Prof. Huw Griffiths
Prof. H. Griffiths received the B.Sc. degree in electrical and electronic engineering from the Polytechnic of Wales and the Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from Cardiff University, U.K. Between 1978 and 1984, he worked for the South Wales Electricity Board in high voltage distribution system design and from 1984 to 1990 for the Central Electricity Generating Board in the Technology Planning and Research Division on EHV transmission system design and reactive compensation. From 1990 to 2016, he was Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Reader/Professor in the Advanced High Voltage Engineering Research Centre at Cardiff University. In Jan 2015, he was appointed Professor in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at Khalifa University of Science and Technology. In 2017, he was appointed Honorary Visiting Professor at Cardiff University. His research interests include grounding systems, transients and high voltage insulation. He has co-authored over 200 papers, is a chartered engineer and a member of the IET and IEEE. He has been active over many years in national and international committees for British Standards Institution, CENELEC and IEC as well as CIGRE and CIRED international technical working groups. (BSi PEL/99, BSi GEL/81, BSi GEL/600, TC99X WG1, IEC TC99/MT4, CIGRE/CIRED WG B3.35 and CIGRE WGC4.33).
- Ph.D.Electrical Engineering, Cardiff University, UK
- B.Sc.Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Polytechnic of Wales, UK
- Grounding of electrical power systems
- Transients in high voltage systems
- High voltage insulation
- Probabilistic risk assessment of high voltage systems
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Mousa S, Griffiths H, Harid N, Haddad A: ‘Experimental investigation of high frequency and transient performance of earth rod systems’, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 113, pp.196-203, 2014.
- Clark D, Guo D, Lathi D, Harid N, Griffiths H, Ainsley A, Haddad A: ‘Controlled Large-Scale Tests of Practical Grounding Electrodes-Part I: Test facility and measurement of site parameters’, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 29, No.3, pp. 1231- 239, 2014.
- Clark D, Guo D, Lathi D, Harid N, Griffiths H, Ainsley A, Haddad A: ‘Controlled Large-Scale Tests of Practical Grounding Electrodes-Part II: Comparison of Analytical and Numerical Predictions with Experimental Results’, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 29, No.3, pp. 1240 – 1248, 2014.
- El Mghairbi A, Harid N, Griffiths H, Haddad A: ‘Comparative assessment of enhancements to wind turbine earthing systems, IEEJ Transactions on Power and Energy B, Vol. 134, No. 7, 2014.
- Robson S, Griffiths H, Haddad A: ‘Fault location on a branched network using a multi-ended approach’, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 29, No. 4, DOI: 10.1109/TPWRD.2014.2302137, pp. 1955- 1963, 2014.
- R Sarathi; V Sri Harsha; H Griffiths ; A Haddad, ‘Understanding water droplet initiated discharges on Epoxy Nanocomposites under harmonic AC voltages adopting UHF technique’, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 21, No. 2, DOI: 10.1109/TDEI.2013.004378, pp. 918-925, 2014.
- Charalampidis P, Albano M, Griffiths H, Haddad A. and Waters R.T.:’Silicone Rubber Insulators for Polluted Environments Part 1: Enhanced Artificial Pollution Tests’ IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 21, No. 2, DOI: 10.1109/TDEI.2013.004015, pp.740-748, 2014.
- Albano M, Charalampidis P, Waters R.T, Griffiths H, and Haddad A: ‘Silicone Rubber Insulators for Polluted Environments Part 2: Textured Insulators’, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 21, No. 2, DOI: 10.1109/TDEI.2013.004016, pp. 749-757, 2014.
- El Mghairbi A, Ahmeda M, Harid N, Griffiths H, Haddad A: ‘Technique to increase the effective length of practical earth electrodes: simulation and field test results’, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 94, pp. 99-105, 2013.
- Dimopoulos A, Griffiths H, Harid N, Haddad A, Ainsley A, Guo D, Mpofu G, Proposal for Probabilistic Risk Assessment in Grounding Systems and Its Application to Transmission Substations, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery , Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 2219-2226, 2012.
- Griffiths H. and Pilling N.: Chap. 8 ‘Earthing‘ pp. 349-413 in Haddad A., and Warne D. (Eds.) : ‘Advances in high voltage engineering‘, IEE, 2004.
Articles in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Kamarudin M S, Chen L, Widger P, Elnaddab K H, Albano M, Griffiths H, Haddad A: “CF3I Gas and its Mixtures: Potential for Electrical Insulation”, in International Council on Large Electric Systems, CIGRE, Session 2014, Paris, France, paper D1_308_2014 Aug. 2014.
- Clark D, Griffiths H, Harid N, Haddad A, Guo D: ‘Wireless Measurement System for a Large-Scale Grounding Electrode Test Facility’, in Proceedings of the 48th International Universities Power Engineering Conference, paper PS15-292, Dublin, 2-5th Sept. 2013.
- Xie F., Haddad A. and H. Griffiths, Cardiff University, Single-Ended Fault Location Method Based on Wavelet Theory: Application to a Double-Circuit Transmission Line, in Proceedings of the 48th International Universities Power Engineering Conference, paper PS28-32, Dublin, 2-5th Sept. 2013.
- Clark D, Guo D, Lathi D, Griffiths H, Harid N, Haddad A, Ainsley A: ‘Large-scale tests of practical grounding electrodes, in XVIII International Symposium on High Voltage Engineering, Seoul, South Korea, August 25-30, paper OB1-04, pp.255-260, ISBN 978-89-8610-19-5, 2013.
- M. Albano*, P. Charalampidis, H. Griffiths, M. A. Haddad and R. T. Waters, ‘Improving the performance of silicone rubber insulators in severe environments, OE3-04, pp.1228-1233, in XVIII International Symposium on High Voltage Engineering, Seoul, South Korea, August 25-30, 2013, ISBN 978-89-8610-19-5.
Invited Seminars & Conference Presentations / Posters
- International Conference on Lightning Protection, Shanghai, Special Session on Lightning Protection systems, (2014)
- Doshisha University, Kyoto, Japan, International Masters programme, (2013)
- Padova University, Italy, EU Erasmus programme, (2013)
- Launch conference of BSEN62305 (Protection against Lightning), British Standards Institution, London, (2008)
- IET Power Convention, Imperial College, London, (2007)