Dr. Clarence Rodrigues
Associate Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering Department
Dr. Clarence Rodrigues is currently an Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Program Coordinator for the M. Eng. in Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Engineering degree, and HSE Manager (acting) for PI operations, at the Petroleum Institute. In addition to establishing a university-wide HSE program and a new department (on the operations side), he lead the effort to develop and get approved (on the academic side) the Master’s HSE Engineering degree that is structured for the oil, gas, petrochemical, and related industries.
Prior to his current employment with the Petroleum Institute, he was a tenured, full-professor in the college of aviation and the program chair for the BS in Safety Degree program at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) in Daytona Beach, Florida, USA. Before joining ERAU, he was on the safety department’s faculty at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) and he was also an OSHA consultant for the State of Pennsylvania.
Prior to the above, he was hired out of a tenure-track position in Industrial Engineering at the College of New Jersey, to lead Campbell Soup Company’s worldwide engineering program for ergonomics and system safety, which he did for 7 years. While Engineering Manager at Campbell Soup, he also held an adjunct faculty appointment at The University of Pennsylvania’s systems engineering department, teaching courses in human factors/ergonomics, manufacturing operations and project management.
Dr. Clarence has consulted for industry and for government, delivered several national and international presentations, and authored or co-authored numerous technical publications, including the text book “Commercial Aviation Safety”.
Address: Abu Dhabi UAE
Telephone: +971-2-607 5931
Fax: +971-(0)2-607 5628
- Ph.D. Industrial Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, USA (1985–1988)
- M.E. Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas USA (1983–1985)
- M. Tech. Environmental Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Mumbai, India (1980-1982)
- Civil Engineering, University of Mumbai, Mumbai, India (1976-1980)
- Human factors/ergonomics, manufacturing operations and project management.
- Process and occupational safety
- Human factors and ergonomics
- Asset Integrity Management
- Sustainability – Energy Management
Articles in Refereed Journals
- C. Rodrigues, “Course Content for Outcomes Based Ergonomics Education”, Journal of the American Society of Safety Engineers, Vol. 46. No 9, pp. 38-41, 2001.
- C. Rodrigues, “Ergonomics to the Aid – A Cost Justification Case Study”, Journal of the American Society of Safety Engineers, Vol. 46, No. 4, pp. 32-34, 2001.
- T. Fredericks, J. Fernandez and C. Rodrigues C., Psychophysically Acceptable Weights for Lifting Tasks Using Bags With Handles, Journal of Human Ergology, Vol. 23, 101-109, 1994.
- R. Thomas, J. Congleton, J. Whitely and C. Rodrigues, “An Investigation of Relationships Between Driver Comfort, Performance and Automobile Seat Type During Short Term Driving Tasks”, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, Vol.8, pp. 103-114, 1991.
- C. Rodrigues, J. Congleton, R. Koppa, and R Huchingson, “Maximum Acceptable Weight of Lift for an Asymmetrical Combination Manual Handling Task”, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, Vol. 4, pp. 245-253, 1989.
- Rodrigues, C.C. and Cusick, S. “Commercial Aviation Safety”, 5th Ed., McGraw Hill Publishing Co, 2011.
- Wells, A. and Rodrigues, C.C. “Commercial Aviation Safety”, 4th Ed., McGraw Hill Publishing Co, 2003.
Articles in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- C. Rodrigues, R. Simmons, and P. Atanas, “Quantifying HSE culture – a leading indicator of HSE performance: An energy industry case study”, Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exposition and Conference Abu Dhabi (ADIPEC), Abu Dhabi, UAE, Nov 10-13, 2014.
- R. Simmons, C. Rodrigues, and A. Al Khasawneh, “The potential of RFID utilization in addressing oil and gas HSE challenges” Abu Dhabi Research Academic Conference (ADRAC), Abu Dhabi UAE, 2014.
- C. Rodrigues, “OSHA’s PSM and Process Incidents Reporting”, 6th Annual Process Safety Implementation Summit, Abu Dhabi, UAE, September 29-Oct 1, 2014.
- C. Rodrigues and R. Simmons, “Development of an Engineering-based Master’s Degree Program in HSE for the Petroleum Industry”, SPE Middle East Health, Safety, Security and Environment Conference and Exhibition, Abu Dhabi, UAE, April 2-4, 2012.
- C. Rodrigues, C. C., J. Jeyalal and S. Unnithan, S., 2010. “A Carbon Footprint Management Program for Resource Consumption Cost Reduction”, SPE Middle East Health, Safety, Security and Environment Conference and Exhibition, Bahrain, October, 2010.
Invited Seminars & Conference Presentations / Posters
- C. Rodrigues, “Development of a Reliability Data Base Infrastructure for Asset Integrity Management”, presented at the ADNOC-OPCO Asset Integrity Management Forum, Abu Dhabi, April 22nd, 2014.
- C. Rodrigues, “Enhancing the Quality of Process Safety Training Content Delivery Using Science of Leaning Concepts”, Key-note delivered at the Kuwait Process Safety Management Conference, Kuwait, October 2nd, 2013.
- C. Rodrigues, “Ergonomics and Human Factors for Workplace Safety and Health, Workshop Presentation at the 2nd Middle East Health and Safety Strategy Summit, Abu Dhabi, February 25-27, 2013.
- C. Rodrigues, “HSE Education”, presented and the 2nd ADCO HSE Trainees & Developees’ Workshop, Abu Dhabi, September 5th, 2013.
- C. Rodrigues, “Assessing and Managing HSE Risk”, presented at the TAKREER Process Operations Program, ADNOC Technical Institute, December 9th, 2012.