Dr. Rodney J. Simmons
Associate Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering Department
Dr. Rod Simmons is currently an Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the Petroleum Institute (PI) in Abu Dhabi, with primary responsibility for teaching and research to support the PI’s Master of Engineering program in Health, Safety, and Environmental Engineering. Dr. Simmons also teaches HSE professional development courses for engineers employed by the ADNOC operating companies. During his career at the PI, Dr. Simmons has served as a member of the PI HSE Council.
His main research interest is in the area of Risk Analysis and Risk Management, along with Occupational Safety and Health, with an emphasis on decision making to support excellence in HSE performance in the ONG industry He also has a professional interest in HSE manpower development, HSE professional credentialing, and competency assurance.
Dr. Simmons has published two books, edited four proceedings, plus numerous articles in renowned refereed journals and conference proceedings. He also delivered several keynote presentations in international conferences and is the author of a few book chapters. Furthermore, he serves as a reviewer for reputable international journals in the area of health, safety and environmental research.
Dr. Simmons is the elected President of the International System Safety Society for 2015-2017. A recognized leader in the system safety profession, he was elected a Fellow of the Society in 2012. He is the only academic in the world to be certified by examination in five different areas of professional safety practice (engineering, system safety, management, construction safety, and comprehensive practice) by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (USA), which currently has approximately 15,000 certificate holders.
Address: Abu Dhabi UAE
Telephone: +971-2-607 5122
Fax: +971-(0)2-607 5194
- Ph.D. Industrial Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA (1977-1993)
- S. M. Industrial Hygiene, Harvard University, School of Public Health, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA (1976–1978)
- M.S. Chemistry (Environmental), California State University, Northridge, California USA (1975-1976)
- B.S. Environmental Health Science, California State University, Northridge, California USA (1970-1975)
- Dr. Simmons teaches HSE professional development courses for engineers employed by the ADNOC operating companies
- Applications of process/system safety analysis techniques in ONG industry
- Engineering culture change (HSE through design)
- Asset Integrity
- Occupational safety and health decision making
- Risk analysis/management
Articles in Refereed Journals
- C.-Y. Cheng, S.-F. Li S.-J. Chu, C.-Y. Yeh and R.J. Simmons, “Application of fault tree analysis to assess inventory risk: a practical case from aerospace manufacturing” Int. J. Prod. Res.DOI:10.1080/00207543.2013.825744, August 2013.
- A.M. Al-Hemoud, R.J. Simmons, and M.M. Al-Asfoor, “Behavior and Lifestyle Characteristics of Male Kuwaiti Drivers,” J. Safety Research, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 307-313. August 2010.
- P.L. Clemens, T.F. Pfitzer, R.J. Simmons, S. Dwyer, J. Frost and E. Olson, “The RAC Matrix: A Universal Tool or a Toolkit?” J. System Safety, Vol. 41, No. 2, pp 14-19, 41-42, March/April 2005
- H.F. Thomas, R.J. Simmons, G. Jin, A.A. Almeda and A.M. Mannos, “Comparison of Student Outcomes for a Classroom-based vs. an Internet-based Construction Safety Course.” J. Safety, Health, and Environ. Res.,Vol. 2, No. 1. (electronic journal http://www.asse.org/academicsjournal/05spring_featurearticle03.html) Spring 2005.
- P.L. Clemens and R.J. Simmons, “The Risk Exposure Interval–Too Often an Analyst’s Trap, ” J. System Safety Vol 37, No. 1, pp 8-11, First Quarter 2001.
- S.M. Duma, T.A. Kress, D.J. Porta, R.J. Simmons, C.L. Alexander and C.D. Woods, “Airbag-Induced Eye Injuries: Experiments with In Situ Cadaver Eyes,” Biomed. Sci. Instrum., Vol. 33:106-11, 1997.
- S.M. Duma, T. Kress, D. Porta, P. Martin, R.J. Simmons and C. Alexander, “An Experimental Study of Airbag Impact to the Orbit Using an Instrumented Hybrid III Headform,” Biomed. Sci. Instrum., Vol. 33:59-64, 1997.
- S.M. Duma, T. Kress, D. Porta, C. Woods, J. Snider, P. Fuller and R.J. Simmons, “Air Bag Induced Eye Injuries: A Report of 25 Cases,” J. Trauma Vol. 41, No.1, pp. 114-119, 1996.
- R. Baluyut , A.M. Genaidy, S.L. Davis, R.L. Shell and R.J. Simmons, “The Visual Estimation of Static Non-neutral Postures: Magnitudes and Sources of Errors,” Ergonom., Vol. 38, No. 9, pp. 1841-1850, 1995.
