Dr. Ali Bouabid
Assistant Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering Department
Dr. Ali Bouabid earned his PhD in Systems Engineering from the University of Virginia in 2013, following his MSc in Systems Engineering from the University of Virginia in 2004. Prior to that, Dr. Bouabid earned his MSc in Mechanical Engineering from the Conservatoire des Arts et Métiers of Paris in 1987.
Dr. Bouabid joined Khalifa University of Science and Technology in 2014 as an assistant professor in the General Studies Department at the College of Arts and Sciences, where he taught freshmen engineering courses and Engineering Design courses (I and II). He also occasionally taught the Mechanical Engineering Department Statics course (MEEG201). Following the Petroleum Institute’s merger to become part of the Khalifa University of Science and Technology in 2017 Dr. Bouabid joined the Industrial and Systems Engineering Department.
Prior to joining Khalifa University, Dr. Bouabid was Associate Professor and Engineering Program Coordinator at the Piedmont Virginia Community College in Charlottesville (PVCC) Virginia from 2006 to 2014. During his tenure at PVCC he contributed to the launch and development of all the engineering courses and laboratories of the program. He was also principal investigator of an National Science Foundation grant of US$500,000 from 2016 to 2012 aimed at expanding science, technology, engineering and mathematics education at PVCC.
Prior to his academic career, Dr. Bouabid worked in industry (manufacturing of electrical cables) for more than 10 years in Morocco, where he held several management positions, and in France (research and design).
Address: Abu Dhabi UAE
Telephone: +971-2-607 5182
- PhD in Systems Engineering from the University of Virginia in 2013, following his MSc in Systems Engineering from the University of Virginia in 2004
- ENGR111 Engineering design
- ESM505 System project management
- Systems engineering courses
- Environmental Systems engineering – Water supply and sanitation systems.
- Engineering education – freshmen engineering courses design and development.
- Bouabid A. *. Classification of Water Supply and Sanitation Technology Options Using Machine Learning Methods. Journal of Civil Engineering and Environmental Systems. Submitted August 2017
- Ainane S., Bouabid A. *, and El-Sokkary W. Reversing the Gender Gap – Women in the UAE Enrolling in Engineering Programs and Preparing for Careers in the Oil and Gas Industry. In proceedings of 124th ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, June 2017, Columbus, OH.
- Ainane S., Bouabid A. *, and El-Sokkary W. Evaluation and Recommendation for Improving Engineering Design Process Assessment – Conference proceedings – 8th First Year Engineering Experience 2016 Conference, Columbus, OH
- Bouabid A. *, Bielenberg B., Ainane S., Pasha N. Learning Outcomes Alignment across Engineering Core Courses – Conference proceedings – 18th International Conference on Educational Sciences and Effective Educational Instructions 2016, Paris, France.
- Louis G., Bouabid A*. A Method for Evaluating Water and Sanitation Infrastructure Choices for Developing Countries. Journal of Environmental Management. June 2015.
- Donohue S., Bouabid A. Establishing a Community College Pathway to Baccalaureate Systems Engineering Programs. In proceedings of 120th ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, June 2013.
- Louis G., Bouabid A. A Community Assessment Model for Sustainable Municipal Sanitation Services in Low-Income Communities. INCOSE, Mid-Atlantic Conference, November 2004.