Dr. Ahmed Al-Durra
Associate Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Dr. Ahmed Al-Durra received his PhD in ECE from Ohio State University in 2010. He is an Associate Professor in the ECE Department at Khalifa University of Science & Technology, UAE. His research interests are applications of control and estimation theory on power systems stability, Micro and Smart Grids, renewable energy systems and integration, and process control. He has one US patent, one edited book, 9 book chapters, and over 130 scientific articles in top-tier journals and refereed international conference proceedings. He has successfully accomplished and working on several research projects at international and national levels (6.5M USD). He has supervised/co-supervised over 20 PhD/Master students. He is leading the Energy Systems, Control & Optimization Lab at ADNOC Research & Innovation Center. Dr. Al-Durra is the Vice Chair of the IEEE Control Systems and Power Electronics Joint Societies Chapter – UAE Section and an Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy.
PhD. – Electrical & Computer Engineering – Control Systems, The Ohio State University, USA (2007–2010)
MSC. – Electrical & Computer Engineering – Control Systems, The Ohio State University, USA (2007–2010)
BSC. – Electrical & Computer Engineering – Control Systems, The Ohio State University, USA (2007–2010)
- Application of Control Theory on Power system analysis, dynamics and control.
- Application of intelligent control systems to Power Systems & Electrical Machine.
- Energy Storage Systems (ESSs).
- Renewable energy systems, Micro-Grids, and Smart-Grids.
- Process Control Applications to Oil & Gas Industry
- US Provisional Patent Application No. 62/039258, August 2014, inventors: M. Abou Khousa, A. Al-Durra, K. Al-Wahedi “Method and Apparatus to Detect Contaminants in Pressurized Fluid Flows.”.
Articles in Refereed Journals
- M. N. Ambia, and A. Al-Durra, “Adaptive Power Smoothing Control in Grid-connected and Islanding Modes of Hybrid Micro-grid Energy Management,” Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, Vol. 7, Issue 3, 033104, 2015.
- M. Abou-Khousa, A. Al-Durra, and K. Al-Wahedi, “Microwave Sensing System for Real-Time Monitoring of Solid Contaminants in Gas Flows,” IEEE Sensors Journal. Vol. 15, Issue 9, pp. 5296-5302, 2015.
- M. Kabalo, A. Al-Durra, S.M. Muyeen, and M. Simoes, “Bidirectional DC-DC Converter for Fuel Cell and Renewable Energy Hybrid Systems,” Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, Vol. 7, issue 1, 013119, 2015.
- M. N. Ambia, H. Hasanien, A. Al-Durra, and S. M. Muyeen, “Harmony Search Algorithm based Controller Parameters Optimization for a Distributed Generation System,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 30, No. 1, February 2015, pp. 246-255.
- E. Al-Hosani, M. Meribout, A. Al-Durra, K. Al-Wahedi, and S. Teniou, “A new optical-based device for online black powder detection in gas pipelines”, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Volume 63, Issue 9, September 2014, Article number 6762972, Pages 2238-2252.
- A. Al-Durra, “Adaptive Sliding Mode Observer for Engine Cylinder Pressure Imbalance Under Different Parameter Uncertainties”, IEEE Access, Volume 2, September 2014, Pages 1085-1091.
- M. N. Ambia, A. Al-Durra, C. Caruana, and S. M. Muyeen, “Power management of hybrid micro-grid system by a generic centralized supervisory control scheme”, Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, Volume 8, December 2014, Pages 57-65.
- Reznik, M. Simões, A. Al-Durra, and S.M. Muyeen, “LCL Filter Design and Performance Analysis for Grid Interconnected Systems”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 50 (2), 6571219, pp. 1225-1232, 2014.
- S.M. Muyeen, H. Hasanien, and A. Al-Durra, “Transient Stability Enhancement of Wind Farms Connected to a Multi-machine Power System by Using an Adaptive ANN-controlled SMES”, Energy Conversion and Management, 78, pp. 412-420, 2014.
- A. Sattar, A. Al-Durra, C. Caruana, S.M. Muyeen, and J. Tamura “Real-Time Implementation of BESS to Smooth the Output Power Fluctuation of Variable Speed Wind Turbine Generator”, IEEJ Journal of Industry Applications, Vol.3 No.3 pp.198–205, 2014.
Books & Book Chapters
- S.M. Muyeen, A. Al-Durra, and H. Hasanien, “Modeling and Control Aspects of Wind Power Systems,” Verlag, INTECH, ISBN 978-953-51-1042-2, 2013.
- A. Sattar, A. Al-Durra, and S.M.Muyeen, “Dynamic Characteristics Analysis of Wind Farm Integrated with STATCOM Using RTDS” Modeling and Control Aspects of Wind Power Systems, Verlag, INTECH, ISBN 978-953-51-1042-2, 2013.
- H. Hasanien, and A. Al-Durra, “Grid Connection Scheme of a Variable Speed Wind Turbine Driven Switched Reluctance Generator” in Wind Energy Conversion System: Technology and Trends, Verlag, UK, Springer, 2012, ch. 6, pp. 131-153.
- S.M.Muyeen, A. Al-Durra, and J. Tamura, “Transmission of Bulk Power from DC-based Offshore Wind Farm to Grid through HVDC System” in Wind Energy Conversion System: Technology and Trends, Verlag, UK, Springer, 2012, ch. 21, pp. 501-520.
- A. Al-Durra, S. Yurkovich and Y. Guezennec. “On the Control of Automotive Traction PEM Fuel Cell Systems,” in New Trends and Developments in Automotive System Engineering, Vienna, Austria, Ed. INTECH, 2011, ch. 16, pp. 309-342.
Articles in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- G. Islam and A. Al-Durra “LVRT Capability Improvement of a Grid-connected PV Park by Robust Sliding Mode Control,” American Control Conference (ACC 2015), July 1-3, 2015. Chicago, IL, USA.
- M. Babakmehrc, M. Simões, A. Al-Durra, F. Harirchi, Qi Han “Application of Compressive Sensing for Distributed and Structured Power Line Outage Detection in Smart Grids,” American Control Conference (ACC 2015), July 1-3, 2015. Chicago, IL, USA.
- A. Abu-Hajar, A. Al-Durra, and S. M. Muyeen “Low Pass Conditioning Filter in the dq Synchronous Frame for DFIG Systems Based on the Power Transfer Matrix,” 8th IEEE GCC Conference and Exhibition, Muscat, Oman, February 1-4, 2015.
- A. Al-Durra, A. Reznik, M. Simoes, S.M. Muyeen ” Performance Analysis of a Grid-tied Inverter for Renewable Energy Applications,” 2014 IEEE IECON, The 40th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Sheraton Hotel Dallas – Dallas, TX – USA, October 29 – November 1, 2014.
- C. Lute, M. Simões, D. Brandão, A. Al Durra, S.M. Muyeen, “Development of a Four Phase Floating Interleaved Boost Converter for Photovoltaic Systems,” IEEE Energy Conversion Congress & Expo Conference (ECCE2014), paper #2704, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, September 14-18, 2014.