustainable Development Research Conference
- Sitler, J and S. Sgouridis. (2009) “Towards Comprehensive Greenhouse Gas Emissions Trading: An Analysis of Carbon and Fuel Price Correlation.” Presented in 15th International Sustainable Development Research Conference
Conference Presentations (Selected)
- Sgouridis S. (2015). “Fossil Fuels and the 20 trillion Watt Question: The Role of Fossil Fuel Exporters in a Sustainable Energy Transition.” Invited Plenary Presentation. 34th International Energy Workshop, Abu Dhabi UAE. June 2015.
- Sgouridis S. (2014). “The UAE REmap 2030 Analysis: Towards a sustainable energy mix.” Presented at a side-event of the 7th IRENA Council. June 2014. Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Sgouridis, S. (2013). “Energy and Sustainable Development: why we need a Sustainable Energy Transition.” Invited. Harvard Project for Asian and International Relations. Dubai, UAE.
- Sgouridis, S. (2013). “The demand side: Steering the Energy Intensity of the Economy towards a Sustainable Transition.” Invited. Global Energy Systems Conference. Edinburgh, UK. (video link)
- Sgouridis, S. (2012). “Energy-Denominated Currencies a Viable Pathway for Sustainable Societal Transitions.” Invited. First International Societal Transformation Conference. Split, Croatia. July 10-12.
- Presentation at the EU-GCC Clean Energy Network Workshop. “Demand Response and Incentive Schemes Overview”. Brussels May 11 2011
- Sgouridis, S., (2011) Invited. Lecture to World Biofuel Energy Markets Conference. “Saline Bioenergy Update: Lifecycle Potential of Integrated Seawater Agriculture Systems” Rotterdam, March 17, 2011
- Sgouridis, S., (2010) Invited. Lecture to Sustainable Way for Alternative Fuel and Energy in Aviation (SWAFEA) 2nd Stakeholder Conference. “Saline Bioenergy: Potential of Integrated Seawater Agriculture Systems. UPDATE” Munich July 15, 2010
- Sgouridis, S., (2010) Invited. Lecture to Business Aviation Conference. “Biofuel Potential for Business Aviation” Abu Dhabi, May 18, 2010
- Sgouridis, S., (2010) Invited. Lecture to World Biofuel Energy Markets Conference. “Saline Bioenergy: Lifecycle Potential of Integrated Seawater Agriculture Systems” Amsterdam, March 17, 2010
- Sgouridis, S. Greenomics Conference. “Masdar Institute: Greening the UAE one mind at a time”. 03/10/2009. Dubai. Minister of Environment was present at the talk.
- Sgouridis, S. Gulf Renewable Energy Roundtable. Invited Lecture. “Renewable Energy In the Gulf: From Oxymoron to Necessity.” Organized by the Gulf Research Center. 21/10/09. (Z).
- Sgouridis, S., S. Kennedy, and B. Warshay. “Bio-jet fuel: The Potential of Integrated Seawater Farming: A Lifecycle Assessment Study.” Greener Skies Conference, Hong Kong. 06/10/2009.
- Sgouridis, S. and J. Sussman, (2006) “Modeling Methodologies for Integrating Regional Strategic Freight Transportation Planning and Supply Chain Management.” 9th International Conference on Technology Policy and Innovation: “Science, Society and Sustainability” Santorini, Greece. June, 19th
- Sgouridis, S. and J. Sussman (2005), “Integrating Regional Strategic Transportation Planning and Supply Chain Management. Along the Path to Sustainability,” 10th TRB Transportation Planning Applications Conference. Portland, OR.
- Csala D. and S. Sgouridis (2017) “100% renewable by 2050: the technology already exists to make it happen.” The Conversation. (Link)
- Sgouridis S. (2014) “The Energy Trap and How the World and the UAE can Avoid It.” The National. Oped Published on 24/08/2014 in the print edition. Republished at Sustainnovate (Link) and CleanTechnica (Link)
- Sgouridis S. (2012) “Using energy as currency: re-establishing the bridge between the financial and the real world” Network Industries Quarterly, EPFL, Vol. 14, no 2 & 3.
- Sgouridis S. (2012) “Time-Of-Use Rewards: How Smart Grids Can Support Demand Response In The GCC” Metering International, Issue 3.
- Sgouridis S. (2012) “Are we on course for s sustainable biofuel-based aviation future?” Biofuels 3(3), 243-246 Future Science Group.
- Sgouridis S. (2012) “The unrealized Potential of Personal Rapid Transit” Network Industries Quarterly, EPFL, Vol. 14, no 1.
- Sgouridis S. (2010) “From Green to Smart: advantages of a smart supply chain.” LOG Middle East. Iss. 27. March.
- Sgouridis S. (2009) “Focusing on Green: Forefront or Backseat?” LOG Middle East. Iss. 16. March.
- Sgouridis S. (2008) “For the Long Haul. The case for more sustainable aviation: challenges and opportunities in a carbon constrained world.” LOG Middle East. Iss. 5. March.
- Sgouridis, S., and S. Kennedy “Hybrid Energy Market and Currency System for Total Energy Management” P038305GB/USO (10023-22188). Application process halted as the commercial potential of the patent was limited. Notably since then, the development of energy-based currencies using blockchain has increased.