Prof. Youssef Abdel-Magid
Youssef L. Abdel-Magid received the Ph.D. and the M.Sc. degrees from the University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada, and the B.Sc. (Honors) in from Cairo University, Egypt, all in Electrical Engineering. From 1976 to 1979, he was with Manitoba Hydro as a Tele-control Engineer. From 1979-2005, he was with the Electrical Engineering Department at King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals. In 2005, he joined the Petroleum Institute in Abu Dhabi as a Professor of Electrical Engineering.
He served as the Dean of Engineering at the Petroleum Institute from December 2010 to September 2014. During the 1990-1991 academic year, he was a visiting scholar at Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, and USA. He has published over 120 papers in international journals and conferences. He also authored or co-authored over 30 technical reports. Dr. Abdel-Magid is the recipient of numerous awards and honors.
He is a senior member of the IEEE, a member of the Association of the Professional Engineers of the province of Manitoba (APEM).
Dr. Abdel-Magid research interests include Adaptive and Robust Control, Power System Control and Optimization, Applications of AI Techniques in Power Systems, and Power system control with FACTS devices. He has participated in numerous funded research projects including a “Feasibility Study for Interconnection of Arabian Gulf States Electrical Power Systems”, and a “Feasibility Study for Interconnection of Mashreq Arab Countries Electrical Power systems”.
He served as the Dean of Engineering at the Petroleum Institute from Dec 2010 to Sep 2014, and has been appointed the Dean of Graduate School at the Petroleum Institute in October 2014
- PhDElectrical Engineering, University of Manitoba, Canada
- MScElectrical Engineering, University of Manitoba, Canada
- BScElectrical Engineering, Cairo University, Egypt
- Computer Vision and Visual Perception
- Autonomous Robotic Systems
- Processing and Analysis of 3D Bio-Signals
- Signal Processing and System Analysis
- Advanced Programmable Digital Systems
- Robust and Adaptive Control
- Power system Control and Optimization
- Applications of AI Techniques in Power Systems
- Power System Control with FACT Devices.
Articles in Refereed Journals (Recent Samples)
- F. Abdul Majeed, H. Karki, Y. Abdel Magid, M. Karkoub, “Experimental verification of drill string vibration suppression using adaptive self-tuning controller”, International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration, IIAV publishers, vol.8, No.1, March 2013, Pp.20-26.
- F. Abdul Majeed, M. Karkoub, H. Karki, Y. L. Abdel Magid, “Drill Bit Whirl Mitigation Analysis – An Under Actuated System Perspective”, International Journal of Sustainable Energy Development (IJSED), Volume 1, Issue 2, ISSN: 2046-3707, June 2012, Pp.36-40.
- F. Abdul Majeed, M. Karkoub, H. Karki, Y. Abdel Magid, Identification of a Box Jenkins Model for Rotary Drilling Laboratory Prototype, Int. Journal of Modelling, Identification and Control, Inder science publications, vol.17, No.4, 2012,Pp.302-314.
- F. Abdul Majeed, H. Karki, Y. Abdel Magid, M. Karkoub, Modeling by System Identification of a Nonlinear rotor system with an Un Actuated end, Accepted by Global Congress on Science and Engineering to be published in the Journal, Procedia Engineering, (ISSN: 1877-7058, ELSEVIER), Dec 2011,pp. 494-498.
- F. Abdul Majeed; H. Karki; Y. Abdel Magid; M. Karkoub, Analyses of the robustness of the mathematical model with the laboratory prototype of the drilling process during simulation and vibration control experiments, Book Series: WIT Transactions on Modelling and Simulation, Series Volume: 51, Published: 2011, pp. 307-316.
- C. M. Liao, B. Balachandran, M. Karkoub and Y. Abdel-Magid, “Drill-string dynamics: reduced-order models and experimental studies”, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, vol.133, no. 4, pp. 041008.1-8, 2011.
- M. Kashki, Y. L. Abdel-Magid and M. A. Abido, “Parameter Optimization of Multimachine Power System Conventional Stabilizers Using CDCARLA Method,” International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems 32 (2010), pp. 498-506.
- M. Karkoub, Y. L. Abdel-Magid “Drill-strings Torsional Vibration Suppression Using GA Optimized Controllers”, Journal of Canadian Petroleum Technology, Volume 48, Number 12, December 2009, 32-38
Articles in Refereed Conference Proceedings (Samples)
- B. Balachandran, M. Karkoub & Y. L. Abdel-Magid, “Drill string dynamics,” in Twelfth Conference on Nonlinear Vibrations, Dynamics and Multibody Systems, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, VA, 2008.
- Wail Al Habri, Mohamed Azzam, Mohamad Chaklab, Saif Al Dhaheri, Lisa Lamont, Syed Faisal, Youssef Abd El-Magid, “Design of PID for Power System Stabilization Using Particle Swarm Optimization”, EPECS 2009 Conference, Sharja UAE, November 2009 .
- F. Abdul Majeed, H. Karki, Y. L. Abdel-Magid and M. Karkoub, “Modeling by system identification of a nonlinear rotor system with an unactuated end”, in International Conference on Modeling, Simulation and Control, Cairo, Egypt, 2010, pp. 494-499.
- F. Abdul Majeed, H. Karki, Y. Abdel Magid, M. Karkoub, “Analysis of the method of Black box Modelling of Drill string Dynamics by Least Squares method”, Proceedings of International Conference on Mechanical and Electrical Technology, Sept 2010, by IEEE,Pp.257-261.
- F. Abdul Majeed, H. Karki, Y. Abdel-Magid and M. Karkoub, “Nonlinearity and spectrum analysis of drill strings with component mass unbalance”, in Proceedings of World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology Conference, Dubai, UAE, 2011, pp. 459-462
- T. Fouad, Y. Abdel-Magid, K. Al Hammadi and Hamad Karki, “An optimized chattering free sliding mode controller to suppress torsional vibrations in drilling strings”, in 6th IEEE GCC Conference and Exhibition, Dubai, UAE, 2011, pp. 573-576
- F. Abdul Majeed, H. Karki, Y. Abdel Magid, M. Karkoub, “Managing oil drilling efficiency in bend drill pipes – An under actuated system perspective”, Proceedings of World Congress on Sustainable Technologies (WCST-2011), IEEE,UK/RI Chapter, Nov.2011, Pp.129-133.