Prof. Bayan Sharif
Address: P.O.Box: 127788, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Telephone: +971 (0)2-501 8595
Fax: +971 (0)2-4472442
Prof. Sharif has been the Dean of the College of Engineering at Khalifa University since September 2012. He boasts an impressive background in the field of engineering with over 25 years of experience in an academic setting. Professor Sharif received Bachelor and Doctorate Degrees from Queen’s University of Belfast and Ulster University, N. Ireland, in 1984 and 1988, respectively. He then held a Research Fellowship at Queen’s University of Belfast before he was appointed as Lecturer at Newcastle University in 1990, and then as Senior Lecturer and Professor in Digital Communications in 1999 and 2000, respectively. He holds a DSc from Newcastle University since 2013.
Prior to his appointment at Khalifa University, he worked as the Head of the School of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering at Newcastle University, United Kingdom. While in that post he was also the Director of Digital Communications, Chair of the Board of Examiners, and Head of the Communications and Signal Processing Research Group (CSP). As Head of CSP, he oversaw the establishment of a research lab dedicated to Sensors, Electromagnetics and Acoustics (SEALAB).
Prof. Sharif’s research interests are in digital communications with a focus on DSP algorithms for receiver structures and optimization of wireless networks. He has published over 300 journal and conference papers, presented several tutorials and invited talks in acoustic and radio networks. He has also held UK, EU, Industrial and RDA research grants in digital communications, underwater acoustics and signal processing worth over £5M. He is a Chartered Engineer and Fellow of the IEE.
- D.Sc., Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Newcastle University,UK, 2013
- Ph.D., Ulster University, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, UK, 1988
- B.Sc., (Hons.), Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Queens University of Belfast, UK, 1984
- Digital Communications
- Signal Processing
- Wireless Communications
- Sensor Networks
- Underwater Acoustics
- Johnston M, Sharif BS, Tsimenidis CC, Chen L. Sum-Product Algorithm Utilizing Soft Distances on Additive Impulsive Noise Channels. IEEE Transactions on Communications. 2013. Article in Press.
- Bouzid OM, Tian GY, Neasham J, Sharif B. Investigation of sampling frequency requirements for acoustic source localisation using wireless sensor networks. Applied Acoustics. 2013; 74 (2):269-274.
- Sabaawi AMA, Tsimenidis CC, Sharif BS. Analysis and modeling of infrared solar rectennas. IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics. 2013; 19 (3).
- Al-Dalakta E, Al-Dweik A, Hazmi A, Tsimenidis C, Sharif B. PAPR reduction scheme using maximum cross correlation. IEEE Communications Letters. 2012; 16(12):2032-2035.
- Ding Z, Xu M,Sharif B, Lu J. A general transmission scheme for Bi-directional communication by using eigenmode sharing. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. 2012; 30 (8):1477–1488.
- Al-Dalakta E, Al-Dweik A, Hazmi A, Tsimenidis C, Sharif B. Efficient BER Reduction Technique for Nonlinear OFDM Transmission Using Distortion Prediction. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 2012; 61 (5): 2330-2336.
- Al-Dweik A, Younis S, Hazmi A, Tsimenidis C, Sharif B. Efficient OFDM Symbol Timing Estimator Using Power Difference Measurements. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 2012; 61 (2):509-520.
- Al-Janabi MS, Tsimenidis CC, Sharif BS, LeGoff SY. Adaptive resource allocation for single-cell downlink orthogonal frequency division multiple access systems. IET Measurement & Technology Science. 2012; 6(3):149-158.
- Ahmed MS, Boussakta S, Sharif BS, Tsimenidis CC. OFDM based on low complexity transform to increase multipath resilience and reduce PAPR. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. 2011; 59(12):5994-6007.
- Al-Dweik A,Sharif B, Tsimenidis C. Accurate BER analysis of OFDM systems over static frequency-selective multipath fading channels. IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting. 2011; 57(4):895-901.
- Graham DJ, Neasham JA,Sharif BS. Investigation of methods for data communication and power delivery through metals. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2011;58(10):4972-4980.
- Aliesawi SA, Tsimenidis CC,Sharif BS, Johnston M. Iterative multiuser detection for underwater acoustic channels. IEEE Journal on Oceanic Engineering. 2011;36(4):728-744.
- Shah CP, Tsimenidis CC,Sharif BS, Neasham JA. Low-complexity iterative receiver structure for time-varying frequency-selective shallow underwater acoustic channels using BICM-ID: Design and experimental results. IEEE Journal on Oceanic Engineering. 2011;36(3):406-421
- Al Rawi AF,Sharif BS, Tsimenidis CC. User priority aware scheduling and dynamic resource allocation in orthogonal frequency division multiple access. IET Communications. 2011;5(7):1006-1019.
- Al-Dweik A,Sharif B. Closed-Chains Error Correction Technique for Turbo Product Codes. IEEE Transactions on Communications. 2011;59(3):632-638.
- Al-Dweik A, Hazmi A, Younis S, Sharif B, Tsimenidis C. Blind iterative frequency offset estimator for orthogonal frequency division multiplexing systems. IET Communications. 2010;4(16):2008-2019.
- Younis S, Al-Dweik A, Hazmi A,Sharif B, Tsimenidis C. Blind carrier frequency offset estimator for multi-input multi-output-orthogonal frequency division multiplexing systems over frequency-selective fading channels. IET Communications. 2010;4(6):990-999.
- Khoo BK, Xiao P, Le Goff SY,Sharif BS, Tsimenidis CC. Low-complexity transmit diversity scheme using moderate-sized signal constellations. Electronic Letters. 2010;46(6):460-1.
- Al-Dweik A, Hazmi A, Younis S,Sharif B, Tsimenidis C. Carrier frequency offset estimation for OFDM systems over mobile radio channels. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 2010;59(2):974-979.
- Al-Dweik AJ,Sharif BS. Exact performance analysis of synchronous FH-MFSK wireless networks. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 2009;58(7):3771-3776.
- Al-Dweik AJ,Sharif BS. Non-sequential decoding algorithm for hard iterative turbo product codes. IEEE Transactions on Communications. 2009;57(6):1545-1549.
- Le Goff SY, Al-Samahi SS, Khoo BK, Tsimenidis CC,Sharif BS. Selected mapping without side information for PAPR reduction in OFDM. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 2009;8(7):3320-3325.
- Al-Dweik A, Le Goff S,Sharif B. A hybrid decoder for block turbo codes. IEEE Transactions on Communications. 2009;57(5):1229-1232.
- Le Goff SY, Khoo BK, Tsimenidis CC,Sharif BS. A novel selected mapping technique for PAPR reduction in OFDM systems. IEEE Transactions on Communications. 2008;56(11):1775-1779.