Dr. Praveen Maghelal
Associate Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering Department
Dr. Praveen Maghelal has an interdisciplinary educational and professional background in civil engineering, architecture, and urban planning. He obtained his PhD in Urban and Regional Sciences from the Texas A&M University and has taught at the Florida Atlantic University and the University of North Texas before joining Masdar Institute in 2015.
Dr. Maghelal’s research focuses on planning sustainable communities with sustainable modes of transportation. His work investigates the role of the built-environment on sustainable and active modes of transportation; the relationship of land use and transportation on healthy communities; and the relationship of land use on sustainable modes of transportation such as walking, biking, and public transportation.
He has published papers in top journals in planning such as the Journal of Planning Education and Research, Transportation Research D, and his co-authored article won the Best Article Award from the Journal of American Planning Association.
Address: Abu Dhabi UAE
Telephone: +971-2-810 9418
- PhD in Urban and Regional Sciences from the Texas A&M University
- SCI509: Comparative Land Use and Transportation Planning
- Sustainable Transportation Planning
- Active living and Built Environment
- Land Use and Transportation
- Community Health and Safety
- Jang, HS and Maghelal, P. Exploring Millennial Generation in Task Values and Sector Choice: A Case of Employment in Planning. International Journal of Public Administration. (Forthcoming)
- Maghelal, P. (2011). Walking to Transit: Influence of Built Environment at Varying Distances. Institute of Transportation Engineers Journal, Vol. 81, No. 2. Pg. 38-43
- Maghelal, P. (2011). Investigating the Relationships among Rising Fuel Prices, Increased Transit Ridership, and CO2 Emissions. Transportation Research D: Environment and Transportation, Vol. 16D, No. 3, Pg 232-235