- A.M. Genaidy, R.J. Simmons and D. Christensen, “Can back supports relieve the load on the lumbar spine for employees engaged in industrial operations?” Ergonom. Vol. 38, No. 5, pp. 996-1010, 1995.
Books and Book Chapters
- F. Ozturk, T. Deveci, E. Gunister, and R.J. Simmons, “Innovative Instructional Strategies for Teaching Materials Science in Engineering” in Recent Developments in Materials Science and Corrosion Engineering Education. Hershey, PA: IGI Global, Editor: Hwee L. Lim, doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-8183-5J. 2015.
- R.J. Simmons, Editor, Proc. 28th Int. System Safety Conf., Minneapolis, MN, USA, August 30 – September 3, 2010, Unionville, VA: System Safety Society, (ISBN: 0-9721385-9-5), 2010.
- R.J. Simmons, D. Mohan, and M. Mullane, Editors, Proc. 26th Int. System Safety Conf.e, Vancouver, BC, CANADA August 25 – August 29, 2008, Unionville, VA: System Safety Society. (ISBN: 0-9721385-8-7), 2008.
- P.L. Clemens and R.J. Simmons, System Safety and Risk Management, Cincinnati, OH: Nat. Inst. for Occupat. Safety and Health, 1998.
- R.L. Shell and R.J. Simmons, An Engineering Approach to Occupational Safety and Health in Business and Industry. Institute of Industrial Engineers. Norcross-Atlanta, GA (ISBN: 978-0898061093) 1990.
Articles in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- D.N. Bak and R.J. Simmons, “Case Study: A Risk-informed, Performance-Based Approach to the Design of a Streamlined Fire Suppression System for a 23-station Underground Train Line“, in Proc 33rd Int. System Safety Conf., San Diego, CA, USA, 24-27 August 2015, Unionville, VA: System Safety Society, 2015.
- D.N. Bak and R.J. Simmons, “Overcoming Cultural Differences in Risk Assessment: Lessons from the Practice of Fire Protection Engineering, in Proc 33rd Int. System Safety Conf., San Diego, CA, USA, 24-27 August 2015, Unionville, VA: System Safety Society, 2015.
- C.C. Rodrigues, R.J. Simmons and J.P. Atanas, “Quantifying HSE culture – a leading indicator of HSE performance: An energy industry case study.” in Proc. Abu Dhabi Int. Petro. Expo. & Conf., Abu Dhabi, UAE, 10-13 November 2014, Paper no. SPE-172066-MS, Dubai, UAE: Soc. Petrol. Eng., 2014.
- A.J. Al Ali, A.H. Siddique and R.J. Simmons, “Health, Safety, and Environmental Considerations for a Photovoltaic-based Power Generation System for Oil Rigs in Remote Locations.” in Proc. Abu Dhabi Int. Petro. Expo. & Conf., Abu Dhabi, UAE, 11-14 November 2012, Dubai, UAE: Soc. Petrol. Eng., 2012.
- R.J. Simmons, C.C. Rodrigues and R.A. Kady, “Incorporating Concepts From the Science of Learning to Improve Content Delivery In a System Safety Course,” in Proc. 30th Int. System Safety Conf., Atlanta, GA, USA, 6-10 August 2012, Unionville, VA: System Safety Society, 2012.
Invited Seminars & Conference Presentations / Posters
- R.J. Simmons, “Creating and Sustaining a Culture of HSE Through Design in Your Engineering Organization,” presented as an invited keynote address at the 4th Middle East Occupat. Safety and Health Strategy Summit, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 5 May 2015.
- R.J. Simmons, C. Rodrigues and F. Khasawaneh, “The potential of RFID utilization in addressing oil and gas HSE challenges,” presented at ADRAC-2014, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 26 February 2014.
- R.J. Simmons, “Building an Engineering Organizational Culture of Safety Through Design: A Multi-National Perspective,” presented as an invited keynote address at the Kuwait Process Safety Management Conf., Kuwait City, Kuwait, 01 October 2013.
- R.J. Simmons, “Strategies for Building an Engineering Organizational Culture of Safety Through Design,” presented as an invited keynote address at 2nd Middle EastOccupat. Safety and Health Strategy Summit, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 25 February 2013.
- R.J. Simmons, “Building an Engineering Organizational Culture of Safety Through Design: Experiences from Abroad,” presented as an invited keynote address at the 6th Safety Culture Forum at Beijing, Beijing, China, 27 November 2012.